mtbr member

Great Article in the IJ

Marin Voice: There is room for everyone to share Marin’s trails

Nice work Davey.

Won't take long for the comments to get way out of control, I got in before the burn and loved it.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Ya know I almost didn't click over, let alone open this thread because the title had IJ (MarinIJ) in it.

Now that I've read that I'll say right on Davey! Then again, that's what I've come to expect out of him. Good well thought out info in there.

Now off to play in some of the haterade that will show up. Mwaahaahaahaa

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Davey's the Man.
    Tells it like it is.
    Thank's Dave.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

You-and your friend,are fvucking idiots. DirtVert

I'm really diggin it!
    Cheers! This was a bit of a group effort. So props to the members of the NPTG. Can't wait to sift through the comments section. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    "....mothers and fathers, teachers, doctors, lawyers, small-business owners, real estate brokers and children in elementary, middle and high school." I guess us House Painters dont get included? Whatever man, I like riding bikes too! Rockville is calling you Davey!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice piece, the anti-mtb comments are definitely typical LOL BS. A friend of mine (mtb'er) had a "let's play nice and share" letter in the IJ a while back and was completely blasted in the comments.

In general the vibe in Marin has significantly changed in the last few years, even beyond the trail wars. Seems like the "normal" working folks are dwindling, anyone else out there get the same feeling? I find myself (and friends) traveling out of county for rides and having much more fun, no hassles, attitudes, etc.

It's amazing how people in other places manage to make this work and share the trails.
    Check out how it works down in SLO, they've got loaner leashes (for dogs) and MTB bells (to alert hiker/horses) at the trail head, total honor system, people use them and get along. Some of the rangers are even on trail bikes, they get it and deal with it well. The open space is for everyone and we need to share.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    Nice piece, the anti-mtb comments are definitely typical LOL BS. A friend of mine (mtb'er) had a "let's play nice and share" letter in the IJ a while back and was completely blasted in the comments.

In general the vibe in Marin has significantly changed in the last few years, even beyond the trail wars. Seems like the "normal" working folks are dwindling, anyone else out there get the same feeling? I find myself (and friends) traveling out of county for rides and having much more fun, no hassles, attitudes, etc.

It's amazing how people in other places manage to make this work and share the trails.
    Check out how it works down in SLO, they've got loaner leashes (for dogs) and MTB bells (to alert hiker/horses) at the trail head, total honor system, people use them and get along. Some of the rangers are even on trail bikes, they get it and deal with it well. The open space is for everyone and we need to share.
    Yeah, I agree re: Marin. It is mostly wealthy families in my neighborhood, with a few retired folks who bought their homes decades ago mixed in. The newer and wealthier homeowners usually do extensive remodeling, while the older folks don't typically have the money to do this.

I am sure I sound like a broken record, but I think the main barrier in Marin is the CEQA law. Marin has a strong history of land conservation and many of those folks are still at it, but I think they have lost sight of the forest and they are now focused on old and dying trees... I have older relatives that used to hunt in west Marin, used to drive ATV's on fire roads, took boats out on the bay to water ski and fish, etc. My grandfather was very angry, to the day he died, about losing the ability to use a boat. We have a dock and boat ramp that haven't been used in 30 years because Marin Audubon opposed dredging (because it would impact endangered mouse habitat). My grandfather worked a blue collar job for many years to save up the money to buy a house where he could use a boat. He sold the boat after dredging was opposed and basically stopped going outdoors after that. It was very sad to see this.
    Now I live in the house and worry about my kids drowning in the water that floods the yard at high tide, but guess what? Marin Audubon also opposed a levee because of the mouse. I can't afford to remodel the house, yard and foundation to better protect against the tides, as some wealthier neighbors have done.

If it weren't for the CEQA law, I think we would have had increased mtb trail access decades ago. Conservation extremists are a small minority in Marin, but they have a huge amount of power over local land use policy. They can stall projects with endless EIRs, hugely increase the cost of projects with CEQA red tape, and generate expensive and lengthy litigation. Consequently, local land managers are submissive to groups like MCL, SPAWN and Marin Audubon.

Bad infrastructure for bikes leads to many people demonizing bikers (road and mtb). This is especially true on MUPs. Many of the MUPs in Marin need to be wider, with clear directional lanes. Marin Audubon has fought against wider MUPs in various areas in Marin.

I do think that many older folks have decreased reaction times, poor hearing, and other issues that cause them to be more fearful of bikes, when they are driving, walking on MUPs or hiking.

People also tend to see the issue in black vs. white terms, rather than delve into the complexity and nuance of land use policy. I do think there is some truth to the fact that hikers mostly avoid China Camp due to heavy mountain bike use. But, I think that is because the sight lines there are not great and, of course, limited trail access in Marin. I think alternate day use would be ideal for China Camp and many other places in Marin.

I liked the IJ article. But, I don't think sensible pleas for trail sharing will get us anywhere. Protest rides won't either. We have to reform the CEQA law so that land use policy is not dictated by a small minority of extremists.

I'm really diggin it!
    Hold the phone.

The comments section just went full Godwins law.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Hold the phone.

The comments section just went full Godwins law.
    Terri Sweets hangover usually wears off just before noon.

There is something wrong with these people. Their hate is their favorite part of themselves.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The photos in the comments are awesome, a friend of mine was reminiscing about bombing the Crown Road fire road in a dune buggy back in the day, he might have a pic to post!

Hey with the current administration it might just happen, Motos, ATVs, oh my!

They'll be begging for mountain bikes.

I'm really diggin it!
    The comments are fully out of control now. It seems as if I am a paid professional working on behalf of the powerful bike lobby. Or that I am being used in some kind of scheme between A4B and NPTG. And a few other things I wont even mention.

LOL

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

Great Article in the IJ

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    The comments are fully out of control now. It seems as if I am a paid professional working on behalf of the powerful bike lobby. Or that I am being used in some kind of scheme between A4B and NPTG. And a few other things I wont even mention.

LOL
    Tool of the Devil you is!!!

Sent from somewhere out there.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

You-and your friend,are fvucking idiots. DirtVert