mtbr member

Granite Bay Saturday 4/29 trails closed?

Signs say trails are closed and the big parking lot by the beach is full of horses and campers. Not sure what event and what trails they will be on but it looks we we may have get our fix somewhere else.

James.Hamilton
    Do you mean Saturday 4/30 or Friday 4/29? I took a quick look online and didn't see anything.

mtbr member
    Sorry I should have said 4/30. I looked online as well and could not find anything but on my dog walk I saw some signs and campers with horse trailers...

mtb'er
    Prolly just closed in the morning.

americanriverclassic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Prolly just closed in the morning.

americanriverclassic
    And in the afternoon the trails will be nothing but horse crap and hoof prints.
    Why can't they just stick to their own damned trails?
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is also the time of year they close the gate to the north end of the lake on the weekends. Cars aren't allowed past the horse parking area.

GB Trails are still open, just not vehicle access.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    And in the afternoon the trails will be nothing but horse crap and hoof prints.
    Why can't they just stick to their own damned trails?
    GRRRRRR.. wet trails and overnight camping, looks like all the trails will be trashed.. makes me want to go take a sh*t on the horse trails

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thats nothing, 2 weeks ago they had a race for runners with dogs. hundreds of dogs on the trails...now I love animals and a really love dogs, but the owners are dumb. Dog crap right in the middle of the trails...everywhere. I was was sitting up at the bench last weekend laughing with some other guys that came by...cause every 15-20 yds on the trail up there was crap right in the middle of the trail. SMH. I guess when a dog has to go...he has to go right there...no time for the owner to move off the trail a bit.....frustrating.

mtbr member
    I wish I could do this ride on my mtn bike...

The ride follows the Pioneer Express Trail along the beautiful American River up to the Auburn Staging Area. From there the ride follows the Western States trail through the American River canyon and on up to Cool, around the Olmsted Loop and on back to Auburn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    I wish I could do this ride on my mtn bike...

You can bro, you can....

Every trails a flow trail ifya would just learn how to ride-stop dumbing down the planet

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by tjMountain View Post
    GRRRRRR.. wet trails and overnight camping, looks like all the trails will be trashed..
    If you can provide evidence of this, please share here, or with State Parks or even Mother Lode Trails (aka Park Watch).

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    You can bro, you can....

Have fun on the Meat Grinder
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Ride On!
    Wandering if anyone has ridden GB since the event ? If so, how's do the trails look ?

James.Hamilton
    I was thinking the same thing as I was deciding on where to ride today and quickly caled GB off the list. Shot up to Auburn to hit FHDL which was super tasty!! The good thing about GB is one day rain that is coming mid-late week should do a good job of evening things out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode Granite Bay this morning, seemed no worse for wear. Part of the trail past Doton's is under water, so that requires a short hike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I also rode GB trail yesterday. Trail was in great shape with no apparent damage from the hoofed crowd. Maybe they were on Pioneer trail and not the GB bike trails.

and yes, the low section of trail past Doton's point is now underwater. You have to either back track from Dotons, take the pavement back or ride on the (not legal) ADA trail.

The low section of trail just north of the swim area is also underwater, but you can still take the alternate trail that runs close to Dyke1. Its still above water (for now).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    As someone who rides GB less than once a month and won't see signs until it is too late, is there some way to reliably check the status of events that would close the trails on a given day? Hate to drive out there and find out I can't ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    As someone who rides GB less than once a month and won't see signs until it is too late, is there some way to reliably check the status of events that would close the trails on a given day? Hate to drive out there and find out I can't ride.
    I wish I knew also. If anybody knows a technique for checking the trails head of time, please let us know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post

I wish I knew also. If anybody knows a technique for checking the trails head of time, please let us know.

mtb'er
    Mother Lode Trails tries to be the calendar for the area, but they don't have every event.

Best to call State Parks before close on Fridays and ask. (916)988-0205

Could also ask if they have a public calendar of events.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    TBF racing is the biggest trail "consumer". They seem to have a bunch of events at GB generally both Saturday and sunday. The good thing is that they are generally done with the trail by noon, so afternoons are usually OK. Check TBF's calendar.

Norcal high school series is one weekend. not sure which one.

Then there's the occasional horse or run event, but they *usually* don't use the bike trail. However this year's AR50 (running) used the bike trail, probably because its in better shape.

Anyone know of other regular events?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    There is a Merrel Race in the late summer/Fall. Norcal High school league took place a few weekends ago, so in general it takes place in April. It still amazes me that the Park itself doesn't have a comprehensive calendar up on it's site.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    It still amazes me that the Park itself doesn't have a comprehensive calendar up on it's site.
    There are a lot of things about State Parks that amaze me. ;-)
    Last edited by Empty_Beer; 05-05-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    There are a lot of things about State Parks that amazes me. ;-)
    Amen!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

James.Hamilton
    TBF stuff all over Granite Bay today with trail arrows, transition areas and signs stating that they will be racing this Saturday and Sunday until noon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FullBladdy View Post
    TBF stuff all over Granite Bay today with trail arrows, transition areas and signs stating that they will be racing this Saturday and Sunday until noon.
    Thanks for this, was actually planning on riding there tomorrow morning. Glad I didn't drive out there and realize it was closed.

mtbr member
    Just go ride there after noon. TBF usually is actually finished by 11 or 11:30.

Its pretty good right now, the lake is FULL

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    Just go ride there after noon. TBF usually is actually finished by 11 or 11:30.

Its pretty good right now, the lake is FULL
    I like riding first thing. I know that makes me miss out sometimes but I like having the rest of the day to relax, go out to lunch, etc

James.Hamilton
    Yeah other thank the spot at Duttons that is under water (with an already grassy path around) the rest of the trails are in awesome shape! I though with the rain overnight into this morning I may see some slop but it was hero dirt all the way. Get some!