mtbr member
    May 2005

Grouse Ridge beatdown

No talk of flow or chunk....No *****in about this or that while hiding behind cute little internet names..... No beer reviews......No pissing on each others leg.....Just an actual ride report, well I'll be.

Took the dog up to Grouse Ridge for a nice little run out to the granite slabs up Fordyce Creek on the Spaulding Lake Trail on Sunday. The trail was in pretty good shape, a couple of trees down that were not there last year, but overall it's in pretty good shape for what it is. Saw a few families out for what must have been a Fathers Day outing, most were wondering what the hell I was doing out there on a bike, funny, I would imagine bikes are the only things keeping this trail open for the most part.

We just kind of cruised along, nothing too fast, Sasha is nearly 8 years old and loves to run, but she needs a slower, technical trail so she doesn't blow herself up, Spaulding Lake Trail is perfect for that. I hadn't really had a plan for the day, I knew I wanted to get the dog some exercise, but beyond that I had no real destination.

Sasha and I had lunch at the slabs and made our way back to the car. Passed a few dogs walking their owners without much trouble, I love it when you can get away from the masses and let your dog run, for the most part everyone else we met seemed to have the same idea.

Once we got back to the truck I had a decision to make, slack off and head back home with my mighty 9 mile mtb ride with the dog or head out for a lap of some Grouse Ridge action. I opted to head up to the lookout at Grouse Ridge. It had been years since I had made the climb up to the peak, I remember it being much harder back in the day.... The 6 mile 2000' climb rolled out pretty nicely, there were a few cars coming down but for the most part they were all really cool, mostly coming to a stop so I could pass without getting completely dusted out.

Once I made the peak it was decision time. I could roll the trails down to Lindsey/Carr Lakes and beyond or I could hit the Grouse Ridge South Trail back down to the Spaulding Lake Trail. I used to ride this trail pretty often, a couple of times a year at least, but my best guess is it's been nearly 10 years since I'd been down it.

I opted to drop down the South trail. It's pretty blown out and technical in spots, amazing in others, completely unrideable in yet more areas. Regardless, I had a great time, albeit being pretty careful since I was alone and not a soul but the dog knew where I was going. I was pretty sure I was lost at times, there were whole sections that I didn't remember one bit, mostly the rideable stuff, I seemed to remember it being a boulder field for much of the 4 miles down to Fordyce Creek, but some of the stuff was really nice.

I finally dropped out on the Spaulding Lake Trail for my second time down this gem today. It was getting a bit late in the day and the shadows and sun coming through the trees made it even more enjoyable. The creek is still flowing pretty good so I was accompanied by the sound of rushing water for most of the return trip.

This is pretty rugged riding, certainly not for everyone. I didn't see but a couple of bike tracks all day. But for the folks that like to experience a very primitive riding experience, this is a pretty cool place. I was pretty shot by the time I hit the truck. Barrett Lake last weekend and Grouse Ridge this weekend is about all the fun I can stand(or fall) for a week. The road bike might get some use this week while I heal up

As I was coming back to the truck I passed a group of hikers that Sasha and I had met on the way back, they were on their way out to the slabs. They were amazed to hear that I had looped another 20 miles since I saw them last. I explained that this was one of the reasons I ride a bike, I get to see so many places that so few people ever experience and can still be asleep in my bed that evening, pretty cool.

We should all try to remember that....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1870-1280x960-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1871-960x1280-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1873-1280x960-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1875-1280x960-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1880-1280x960-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1883-960x1280-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1885-960x1280-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1888-1280x960-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1889-1280x960-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1890-960x1280-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1892-960x1280-.jpg  

Grouse Ridge beatdown-dscn1893-960x1280-.jpg  

Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Awesome pics...

mtb'er
    Sha-wiiiing! Nicely done!

Word is, Grouse Ridge north has finally gotten some chainsaw love from the USFS

eBiker
    Nice! I've always wanted to explore there.

P

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reminder that I need to get back out there, one of those places that's good to have an extra hanger in the pack :-)

I remember meeting Sasha a few years ago, seeing this dog just railing around a corner and thinking dam that's cool, only to find you a couple turns down the trail, beautiful dog!
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 06-18-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice ride report Sean. Last time I descended the south side of GRT alone, I endoed a few times while riding alone and it spooked me. I'd like to get back out there again.

That is a long ride for a dog, slow or no! Sasha must be a hearty girl.

mtbr member

Hmmmmm

Giving serious consideration to doing a Loney Meadows to Laings shuttle ride this Saturday. Hopefully I can remember the western approach that I learned on the BONC ride last year...

Any Takers
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hi Steve,

I could be persuaded, depending on kid duty responsibilities. But wait... will there be "flow"? ;-)

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder View Post
    Any Takers
    I wish... but racing Cool. Will we see you Saturday night for some brewskis? Maybe we can find a wedding to crash after.

mtbr member
    Aw Crap! I Thought the coolest was the following weekend. OK, see you on Saturday in cool.

www.goapc.org

mtbr member
    Don't wait for it but BONC is doing another Grousefest again this September. Campground's reserved, plus rides and beers and festivities......Work plan is to finish the Lindsay Lake re-lo down to GRT North. GRT North surely needs some love after all this time under deadfall. And Spaulding needs help. Next project after Lindsay is the Penner climb re-lo. Just a heads up. Happy Trails everyone!

mtbr member
    OK, so since I am volunteering at the coolest this weekend..how about Saturday the 29th. Plan on meeting at Laings around 8:30. That gives you plenty of time to get coverage for the kids.

www.goapc.org