Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    These two videos I did using a bullet cam and a 8mm camcorder. The first rider is AMA Superstar Elena Myers on a SuperMoto at Stockton Motorplex (#21). I believe she was 12 yrs. old in this video.

I even think NuckingFutz is in this video.

I had to use a video capture card and digitize - this killed the quality.

HAHA!! Good eye, that's me at 2:07 on the pipe! Good times!!!

mtbr member
    I did a ride at Annadel with the chest mount. Added bonus of the chest mount: it's a poor-man's heart rate monitor. You can hear my heart beating pretty clearly
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    HAHA!! Good eye, that's me at 2:07 on the pipe! Good times!!!
    F*CK! We all were on it that day! You were really hauling a$$!

I can't believe Matt let us get away with all those wheelies and stunts.

That place will be legendary.

Rest in Peace, Stockton Motorplex

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Got my Silver Hero3, and while the camera is amazing when it works, the firmware coders should be flogged.

This thing kept crapping out on me on the ski slopes all the time. Constantly froze up even after the latest firmware update - had to do a battery pull after every run. I read on the forums about other users complaining about cold and locking up. If the latest firmware I pulled right on Dec 31 does not fix the issue, it's going back to GoPro for an exchange.

I also could not get a preview running on iPhone with the latest app and firmware. Wrote to their tech support and received a canned response back. Thanks for nothing.

We'll see...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Please report back your findings.

Magura

Finally made it to the local Apple Store with an SD card full of 1080p clips from the GoPro.

Tried one of the current MacBook Pro Retina 15" models.

Importing was noticeably faster.
    Editing and playing back saved clips of 1080p footage was smooth.
    Exporting the file -- aka sharing with Quicktime -- seemed about the same. A better test would probably involve larger files, but I was already sold at that point.

The newer models finally have graphics cards that can run high resolutions both on the retina screen and on (multiple!) external monitors. This should make it more convenient to edit photos as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to order a custom build with the internal drive combo I want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My suggestion is to return it and get the cheaper Hero 2 for the following reason: 1) battery life on the 3 is brutal! 2) The Hero 3 was rushed to market to make money over the holiday season, way too buggy 3) the cheaper Hero 2 shoots great video, has tons of battery life and is bug free. hope this helps
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    My suggestion is to return it and get the cheaper Hero 2 for the following reason: 1) battery life on the 3 is brutal! 2) The Hero 3 was rushed to market to make money over the holiday season, way too buggy 3) the cheaper Hero 2 shoots great video, has tons of battery life and is bug free. hope this helps
    I agree. I am not an early adopter of technology precisely for these reasons. In fact, I recently bought a second Hero2 at REI for $199.95. I can still use all my existing batteries, accessories, and memory cards. If I had bought a Hero3, I wouldn't be able to use the older batteries because Hero3 uses different batteries. Hero2 batteries won't work in a Hero3, AFAIK.

Also, the Hero3 uses the more expensive microSD cards instead of standard SD cards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I agree. I am not an early adopter of technology precisely for these reasons. In fact, I recently bought a second Hero2 at REI for $199.95. I can still use all my existing batteries, accessories, and memory cards. If I had bought a Hero3, I wouldn't be able to use the older batteries because Hero3 uses different batteries. Hero2 batteries won't work in a Hero3, AFAIK.

Also, the Hero3 uses the more expensive microSD cards instead of standard SD cards.
    The cost difference of micro SD cards today is pretty negligible, but I agree - battery life sucks. I wanted to shoot some time lapse videos, and the camera lasts maybe 40 minutes at most on a fully charged battery.

