Thread: Gravity Day

yaha ha

Gravity Day

is anyone going up to gravity day in weaverville sunday? any one know anything about the course? wed like to make it but couldnt show up until like 10 or 11am sunday. and dont know how much riding we would even get...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    you would be too late. Gotta get there by 9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm Great DH

1hour dusty shuttle up the mountain (took good care of your bike).. 1-miles of 45deg and steeper, loose-gravel, ruts, turns, drops.. 2-miles of slightly less incline, less gravel, on the superD course, then one mile..through a 1' deep creek, lots of single-track and jumps.to the fininsh, at a camp-ground in the forest... 8+ min or so for the amazing riders..9-11min for humans..
    Just about everything you could ask for..
    Scared the crap out of you then you were on the runout..
    Not real dangerous, but not for the faint-of-heart.. got to like looking straight down..

Used all of my 200mm front travel..
    Turned my 8" rotors blue on the practice run
    Top speed near 40mph on the superD part

--
    No photos that I saw, but I really didn't have time to look..
    --
    Don't miss the next one... GREAT stuff..
    --
    Good local camping, great people, nice town..
    --
    Only 42 miles west of Redding, but takes an hour +...

mtbr member
    It was definetely worth the drive. The course had an elevation drop of about 2800ft. with the upper 5-6 minutes of it(or more depending on how human you are) was 25-35mph loose, rutted, steep dh. Then on the lower part it was a little bit flatter but you still carried a lot of speed.
    I screwed up on both my race runs trying to jump over part of the creek, and drifting a little much, but still finished with an 8:20 if I remember correctly. All in all, very fun race, almost scary shuttle up, I got my mom to do it a couple of times though, and good course. All it needs is a lot more people. It was also coll because you got 2 race runs. More people should come to this race, it is such a good course.
    pics:

View from half way up the mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey Ryan--

Did you get those pics from a site or were they taken by someone you know? If taken by a pro or w/e, what site were they off?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Hey Ryan--

Did you get those pics from a site or were they taken by someone you know? If taken by a pro or w/e, what site were they off?
    My mom took them. I didn't see you up there, how did you do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by novato kid
    My mom took them. I didn't see you up there, how did you do?
    Yeah I think it might be because I got a haircut. Now that I see you were in that TLD fit I remember you....

I did horrible yo. It was my second ride on my new bike, but mostly I just messed up a lot on the course. Not sure on my time. Didn't get a chance to see it, but I'll check it out when they post results. Probably like 25 minutes or so. The unicycle was on my tail the whole way down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Yeah I think it might be because I got a haircut. Now that I see you were in that TLD fit I remember you....

I did horrible yo. It was my second ride on my new bike, but mostly I just messed up a lot on the course. Not sure on my time. Didn't get a chance to see it, but I'll check it out when they post results. Probably like 25 minutes or so. The unicycle was on my tail the whole way down.
    haha that guy was insane, he did the super d too, that was brutal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah man.

you gonna be at peavine this next weekend? i'm hoping to do a bit better.

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005

Ripping downhill action!

W-Vill is awesome. Us Chico kids had a ton of fun and pulled through with style and grace. The trail was gnar-bot fun, the Big Foot crew and all the race help were awesome and did a killer job. Looking forward to the next race.

190lbs of climber
    That was one sweet course! Definitely Downieville status! Not an all out DH, but a steep start with a great pedaling trail riding mile to the finish. 8:20 for me too, I was the fool in the Syndicate jersey on the 5" travel bike with the pike and no armor.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your right about it being brutal. I could not walk down stairs for five days after. If your going to the bigfoot classic in July I'll see you guys there.