mtbr member
    May 2006

Good job! Grant Ranch Super D-ing?

Wanting to explore Grant Ranch. A few years back the national race tour actually at one point had a stop at Grant Ranch for Super D. It got cancelled of course. Does anyone know which trail they could have held the super D race on at Grant Ranch?

Is there any concern for car break in or vandalism along that area? Never been to this park. When I first moved to the bay area, people often told me East SJ is a bit rougher compared to the rest of San Jose and Grant Ranch looks like E. SJ.

Thanks

mtbr member
    grant ranch is up in the hills so you're probably okay with the breakins since it costs them too much gas money to get up there. As far as a super d goes the old budlight downhill course is probably the only route there that would be used like that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverbiker View Post
    grant ranch is up in the hills so you're probably okay with the breakins since it costs them too much gas money to get up there. As far as a super d goes the old budlight downhill course is probably the only route there that would be used like that.
    Which trail is that? Feel free to PM if needed.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Not sure. I don't think they made any special trails back then so it must be something on the map. Pretty sure it started up by twin gates and went down to the main campground going around that little lake. It was really short and mostly fireroad/wide doubletrack.

mtbr member
    Looking on a map there is a pair of trails one is marked "bikes uphill only" and another marked "bikes downhill only" that's where I think it was held. It's a steep short fire road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Bug Light Challenge race started at the top of Yerba Buena and included the single track section at the bottom of YB, which is now illegal to bikes.

Strava Segment | Down Yerba Buena

Another fun downhill run is Los Huecos.

Strava Segment | Los Huecos - downhill

As prior posters mentioned, these are all fire road descents.

I'd suggest going up Halls Valley to get to either of these trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    When I first moved to the bay area, people often told me East SJ is a bit rougher compared to the rest of San Jose and Grant Ranch looks like E. SJ.
    Careful what color jersey you wear

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Careful what color jersey you wear
    funny you say that, because actually I do pay attention to no solid color jersey in certain tone when I ride at certain part of SJ. Not that I know which color they want to target.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Is there any concern for car break in or vandalism along that area? Never been to this park. When I first moved to the bay area, people often told me East SJ is a bit rougher compared to the rest of San Jose and Grant Ranch looks like E. SJ.

Thanks
    Parking up there is generally pretty safe; I've been riding there for years and never had any issues. Having said that, common sense applies: lock car, keep valuables out of sight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    Looking on a map there is a pair of trails one is marked "bikes uphill only" and another marked "bikes downhill only" that's where I think it was held. It's a steep short fire road.
    Which trail is DH only? Current map here.

-D

mtbr member
    It doesn't say on the map. I must be seeing things. I thought it was los huecos trail. Im up there at least once a week I don't even look at the map anymore.