Slowest Rider
    Some comments on your points:
    1. Battery life for the Hero3 Black at 1080p 30 FPS is about 2 hours, similar to Hero2 for the same resolution. See here. But if you want to use the improved HD camera capability at higher FPS, you use more battery (just like a high HP sports car uses more fuel to go faster). I absolutely love the higher resolution, and just buy more batteries.
    2. Yes, the GoPro Hero3 initially had some bad bugs, according to reports I've read. Fortunately the bugs were fully fixed by the December 15 update, according to their CEO. I've not experienced any bugs personally, having received my GoPro as a Xmas present and immediately updated. I've used it for dozens of hours over many rides without any flaw whatsoever. Rather, the Android preview App is pretty cool and works well to preview and set up the camera.
    3. I agree one should probably stick with the Hero2 if you don't want the improved resolution or speed capability of the Hero 3. But there's still many other added improvements with the Hero 3, such as near zero wind noise (I can only hear myself breathing), 2X lower dark levels, better lens with lower distortion, smaller size for convenience, etc.. Overall, it's a great camera with all around improvements, and finally the quality level I've been waiting for to get into video.

I don't have the artistic skill or time to make a top video for others like those posted here. Nevertheless, I'll post some videos later, once I get better at editing (and down converting for online, which destroys the beauty of the higher resolutions). For now I greatly enjoy watching my own rides, especially with the 1440p camera resolution that lets me see the sky and detailed trail under the tire at the same time, as well as surrounding scenery in detail. Absolutely stunning, filling out my 27" (1440x2560) computer monitor with sharp action.

EDIT: On more thought, the suggestion to return a buggy Hero3 to instead get the Hero2 makes more sense for the Hero 3 Silver, which doesn't have the higher quality of the Hero 3 Black in many regards. The Hero 3 Silver is more like the Hero 2, except for size and few other things.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 01-27-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    3. I agree one should probably stick with the Hero2 if you don't want the improved resolution or speed capability of the Hero 3. But there's still many other added improvements with the Hero 3, such as near zero wind noise (I can only hear myself breathing), 2X lower dark levels, better lens with lower distortion, smaller size for convenience, etc.. Overall, it's a great camera with all around improvements, and finally the quality level I've been waiting for to get into video.

I don't have the artistic skill or time to make a top video for others like those posted here. Nevertheless, I'll post some videos later, once I get better at editing (and down converting for online, which destroys the beauty of the higher resolutions). For now I greatly enjoy watching my own rides, especially with the 1440p camera resolution that lets me see the sky and detailed trail under the tire at the same time, as well as surrounding scenery in detail. Absolutely stunning, filling out my 27" (1440x2560) computer monitor with sharp action.
    Less wind noise? Now I'm interested! I always make my videos with 100% natural sound and no music, so audio quality is important to me. My videos document my rides exactly as they happen, so I like to make them realistic. For me that means good, clean, natural sound.

Also, since I enjoy suffering on climbs I like the camera to pick up my breathing, as it shows how tough the climbs are.

I would like to see some of your videos without any music or fancy editing. Some good tough climbs and fast downhills would be a good test for the camera. It might make me want to sell my three Contours and get a Hero3 instead. I quit using the ContourHD on my helmet due to the excessive wind noise. I now use a Hero2, and I love it! The Hero2 has better audio and video quality than the Contour too.

I also like to see other people's videos from my favorite trails, but it's hard to find any that don't have music on them. They're out there, but you have to sift through a lot of music videos to find them.

I like some music videos, but prefer raw sound for most riding, especially climbing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Some comments on your points:
    1. Battery life for the Hero3 Black at 1080p 30 FPS is about 2 hours, similar to Hero2 for the same resolution. See here. But if you want to use the improved HD camera capability at higher FPS, you use more battery (just like a high HP sports car uses more fuel to go faster). I absolutely love the higher resolution, and just buy more batteries.
    2. Yes, the GoPro Hero3 initially had some bad bugs, according to reports I've read. Fortunately the bugs were fully fixed by the December 15 update, according to their CEO. I've not experienced any bugs personally, having received my GoPro as a Xmas present and immediately updated. I've used it for dozens of hours over many rides without any flaw whatsoever. Rather, the Android preview App is pretty cool and works well to preview and set up the camera.

