Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr View Post
    Cable cam powered by gravity? Brilliant!
    Takes forever to set up by yourself though.
    Just started trying it.
    I'm gonna make it better/smoother.
    Carrying cables and gear a PITA.
    Gonna perfect it though.
    I like the way it looks when it works.
    Wanna try a low to the ground angle next.
    G
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Got the Hero3 today too. The wife got me an extra battery and a bunch of extra mounts (thanks honey). I'm stoked to try it out, but gotta pick up an SD card tomorrow. Hopefully I can find a mounting spot and resolution that doesn't make everything look 1/2 as hard as it was in real life. I've got a pretty cushy FS 29er, so I'm going to give the handlebar / fork / frame mount a try.

The features on this thing are nuts. Looks like you can mount it on your buddy's bike, then monitor it on your IPhone (hey bro, point it up a little higher. Perfect, thanks.) Nice toy, and it's going to take some time to figure out how to use it to the fullest.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Buy a new huge hard drive. Now buy another new huge hard drive. Back up your footage to multiple hard drives often. If your footage is not on at least two hard drives, it doesn't really exist.

Tell stories.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Anybody having issues updating there hero 3 off gopro's website??
    Their host is having trouble. Their Facebook page has a more detailed explanation.
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It's all about mounting on non-steering points and good post production. All film making basics apply: rules of thirds, depth of field, shooting from the hip, etc. You can buy all the doo-dads and tech stuff, but lack of basic film making will make for a boring video. Good, solid, raw footage is key.

Also, learn how to edit really well - but even the best editing programs like Final Cut Pro will do no good without great raw footage. Learn about compression and output, you will loose a lot of quality when you publish if you're not keen on that - sometimes the videos come out "grey" in color. Mornings and evenings are the best time to shoot, unless you're going for a specific "feel" - like today would be a great day to do a B&W project.

I've been making riding videos for the last 10 years back when we were using bullet cameras and video tape (on motorcycles). I was making BMX videos in 1990 with big shoulder mount VHS cameras and tape-to-tape editing bays.

No matter what you're doing, remember that even with a riding video, you're trying to convey a mood... a feeling... you can create suspense, drama, comedy, etc. even with mountain biking. Basics, like high contrast and fast cuts to project a feeling of action versus muted contrast and slow cross dissolves to project a feeling of calmness... some points to be aware of.

A lot of people just mount it on the stem, helmet or chest (my least favorite spots to mount), edit it with a few cross dissolves, and lay their favorite music on it with no native sound. Although there's nothing wrong with that - anybody can do that.

Good luck!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    I was making BMX videos in 1990 with big shoulder mount VHS cameras and tape-to-tape editing bays.
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Nice!
    This is what I used back then

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    For the chest mount, tape a piece of foam behind it to get the right angle. Cohenfive got me a piece of foam about 1" thick, and that did the trick.
    bill, i'd be happy to get you a piece of foam as well...

great gift, i have one of the older models but it is still a ton of fun to use...also can go underwater in case you fall off into a stream or something!

mtbr member
    You should do an on-line class or something about this. I've seen lots of POV videos that I skip through because they end up kind of boring after a minute or so. But a few are well done--basically because of the reasons you list.

It'd be great to see some good (and bad) examples of videos with spoken or caption commentary at important parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It's all about mounting on non-steering points and good post production. All film making basics apply: rules of thirds, depth of field, shooting from the hip, etc. You can buy all the doo-dads and tech stuff, but lack of basic film making will make for a boring video. Good, solid, raw footage is key.

Also, learn how to edit really well - but even the best editing programs like Final Cut Pro will do no good without great raw footage. Learn about compression and output, you will loose a lot of quality when you publish if you're not keen on that - sometimes the videos come out "grey" in color. Mornings and evenings are the best time to shoot, unless you're going for a specific "feel" - like today would be a great day to do a B&W project.

I've been making riding videos for the last 10 years back when we were using bullet cameras and video tape (on motorcycles). I was making BMX videos in 1990 with big shoulder mount VHS cameras and tape-to-tape editing bays.

No matter what you're doing, remember that even with a riding video, you're trying to convey a mood... a feeling... you can create suspense, drama, comedy, etc. even with mountain biking. Basics, like high contrast and fast cuts to project a feeling of action versus muted contrast and slow cross dissolves to project a feeling of calmness... some points to be aware of.

A lot of people just mount it on the stem, helmet or chest (my least favorite spots to mount), edit it with a few cross dissolves, and lay their favorite music on it with no native sound. Although there's nothing wrong with that - anybody can do that.

Good luck!
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Shot some helmet cam footage with the Kid's new Contour 2+ on Christmas Day. You have to get REALLY close to fill the frame with the rider. The camera man also has to be very disciplined about keeping their core still and keep their focus on the other rider instead of the trail in front of them. Also, with the helmet mount, the high camera positon destroys your sense of the slope of the trail.

