mtbr member

Granite Bay Equestrian Event 9/28

Wow. Check out their release from all liablility form. Based on the language, it isn't safe out there during the event for anyone including the equestrians .

RELEASE FROM ALL LIABILITY
    This is a binding legal document. Read it carefully before signing below.
    I understand that the Folsom Lake SRA Mounted Trail Patrol sponsors and organizes a variety of events, including, but not limited to, equestrian trail rides and overnight campouts, trail building and work days, tack sales, membership meetings, potluck dinners, and other social events. Folsom Lake SRA Mounted Trail Patrol events are non-alcoholic. In consideration of the acceptance of my application or permission to participate in these events, I agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Folsom Lake SRA Mounted Trail Patrol and/or California State Parks and/or California Conservation of Trails, its officers, members, agents, employees, and representatives, from and against all claims, suits, actions, or liabilities (including any of the foregoing by way of indemnification or contribution), for personal injuries, property damage or loss, death, or for attorney fees, which are based on or arise out my participation in such events. This release applies to all such claims, suits, actions, or liabilities, even though they may arise out of or be based on the negligence, lack of care, or other fault on the part of the persons listed above.
    In signing this release I acknowledge that (a) equestrian events and activities involving horses involve risks which may result in serious personal injuries, property damage or loss, or death, (b) that trails and areas for equestrian events may consist of rough trails, steep or unstable terrain, water hazards, wild animals, and other natural or man made obstacles and dangers, and that I may expect to encounter such areas in their natural condition without any preparation or safeguards designed for equestrian activities, and (c) that horses themselves may create dangers because of kicking, running away, throwing riders off, and other disruptive and uncontrollable behaviors.
    I am sufficiently skilled in riding horses, and am sufficiently physically fit, to participate in the equestrian events listed above. This release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, and personal representatives.
    I DO HAVE PERSONAL INSURANCE______________ Initials here

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    (c) that horses themselves may create dangers because of kicking, running away, throwing riders off, and other disruptive and uncontrollable behaviors.
    Had to quote this part for truth.
    I also have a hard time with the comment about the riders being physically fit. That's a joke. It's got to be.
    Thanks for posting this up. Do you have any links to this event?
    We need to watch this carefully. It would be helpful to get before and after pics of the trails to show what kind of damage they create. It might help to get them to repair the damaged sections. Dozens of iron shod hooves will grind the trail bed up pretty bad.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Elitest thrill junkie
    Would be great to bring that in as evidence for planning meetings and trail access issues. I'd save it for future use. As a federal investigator, I'm taught to "document document document" while performing my duties. Seems applicable here...
    Last edited by Jayem; 1 Week Ago at 11:38 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Had to quote this part for truth.
    I also have a hard time with the comment about the riders being physically fit. That's a joke. It's got to be.
    Thanks for posting this up. Do you have any links to this event?
    We need to watch this carefully. It would be helpful to get before and after pics of the trails to show what kind of damage they create. It might help to get them to repair the damaged sections. Dozens of iron shod hooves will grind the trail bed up pretty bad.
    Here are the links.

http://www.parkwatchreport.org/doc/6...Rideflyer3.pdf

Park Watch Report -=- Article Sept. 28 - HUGE FOLSOM LAKE SRA MOUNTED PATROL BENEFIT POKER RIDE - Granite Bay (Equestrian)

mtb'er
    I'll just say there's a rumor that the "go to" insurance company for equestrian events is possibly DONE with equestrian events. Prolly a rumor, though.

Anyone know why stallions aren't allowed? Educate me.

As for mt. bikers and other trail users... it sounds like this event won't sniff the multi-use trails in GB... they will stay on the beach and Pioneer XP trail. Stop whining.

Compare and contrast the waiver for a horse event and an MTB race... :

http://www.thecoolmountainbikerace.c...aiver-2014.pdf

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I'll just say there's a rumor that the "go to" insurance company for equestrian events is possibly DONE with equestrian events. Prolly a rumor, though.

As for mt. bikers and other trail users... it sounds like this event won't sniff the multi-use trails in GB... they will stay on the beach and Pioneer XP trail. Stop whining.

No one is whining. I started the thread to point out the equestrian community acknowledged in writing the unpredictability and dangerous nature of their horses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Stallions can be very difficult to control. Far more than mares and geldings. If there is a mare in season around, they will do everything they can to mount it. I've dealt with a couple back when I worked in horse barns. Everyone of them was a total PITA. They would kick, bite, lunge every time we handled them. And they would do everything they could to escape when they had a chance.

Can you highlight the verbage in that release form that talks about my mtn bike being dangerous to myself or other trail users, possibly kicking or biting, and/or being uncontrollable?
    Ok, thanks!

mtb'er
    Can you highlight the verbage in that release form that talks about my mtn bike being dangerous to myself or other trail users, possibly kicking or biting, and/or being uncontrollable?
    Ok, thanks!
    Exactly

Thanks for the info on stallions... they sound so Enduro

I was premature on my snarky whining comment... sorry!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That's what the trails are for, everyone to use. Untrained and ill tempered horses can be dangerous, so can mtb riders of the same characteristics. Dry trails will not sustain much damage but wet trails will look like mine fields after an eq event. Been there on bikes after one, and yes it can be tough riding but the trails will smooth out with more riding. Yes stallions can be dangerous, like going into a redneck bar with free flowing booze and scantily clad horny women 😂

mtbr member

The trails at Granite Bay are made of soft decomposed granite. When trod upon by hundreds of hooves, they quickly loosen up in to a sandy mess. Next time it rains, that sand just washes away, causing the trough appearance that is common on the nearby horse trails. This creates new problems as it becomes increasingly difficult to repair the trails. The troughs deepen with each rain storm and it becomes more difficult to build the diversions needed to move the water off of the trails.
    I don't think anybody here in this thread minds sharing the trails with the equestrians. That's part of life. However, if this event brings in the 200 horses they are expecting, and they use the multi-use loop, it will completely shut down the use of the Granite Bay trail system to mtn bikers for a full weekend (this is a two day event). When there are mtn bike races at GB, the horses and hikers can divert on to the Pioneer Express trail. However, we don't get that same privilege. So naturally, there is going to be a considerable amount of apprehension regarding trail access during a large equestrian event. Local riders could find themselves effectively shut out of the trail system if it is fully clogged with equestrians.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If this is the same event as last year the equestrians mainly used the PET and a few connectors to get there from the Granite Beach Parking Lot and remained away from the mulit-use loops. Hopefully they clean up the parking lot better than last year. I do think my Saturday morning Fat Bike trek up the north side of the lake may be impacted....good excuse as any to hit Auburn or Cronin instead.
    Fat Bikes Rule!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ....it will completely shut down the use of the Granite Bay trail system to mtn bikers for a full weekend (this is a two day event).

Are you SURE this is a 2 day event? NICA/Nor-Cal has a Girls Ride scheduled for the 27th between 9 and 1.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Are you SURE this is a 2 day event? NICA/Nor-Cal has a Girls Ride scheduled for the 27th between 9 and 1.
    Yes and no.
    Officially, it's a one day event on Sunday. But they are offering camping at the Granite Bay Beach area for Saturday night, which means there will potentially be dozens of horses out and about on the trails Saturday.
    If nothing else I would expect significantly increased equestrian traffic on Saturday afternoon.

mtbr member

I just got back from a ride at GB. The equestrians were packing up and leaving when I got to the parking lot. The only ones I saw actually riding were two teenage girls riding on the fire road, side by side. I announced my approach, and they didn't budge, forcing me to go between them. That was not a fun experience, but it was uneventful. I gave them a terse warning that single file would be a lot safer.
    The multiuse trail had a few new piles, but nothing significant. Very few horse prints. It looked like A LOT of fresh mtb tire tracks so I'm guessing mtb traffic was heavy today (when isn't it on a weekend at GB?).
    When I was leaving the parking lot was littered with piles of hay and manure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Were you approaching them from behind? The horse riders should be picking their trash up and either dispose of in manure bins if they are provided or hauling out with them. An air horn would get their attention or wave a shopping bag as you near them. Horses pay attention to that stuff. If you were coming from the rear you can be sure the horse saw you long ago, they really can see behind them. If from the front then those girls didn't really mind your passing between them, but it would have been courteous for them to move into one rut.

mtbr member
    I was approaching from behind. I called out my presence long before I actually got to them, they just ignored me. My trail voice is loud and booming, no way they did not hear me.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    The trails at Granite Bay are made of soft decomposed granite. When trod upon by hundreds of hooves, they quickly loosen up in to a sandy mess. Next time it rains, that sand just washes away, causing the trough appearance that is common on the nearby horse trails. This creates new problems as it becomes increasingly difficult to repair the trails. The troughs deepen with each rain storm and it becomes more difficult to build the diversions needed to move the water off of the trails.
    I don't think anybody here in this thread minds sharing the trails with the equestrians. That's part of life. However, if this event brings in the 200 horses they are expecting, and they use the multi-use loop, it will completely shut down the use of the Granite Bay trail system to mtn bikers for a full weekend (this is a two day event). When there are mtn bike races at GB, the horses and hikers can divert on to the Pioneer Express trail. However, we don't get that same privilege. So naturally, there is going to be a considerable amount of apprehension regarding trail access during a large equestrian event. Local riders could find themselves effectively shut out of the trail system if it is fully clogged with equestrians.
    We all know the equestrian community logs hundreds of hours each year on trail maintenance at Granite Bay!

JFR
    mtbr member
    I road cx there today. Passing through the staging area it was like the state fair or a rodeo or something. There were 100 horse trailers and cowgirls with their ponys everywhere you looked. Almost dead center of this mid-west round up some guy warned me there was a horse event today and I should plan to stay off of Pioneer Express.

I skidded to stop, looked him the eye and said: "WHAT?! There's a horse event TODAY?! Clearly you're mistaken. There can't be a horse event TODAY. There's no way there's a horse event TODAY. I don't believe you. Impossible."

Wait, no, that's what I thought. I really just smiled and said "Thanks".

Very little signs of horses on the multi-use trails, a fresh turd here and there but the event did not use the shared trails. There was a light rain and I had another stellar cx adventure. All the horsey people I encountered were super friendly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Brew, that was my experience from last year. The horses generally kept to the Pioneer Express and off of the regular multi-use trails but they sure hammered the parking lot.

I'm running on Pioneer Express this evening so I'm sure it will be more of an obsticle course than usual.
    Fat Bikes Rule!