• 12-27-2012
    GuruAtma
    Here's a vid I got from Ibis of a Gopro attached to a pole and helmet. Seems very smooth:

    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/52214380" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/52214380">HERO3 Test- around JH</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/whiteford">Andrew Whiteford</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  • 12-27-2012
    morozka1
    Bicycle Tours New York | New York Day Tours | Bicycle Day Trips New York City Bike Tours New York | Bike Tour Experts in New York City, New York State, New Jersey

    This is actually a video I did for one of my rides. All my videos seem blury but I am using Hero2 though. Shouldn't be much of a difference in the viewing.
  • 12-27-2012
    Dion
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    Here's a vid I got from Ibis of a Gopro attached to a pole and helmet.

    That's what I want!

    Blurry videos:

    1. Do you still have the underwater case on? That is an extra "bubble" over the lens that will produce a blurry video.

    2. Uploading to YouTube. I'm over them. Their compression is too much and they ding you on music use.

    3. Codecs and compression. Output to the highest quality, always. You will have to experiment what works for you, but I find MP4 is very nice.

    4. Vimeo FTW! YouTube can suck it!

    5. Lighting. Low light days with minimal contrast will always be a little iffy. But the GoPro on 1080HD will handle lower lighting just fine.
  • 12-27-2012
    morozka1
    Dion Thank you will play around. Appreciate all the feedback.
  • 12-27-2012
    TheMachinist
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by morozka1 View Post
    @Dion
    I just got a MacBook pro so I will try IMovie
    Also for some reason my footage is always blury. I can't figure out how to clean it up. The screen is clean and I think its just setting on the gopro unit itself.

    I have found that going to 60 frames per second gave me better results. On the Hero2 you only get 60fps in 720p.
  • 12-27-2012
    SunGuy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Then, it takes even more time doing to edit the movie. Basically,it's a giant time suck, but a fun one.

    :thumbsup: True statement here!
  • 12-27-2012
    Dion
    Oh, for you PC users, Windows Movie Maker is good. I used that to edit videos 2 and 3 in my post above.
  • 12-27-2012
    zorg
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Oh, for you PC users, Windows Movie Maker is good. I used that to edit videos 2 and 3 in my post above.

    True, even if it can crash right before saving your edits that you've just spent 2 hours working on...:madman:
  • 12-27-2012
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dion View Post

    5. Lighting. Low light days with minimal contrast will always be a little iffy. But the GoPro on 1080HD will handle lower lighting just fine.

    This. Because these things have auto iris they are absolutely crap in any kind of contrasty type environs (in and out of tress and shade on a sunny day). Think foggy days under the canopy or golden hour under a fully exposed trail for good results. Dion's other tips are great as well. In addition, since you can't change focal length, think about getting the camera off the bike and incorporating as many different angles as you can (on the ground as tires roll past, high in a tree angled down, etc.) Personally, I actually like the chest mount pov if you're by yourself. To me the helmet pov gives no perspective and sorta smooths everything out to the point that it's boring to watch. Also, agree with Dion about vimeo vs. youtube although vimeo technically has the same rules with regards to music. Oh yeah, almost forgot, please no more hair metal soundtracks.
  • 12-27-2012
    ForbiddenBeat
    You'll have a lot of fun trying out different mountain angles.

    I tried the handlebar mount out front:

    Skeggs Blue Blossom 9 3 12 - YouTube

    And a custom mount I made attached to the downtube:

    Skeggs/ECDM Resolution Trail - GoPro HD Hero 2 frame mount - YouTube

    I also tried the helmet mount on top of the helmet, but the video was boring (everything looks slow and really smooth), and I crashed because of the distraction.

