Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Upset Got rear-ended at STCP

Did a HTFU ride as part of my XC "training" for CCCX... I'm 1:15 into my ride at the last part, beat down, tired, stomach starting to growl, and descending Mine Hill bump to go home. I'm on my 27 yr. old Rockhopper rigid. There are FOUR trail zombies ahead of me, so I slow down, yell out, and gently pass with a "thank you" to them.

Out of nowhere, dude comes plowing into me. Front wheel (NEW front wheel, BTW) is out of true, chain fell out of my chainkeeper, etc. Didn't fall... but seriously - WTF?!

Dude... next time CALL OUT - you're on a dual suspension bike with superior brakes and traction. I'm on a rigid steel bike with v-brakes, and have to tip-toe some descents - plus I had trail zombies to contend with. I would've moved for you as I do for anybody who's coming up faster than me. All you had to do is yell "RIDER BACK ON YOUR LEFT" and I would've gladly pulled over to let you by. Now I have a date with my truing stand. Also, dual earbuds on the trail is not cool.

Trail etiquette, peeps. A little goes a long way.

Is this thing on?
    Why wasn't a little trailside justice administered? or did he pull a hit and run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nah, no need for fighting. Accidents happen - I just need to out whomever it was on this forum.

I'm willing to bet there was only ONE rear-end incident today on STCP, and that was with me. So... you know who you are and I hope you learned how to conduct yourself on the trail. Don't be stupid next time, and for God's sake, take out the dual earbuds.

I think that fact that he was riding as one of the Pod People bothered me more. Just bad trail etiquette all around. BTW, this wasn't some single track - it's wide enough for a ranger truck.

Yeah, I wasn't going to pull the freak out.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Dude, I am SO sorry!

I was going for a Strava record, and I was using my Go-Pro for the first time:

Accident at STCP

"I promise I'll never do it again."

(seriously, sorry- getting hit sucks!)
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-16-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Paper or plastic?
    Guessing that rider was mesmerized by your behind and forgot to brake.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Guessing that rider was mesmerized by your behind and forgot to brake.
    I think it was a case of target fixation. Easily could've passed on the left and again, I would've gladly moved over with a little trail communication.

I know I'm a handsome devil, but at least take me out to dinner first.
    Last edited by Dion; 01-16-2013 at 05:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That sucks. Hate preventable accidents. How was STCP? Has the mud from h$ll dried out?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Wēk Ss
    that sucks, Dion.

dirtvert, over reaction is an understatement. was that you? good for staying calm and let the other person rage.

Edit: re-read your OP. He may have been out of control.
    Last edited by IAmHolland; 01-16-2013 at 07:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    That sucks. Hate preventable accidents. How was STCP? Has the mud from h$ll dried out?
    Conditions were actually great. Dirt was tacky and slippery in some places, but aside from that, it's STCP as usual.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    That sucks.

Any idea what the rider was wearing? Size? build? Bike? or did he just plow into you and ride off into the sunset like nothing happened?

I wonder how many other people or things this guy might have hit...

PRETENDURO
    Bummer about the rear-ender dude! I wouldnt have guessed anyone would be that stupid to (1) not call out and (2) rear-end someone.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Dion

I did it! And i'll be sure to do it again! Not my fault you are slower than a herd of snails in a pool of molasses.

On the real tho, Sorry to hear you got your rear end plowed into. Hmmm that sound x-rated. Haha glad you're okay.

mtbr member
    That sucks Dion. We're all out to have fun. There is no need to run into people on the trail.

I was nearly run off a fire road tonight by a HS team coach. The whole team passed me (going opposite directions) without any issues. I was over to the right side of the road. This coach was at the back of the pack, eyes down, on my side of the road, chatting with one of the teenagers. He never looked up until I said 'heads up!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Karma points for being a man. Trail side justice, both sides lose in the long run. Got to stand up for yourself when it matters, doesn't sound like this was the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    Karma points for being a man. Trail side justice, both sides lose in the long run. Got to stand up for yourself when it matters, doesn't sound like this was the time.
    Not at all! I wasn't hurt, my bike is repairable and he wasn't a complete dck about it (he wasn't as apologetic as I would've been, though). Accidents happen, I just hope, if he's on MTBR, he learns to not make the same mistake - it could've been worse for a more "frail" person. And for Christ's sake, take out an earbud!

mtbr member
    Glad u weren't seriously injured bro.. I remember my first crash with my riding buddy. I was flying out of a corner at about 25 mph when I collided with him head on. Luckily I flew off my bike and did a tuck n roll and wasn't injured just a few bruises and scrapes.

mtbr member
    what an a hole. should have offered to fix your bike

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rho View Post
    That sucks.

Any idea what the rider was wearing? Size? build? Bike? or did he just plow into you and ride off into the sunset like nothing happened?

I wonder how many other people or things this guy might have hit...
    Serial rammer?
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member

Hey Man, that was me. Sorry again. I've never had a collision with another rider before. I just screwed up. Was coming up too fast and as was realizing you were going right, starting to yell, it was just done. I owe you a six-pack. R
    the world is not symmetrical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lonerider12 View Post

Hey Man, that was me. Sorry again. I've never had a collision with another rider before. I just screwed up. Was coming up too fast and as was realizing you were going right, starting to yell, it was just done. I owe you a six-pack. R
    No biggie,man. Apology accepted! Could've been worse... we all brain fart, homie.

Thanks for the apology, man.

swag ho Administrator
    Thank gawd man. I was worried about the title as I opened this thread.

fc

mtbr member
    love a story with a happy ending
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You guys are a bunch of funny men, ardn't cha?! Lonerider12 does have a handsome beard.

Now that I'm hanging out with Quadzilla, I must conduct myself in a gentlemanly manner. Otherwise... I would've really spoken my mind!!!!!*

*on the internet, of course

On a serious note, I was kinda pissed, but realizing that I'm not hurt, lonerider's not hurt, and damage was minimal - it was not that bad. Apologies work well - people should accept them more.

I think I was more surprised than anything. Careful out there peeps!

Wēk Ss
    glad you guys were able to work it out.

for the record, i don't want to hear/read about any serial ramming of dion at stcp. that's an image that i can live without.

btw, since you're truing wheels, how about truing mine too. i'm too lazy to bust out my rack.

Puro Vida!
    Yeah I thought wow! Dion was doing a Jodie Foster!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast