Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Got rear-ended at STCP

4K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  chris.george 
#1 ·
Did a HTFU ride as part of my XC "training" for CCCX... I'm 1:15 into my ride at the last part, beat down, tired, stomach starting to growl, and descending Mine Hill bump to go home. I'm on my 27 yr. old Rockhopper rigid. There are FOUR trail zombies ahead of me, so I slow down, yell out, and gently pass with a "thank you" to them.

Out of nowhere, dude comes plowing into me. Front wheel (NEW front wheel, BTW) is out of true, chain fell out of my chainkeeper, etc. Didn't fall... but seriously - WTF?!

Dude... next time CALL OUT - you're on a dual suspension bike with superior brakes and traction. I'm on a rigid steel bike with v-brakes, and have to tip-toe some descents - plus I had trail zombies to contend with. I would've moved for you as I do for anybody who's coming up faster than me. All you had to do is yell "RIDER BACK ON YOUR LEFT" and I would've gladly pulled over to let you by. Now I have a date with my truing stand. :mad: Also, dual earbuds on the trail is not cool.

Trail etiquette, peeps. A little goes a long way.

#3 ·
Nah, no need for fighting. Accidents happen - I just need to out whomever it was on this forum.

I'm willing to bet there was only ONE rear-end incident today on STCP, and that was with me. So... you know who you are and I hope you learned how to conduct yourself on the trail. Don't be stupid next time, and for God's sake, take out the dual earbuds.

I think that fact that he was riding as one of the Pod People bothered me more. Just bad trail etiquette all around. BTW, this wasn't some single track - it's wide enough for a ranger truck.

Yeah, I wasn't going to pull the freak out. :lol:

#13 ·
That sucks Dion. We're all out to have fun. There is no need to run into people on the trail.

I was nearly run off a fire road tonight by a HS team coach. The whole team passed me (going opposite directions) without any issues. I was over to the right side of the road. This coach was at the back of the pack, eyes down, on my side of the road, chatting with one of the teenagers. He never looked up until I said 'heads up!'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Not at all! I wasn't hurt, my bike is repairable and he wasn't a complete d¡ck about it (he wasn't as apologetic as I would've been, though). Accidents happen, I just hope, if he's on MTBR, he learns to not make the same mistake - it could've been worse for a more "frail" person. And for Christ's sake, take out an earbud!

#16 ·
Glad u weren't seriously injured bro.. I remember my first crash with my riding buddy. I was flying out of a corner at about 25 mph when I collided with him head on. Luckily I flew off my bike and did a tuck n roll and wasn't injured just a few bruises and scrapes.

#23 ·
You guys are a bunch of funny men, ardn't cha?! :lol: Lonerider12 does have a handsome beard.

Now that I'm hanging out with Quadzilla, I must conduct myself in a gentlemanly manner. Otherwise... I would've really spoken my mind!!!!!*

*on the internet, of course :p

On a serious note, I was kinda pissed, but realizing that I'm not hurt, lonerider's not hurt, and damage was minimal - it was not that bad. Apologies work well - people should accept them more.

I think I was more surprised than anything. Careful out there peeps!

#30 ·
I got a similar start on mtbr, when an earbud wearing hiker didnt hear me coming and complained on mtbr about it.

That was 7 years ago and I yell louder than ever at earbud wearing trail users now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.