    I've found the lower to the ground the better. A fork mount would be great. The best videos mix perspective with normal footage (such as mounting the GoPro to a tripod low on the trail), but of course if you're filming yourself, that would take all day.
  • 12-27-2012
    jkidd_39
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    Here's a vid I got from Ibis of a Gopro attached to a pole and helmet. Seems very smooth:

    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/52214380" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/52214380">HERO3 Test- around JH</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/whiteford">Andrew Whiteford</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

    any pics or links to the pole set up? that looks great.. very smooth.. and your riding ain't too shabby either.. very smooth as well.
  • 12-27-2012
    mpmffitz
    Don't post videos of hush trails on youtube
  • 12-27-2012
    jkidd_39
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mpmffitz View Post
    Don't post videos of hush trails on youtube

    What is a hush trail?
  • 12-28-2012
    bcr42
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    That's what I want!

    Blurry videos:

    1. Do you still have the underwater case on? That is an extra "bubble" over the lens that will produce a blurry video.

    2. Uploading to YouTube. I'm over them. Their compression is too much and they ding you on music use.

    3. Codecs and compression. Output to the highest quality, always. You will have to experiment what works for you, but I find MP4 is very nice.

    4. Vimeo FTW! YouTube can suck it!

    5. Lighting. Low light days with minimal contrast will always be a little iffy. But the GoPro on 1080HD will handle lower lighting just fine.

    Dion, what resolution would you recommend setting the GoPro Hero 3 to while filming MTN biking videos riding single track? Mostly in shaded woods with the occasional sunny spots. The Hero 3 has 4k cin, 4k, 2.7cin, 2.7, 1440, 1080, 960,720. Also, what about FPS? Should I go with 60,48,30, or 24? I've got an new imac on its way, so hopefully my computer will be able to handle any of these settings. As you can see, I'm new to this and want to be able to edit through imovie as best as possible.
  • 12-28-2012
    GoGoGordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    That's what I want!

    Blurry videos:

    1. Do you still have the underwater case on? That is an extra "bubble" over the lens that will produce a blurry video.

    2. Uploading to YouTube. I'm over them. Their compression is too much and they ding you on music use.

    3. Codecs and compression. Output to the highest quality, always. You will have to experiment what works for you, but I find MP4 is very nice.

    4. Vimeo FTW! YouTube can suck it!

    5. Lighting. Low light days with minimal contrast will always be a little iffy. But the GoPro on 1080HD will handle lower lighting just fine.

    Yeah You Toob sucks now cause theres no way to find out if the song your using is allowed till AFTER youve done all the work on your movie. :madman::madman::madman:

    I have A Vimeo acct. but does anyone know what their deal with copyright songs are?
    Seems like there should be a resource where you can check to see if your music selection is ok to use BEFORE you do all the friggin work on your movie. :madmax::madmax:
  • 12-28-2012
    Dion
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    True, even if it can crash right before saving your edits that you've just spent 2 hours working on...:madman:

    Before I figured out iMovie, I tried to edit a video on Movie Maker on my work laptop - FAIL!!!! It crashed constantly. On my PC desktop, not so much.

    But, the real issue I had with Movie Maker was codec compatibility. Movie Maker would not recognize the MP4 raw files GoPro puts out, even with the latest codec pack. So, what I was forced to do, was go through a long, awful process of converting to super hi-resolution .AVI files, which were not only worse in quality, but double to triple the size of the MP4's.

    iMovie reads the raw MP4 files without issue.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bcr42 View Post
    Dion, what resolution would you recommend setting the GoPro Hero 3 to while filming MTN biking videos riding single track? Mostly in shaded woods with the occasional sunny spots. The Hero 3 has 4k cin, 4k, 2.7cin, 2.7, 1440, 1080, 960,720. Also, what about FPS? Should I go with 60,48,30, or 24? I've got an new imac on its way, so hopefully my computer will be able to handle any of these settings. As you can see, I'm new to this and want to be able to edit through imovie as best as possible.