Lots of technical challenges with this kind of work. You can really see how this is the kind of thing where you shoot hours to get seconds of truly usable footage.

dvo
    mtbr member
    I either use the chest mount with the camera mounted upside down to get the angle right, the camera has a setting to deal with this, or mounted to the side of my full face with a few connectors. Either way I put a small piece of duct tape in the bed of the mount to tighten up the connection and to avoid the dreaded woodpecker sound effect of a loose mount.

I Ride Bikes
    Hey NorCal,

I just picked up a GoPro 3 black today. I've never owned one of these cameras before. So I'm just searching the forum to see how others are using, abusing, and having fun with their GP's.

I figured I just stop in and say "Hi" since I was in the area.

Laters dudes.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My favorite mount is this one. I like to mount it underneath the downtube, on a fork leg, etc. I've also mounted it on a 5ft. pole to use it as a boom for overhead shots of riding and to follow somebody. I have a dowel with a cart wheel at the bottom where I can roll my camera around very low (good for urban/BMX/trials).

I was using this mount before I ever got a GoPro. It's a universal mount using a simple c-clamp style system. I got a GoPro tripod adapter for this, but I broke this in Demo.

I used to mount this on foot pegs for BMX videos, and back when I had a bullet cam, I also used this on motorcycles.

The other mounts that I have in mind need to be custom made. I want to make boom mounts so that I can mount with a 2ft. extension above me (of course, this won't work on some trails). I also want to make a boom mount that will face me and show at least two riders behind me. This will require some sort of extender, as well. Or, one to extend behind me on the lower end of the bike.

So, I am trying to design a universal mount extension boom at will extend 2-3ft. anywhere. Vibration will be an issue, though, so I may have to go with something shorter. What's great about the GoPro is the wide angle 1080 has such great peripheral.

I Ride Bikes
    anybody here use the chest mount? how does that work for you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    No, no one here uses that, it's awful.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

I Ride Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    No, no one here uses that, it's awful.
    what do you use?

mtbr member
    Another New GoPro user...
    Subscribed.

Ben
    Looking for that perfect trail…again…and…again…and…again…

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    I use it sometimes. I have it cinched down really tight to reduce shaking. It's still too shaky for full-screen viewing.
    ]

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You know, I hate to say it, but the solution is gyro stabilization, which is heavy and complicated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    These two videos I did using a bullet cam and a 8mm camcorder. The first rider is AMA Superstar Elena Myers on a SuperMoto at Stockton Motorplex (#21). I believe she was 12 yrs. old in this video.

I even think NuckingFutz is in this video.

I had to use a video capture card and digitize - this killed the quality.

This is using the c-clamp style mount with a regular digital camera (Canon point and shoot). Didn't have 1080p, but it worked for what we needed it for. You see me crash in the end.

I made this the same way. This was my first MTB video. Still, no GoPro yet.

This is my most recent projects in order that they were made:

My latest - messing with different camera mounting spots and iMovie. The GoPro even picked up the sweat dripping from my forehead!

I am thoroughly impressed with the GoProHD2. I'm sure the 3 is even better. It handles slow-motion really well considering it's the "wrong" way to do true slow motion, and the quality handles compression very well if you use the right codec.

I've considered buy Final Cut Pro, but for what I do, iMovie works fine, although a bit limited. I miss having Abode After Effects as a motion graphics program.
    Last edited by Dion; 12-27-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Paper or plastic?
    The chest mount is my favorite. The real issue is that to make an interesting movie you have to spend an inordinate amount of time playing with the camera, the angle, etc. Then, it takes even more time doing to edit the movie. Basically,it's a giant time suck, but a fun one.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

What is the best software to edit videos

What do you use to edit your GoPro clips? Something really easy to use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by morozka1 View Post
    I use iMovie. But Final Cut Pro would be the ultimate.

I used to edit everything on a PC with Adobe Premiere and used Adobe After Effects (with Illustrator and Photoshop) to create my motion graphics. That's what I'm really missing - but when I switched to Mac, the software was a bit pricey.

I still make my graphics in Illustrator, rasterize them in Photoshop and import. Text feature in iMovie isn't bad, although limited.

Timed transitions with music is a little tricky with iMovie and takes a lot of patience to get it down so it looks decent.

I know it sounds really geeky, but I want to do a short, independent documentary about MTB's in Santa Teresa County Park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morozka1 View Post
    I found avs4you to be pretty intuitive, once you make your first one you can create a video pretty quickly. Its fairly cheap and you can download a trail version to try it out.

AVS Video Editor: perfect for home video editing. Edit video easily!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    @Dion
    I just got a MacBook pro so I will try IMovie
    Also for some reason my footage is always blury. I can't figure out how to clean it up. The screen is clean and I think its just setting on the gopro unit itself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast