mtbr member

Grouse Ridge Report....

Well actually Blue Lake, Grouse Ridge Spaulding lake trail reportfrom Yesterday 5/28. This was the second time Fresh and I have hit this ride this month and somebody has been busy out there....

AWESOME!!!!!

This loop is in fantastic shape...mostly due to the AWESOME work done by a few individuals. The work done lately on Spaulding lake trail is very, very cool.

Blue lake trail is in the best shape I have ever seen.

As we were about to descend from the intersection with Beyers Lake trail...an older gentleman hiker said he had done some clean up work on the downhill. "Enjoy"!
    Grouse Ridge trail is probably in the best shape I have ever seen it as fas as having a clear line and rock stacks in all the right places. Nice!

no snow or difficult stream crossings this time around.

plan on 4 hours or more to ride and enjoy this 15 mile loop and you will have an awesome time.
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice! Have you ended the ride by going down Pioneer tr to Langs crossing on Bowman lake rd? Talk about ending on a high note!

mtbr member

Almost

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Nice! Have you ended the ride by going down Pioneer tr to Langs crossing on Bowman lake rd? Talk about ending on a high note!
    We almost did by accident....forgot where I was going for a moment. We have been a little pressed for time on both excursions so just doing the loop from Fuller. I want to go out for an entire day and start at Langs. Do a little trail maintenance as well. More play time too!
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Starting at Langs is pretty manly. And it cuts WAY into beer drinking time. My favorite is having the wife shuttle to Grouse ridge and ending at Langs.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd like to give this a try, can you recommend some maps or links on the loop and trail head? Im familier with Fuller lake and have backpacked back into Island lake area. Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really like the National Geographic Tahoe national forest Sierra buttes / Donner Pass map.
    Found it at REI. It shows topo and a lot of great trails. You can even get it wet and it's strong. Well worth 13 bucks.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    great...I think I have that one already. Thanks for the tip

Vegan Athlete
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    perfect, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i'd love to see some pix...i've hiked up there (near spaulding lake) with my wife but haven't been to the trails you guys were on. it must be pretty difficult terrain.

Vegan Athlete
    I don't have any specifically of Blue Lake, but there are some pics and video from Spaulding: Daily Spin: Spaulding Lake Trail
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn View Post
    I don't have any specifically of Blue Lake, but there are some pics and video from Spaulding: Daily Spin: Spaulding Lake Trail
    Nice site Hyland!

here's some Blue lake tr.

blt1006 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

blt003 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

This is going down to Spaulding lake tr.

photo by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

Old man mountain from BLT.

blt001 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

I posted these a few months ago but like checking them out again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Had a hard time finding Pioneer

we did Blue Lakes-Spaulding the weekend before last, but couldn't find the start of Pioneer from the Spaulding Lake trial. We rode to Fuller Lake and back and still somehow missed it. At the big water pipes, we took the trail that followed the Lake Spaulding to the three dams, crossed the dams, and then ending up back on Hwy 20 above Bowman Lakes Road to Langs where we had the car. Good place to watch the Eclipse.

Where do you find the start of Pioneer?
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    we did Blue Lakes-Spaulding the weekend before last, but couldn't find the start of Pioneer from the Spaulding Lake trial. We rode to Fuller Lake and back and still somehow missed it. At the big water pipes, we took the trail that followed the Lake Spaulding to the three dams, crossed the dams, and then ending up back on Hwy 20 above Bowman Lakes Road to Langs where we had the car. Good place to watch the Eclipse.

Where do you find the start of Pioneer?
    I had the same problem last year... Vuduvgn provides info in post #11 here: Lk. Spaulding/Grouse Ridge camping/snow report?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good info, thanks!

Can't wait to get back up there.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rode this exact loop yesterday. Trail is in great shape. Someone has been doing alot of work to clean it up.

But just to be clear for anyone thinking about doing this ride....even cleaned-up this is a very technical ride. short sections of smooth single track punctuated with lots and lots of rocks.

One thing to be aware of....the overflow from the canals are running over the trail just after you pass UNDER the big pipe. It looked too swift for me to wade thru; so I had to climb up to the canals and walk the catwalk to get back to Fuller lake. (so you can get around/above the overflow). It would be a very long ride if you had to back track at that point.

mtbr member
    There's an easier way for when that spillway is running. There is a connector between Pioneer and that old roadbed that hooks up on the Fuller Lake side of the spillway. You can use it going and coming and it's nicer anyway. You still have to cross another different overflow but it's not the same at all. The connector doesn't get a lot of use and can be hard to spot but look for it and you will see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you're coming from Spaulding you go under the pipe a few feet before the wooden bridge. You won't see a trail but that's the way. It's crazy there's no marked rout.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sarurday June 9th ride.
    We rode from the trailhead at the top of Grouse ridge with a snowy start. The trail was hard to find for about 10 minutes. Some spots had 4 feet of snow. One new fallen tree in the first mile was about 40 inches in diameter. Richard from Outdoor Adventure Club was stoked to move logs so we opened up an ugly section of downed trees. The rest of the trail was a little muddy down to Spaulding lake with a few new fallen trees. The spillway on the trail to Fuller lake was running in a spectacular way so the alternate rout under the pipe before the wooden bridge was needed. Pioneer trail to Langs was perfect.