    I also had the same Q's so I went online to see what the tech nerds were saying. My first few "experiments" didn't come out very well - I also had blurry issues and compression issues that left a lot of artifacts and pixelation. Also, I removed the underwater seal thingy, and that made things much better! :lol:

    Since I have a GoPro2HD, I don't have as many settings, so I go with the highest setting possible - and that's 1080 - 30fps. 1080 is widescreen, as well, so you will be able to pick up the peripheral better, and you'll get that "fish eye" look. WVGA - 60 is a lower quality video.

    FPS is "frames per second" and, unless you are going to do only slow motion, fps, by the naked eye and for most enthusiasts purposes, is a non-issue. I actually like the look of digital slow motion with 30fps, from a creative point of view. If you are going to shoot videos with no intent of doing any slow motion, shoot in 30fps.

    On my last video of me riding STCP on my On-One 456, @ 2:33 I do an edit that goes from 300% sped up - to 25% slowed down - to 300% sped up - to normal speed, in a 5 second time lapse. I thought that it turned out kinda cool.

    So, if you want the highest quality, go 1080. That is HD. Unfortunately, you will have larger file sizes. It sucks somebody has to get through all this technical stuff - I just want to make cool artistic videos.

    When I was editing on VHS, there was always issue when going from tape-to-tape when it came to quality. The further you got away from the raw tape (original footage), the worst quality became. It's like finding old pornos where somebody did a recording of a recording of a recording. Try to publish/render with the least amount of compression possible, or the best compression codec available at the highest quality (1080). When you upload, to say, Vimeo, your video will nearly be raw, and your video will be a much higher quality. When you start messing with heavy compression, you have smaller files, but the quality is lost.

    I've had thoughts of shooting things on 8mm film for off the bike. NO digital filter can replicate that! I also want to do a complete edit with only my iPhone - which, with some experimenting, I was able to capture some very dramatic depth of field.
  • 12-28-2012
    bcr42
    Thanks Dion. Would you say that anything over 1080 is overkill for what I'm wanting to do?
  • 12-28-2012
    Dion
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bcr42 View Post
    Thanks Dion. Would you say that anything over 1080 is overkill for what I'm wanting to do?

    1080 16:9 is the biggest you can go with GoPro (so far).
  • 12-28-2012
    Metamorphic
    Ok, what's up with iMovie. I've done everything but get in my knees and beg to get my clips into the editing space. I've tried dragging, importing, exporting, rearranging directories. Nothing. iMovie has to be the least intuitive apple product I've ever seen. Help!
  • 12-28-2012
    Dion
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Ok, what's up with iMovie. I've done everything but get in my knees and beg to get my clips into the editing space. I've tried dragging, importing, exporting, rearranging directories. Nothing. iMovie has to be the least intuitive apple product I've ever seen. Help!

    I felt that way, but I got it DOWN now! I can't go into it... it's a bit much. There are some very good tutorials online. Just search! :thumbsup:

    Helped me a ton.
  • 12-28-2012
    GoGoGordo
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Ok, what's up with iMovie. I've done everything but get in my knees and beg to get my clips into the editing space. I've tried dragging, importing, exporting, rearranging directories. Nothing. iMovie has to be the least intuitive apple product I've ever seen. Help!

    This helped me ALOT!
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tuto...16624070?mt=12
    Best $5 Ive spent yet .
    Imovie is good but learning curve is slow.
    At least to me.:p
    But after watching these tutorials I get it now.
    Just gotta practice more.
    Making movies is fun but way too time consuming.
    Like I said earlier, the whole process takes time and when you download to YOU Boob and then they reject your movie because of song copyright infringement, it then becomes a waste of time.
    Good luck.
    G
  • 12-30-2012
    freighttrainuphill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    But, the real issue I had with Movie Maker was codec compatibility. Movie Maker would not recognize the MP4 raw files GoPro puts out, even with the latest codec pack. So, what I was forced to do, was go through a long, awful process of converting to super hi-resolution .AVI files, which were not only worse in quality, but double to triple the size of the MP4's.

    iMovie reads the raw MP4 files without issue.