EDIT: On more thought, the suggestion to return a buggy Hero3 to instead get the Hero2 makes more sense for the Hero 3 Silver, which doesn't have the higher quality of the Hero 3 Black in many regards. The Hero 3 Silver is more like the Hero 2, except for size and few other things.
    While I agree 110% with your 2nd and 3rd point - I can (first hand) point out that 2 hours is not happening for me or my uncle. With the black edition GoPro camera on 1080, I got about 45min and on any higher settings like 120fps at 720 I got around 30min. Now, if I used the wifi remote, god help me! 25min!

With the battery backpack, the times shifter about 1 hour more. The bugs are still prevalent, even after the update and my uncle has gone through 3 cameras. This can be seen with a simple google search. Sad, bec this is was a great company and product line. All that said, I'm sure they'll eventually solve all the issue.....with time but bad for the consumer.
    Specialized Stumpjumper Evo 29er - "Bike 'Til You Barf!"

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I would like to see some of your videos without any music or fancy editing.
    I have some videos of riding and climbing, but this one best illustrates the variety of sounds on a first GoPro Black 3 test ride on the local trails just outside my house.

It has a variety of sounds from different terrain, passing cars, bells, leaves, road, bike rattle, and mostly my breathing. Yet, throughout all, wind noise is minor.

As I get time and improve my editing, I'll post more of the better trails. I got very nice ones from Ft Ord Red Rock and Goat trials. One of my biggest problems in editing now is finding music that's not copyrighted. I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you.

Slowest Rider
    While I agree 110% with your 2nd and 3rd point - I can (first hand) point out that 2 hours is not happening for me or my uncle. With the black edition GoPro camera on 1080, I got about 45min and on any higher settings like 120fps at 720 I got around 30min. Now, if I used the wifi remote, god help me! 25min!
    With the recommended resolution of 1440 at 48 FPS, I'm getting about 45 minutes per battery. To be safe, I swap the battery a little after 30 minutes, when I see one bar. I now carry 1 to 3 extra batteries. But I really don't need to record every part of the ride. If I just record the interesting and fun parts of the ride, one spare battery looks to be enough on most rides. Maybe more on long rides. Just being more selective means I don't have to edit all the garbage and fill my disk with stuff I don't need anyway.

Again, the much higher performance and quality of the Hero 3 Black is of great value to me, and the battery life is a minor inconvenience for me. It's easy and quick to swap out.

(BTW, for Annadel, I'll take all four batteries. Everything is good there.)

Loves to suffer
    I have some videos of riding and climbing, but this one best illustrates the variety of sounds on a first GoPro Black 3 test ride on the local trails just outside my house.

It has a variety of sounds from different terrain, passing cars, bells, leaves, road, bike rattle, and mostly my breathing. Yet, throughout all, wind noise is minor.

As I get time and improve my editing, I'll post more of the better trails. I got very nice ones from Ft Ord Red Rock and Goat trials. One of my biggest problems in editing now is finding music that's not copyrighted. I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you.
    That is pretty impressive! When I originally compared the audio from my GoPro HD Hero 960 and ContourHD cameras, I liked the fact that there was much less wind noise on the GoPro, but your Hero3 is even better! I wonder how they managed to eliminate most of the wind noise?

I assume you're using the provided non-waterproof door, as that lets in much more sound. I always use the non-waterproof door.

YouTube has really cracked down on copyrighted stuff in the past few years. I used to have a few videos that had music on them due to crappy or no audio (videos sped up in Windows Live Movie Maker don't have audio as the software mutes it). I moved them all over to Vimeo after another YouTube user reported receiving two copyright strikes in a row for songs that went through YouTube's automated "ContentID" system just fine over a year before the strike.

If you receive three copyright strikes, YouTube will terminate your account. There is royalty-free music out there, but most of it suuuucks!

Since the Hero3 has such good audio, there's nothing wrong with making videos without music to avoid the copyright police .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4