    If you have Windows 7 or 8 and Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 or 2012 (not the old Windows Movie Maker that came with XP or Vista), you can edit the .mp4 files from the GoPro and the .mov files from the Contour without having to do any lossy or time-consuming conversions first.

    I've been using WLMM 2011 on my Windows 7 desktop for almost a year now, and it works flawlessly. I save my work after every edit, so that's usually every few minutes. So far I've never lost all my work due to a crash.

    I record in WVGA 848x480 60fps to save space. I'm not trying to make money with my videos, so I really couldn't care less about making a professional production. I like to relive my rides, and other people like to see them too.

    Even though I record in WVGA mode, it still looks fine on YouTube. In fact, one of my subscribers who uploads in HD wanted to know why my videos looked better than his (his words).

    I refuse to put music over my videos. I prefer to hear the sounds of a real bike ride. I like the commentary from other riders and hikers, which can be funny at times. I also like to hear the bike sounds, nature sounds, and my suffering on climbs. I love climbing!

    I have some bouncing when using the chest mount, but that's because I'm a female cyclist ;).

    Here's one of my videos shot with the chest mount. Be forewarned, there's plenty of audible breathing on the climbs!

    Flood Road Trail, Mossy Rock Trail MTB ride (Auburn, CA) 11-27-12 - YouTube
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ND96_ghUPTc" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>
  • 01-01-2013
    GuruAtma
    Put the GoPro w/chest strap on my dog:

    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/foZDDYE1uCM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/foZDDYE1uCM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  • 01-01-2013
    Metamorphic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    Put the GoPro w/chest strap on my dog:

    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/foZDDYE1uCM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/foZDDYE1uCM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

    Tried mounting my contour on the dog. The mount is too lot to her back so her head fills up the shot. Also there's too much side side movement when she walks. Have to do some more thinking on this.
  • 01-02-2013
    Dion
    My ride from yesterday.

    Did a loop at Santa Teresa County Park the first day after it re-opened due to muddy conditions. It was still slick out there, and the dirt didn't climb very well... but it was a ride. Sorry for the bumpiness - now you can recall what it was like to ride an old, steel MTB!

    Bike: 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp (Rigid) 1X9
    Camera: GoPro2 HD
    Ride: 19 miles; 2,500'

    Not too impressed with the final output. I wasn't able to squeeze in under 500mb with HD (due to length), so I had to compress more than I liked. There are some non-HD artifacts on this vid, so I'm uploading to BoobYou right now with a 3GB file to see if I can get better resolution.

    EDIT: Uploaded to BoobYoob. Watch it in HD!

  • 01-02-2013
    NuckingFuts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    These two videos I did using a bullet cam and a 8mm camcorder. The first rider is AMA Superstar Elena Myers on a SuperMoto at Stockton Motorplex (#21). I believe she was 12 yrs. old in this video.

    I even think NuckingFutz is in this video.

    I had to use a video capture card and digitize - this killed the quality.


    HAHA!! Good eye, that's me at 2:07 on the pipe! Good times!!!:thumbsup:
  • 01-02-2013
    GuruAtma
    I did a ride at Annadel with the chest mount. Added bonus of the chest mount: it's a poor-man's heart rate monitor. You can hear my heart beating pretty clearly :)
  • 01-02-2013
    Dion
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NuckingFuts View Post
    HAHA!! Good eye, that's me at 2:07 on the pipe! Good times!!!:thumbsup:

    F*CK! We all were on it that day! You were really hauling a$$!

    I can't believe Matt let us get away with all those wheelies and stunts. :lol:

    That place will be legendary.

    Rest in Peace, Stockton Motorplex :(
  • 01-03-2013
    paulney
    Got my Silver Hero3, and while the camera is amazing when it works, the firmware coders should be flogged.

    This thing kept crapping out on me on the ski slopes all the time. Constantly froze up even after the latest firmware update - had to do a battery pull after every run. I read on the forums about other users complaining about cold and locking up. If the latest firmware I pulled right on Dec 31 does not fix the issue, it's going back to GoPro for an exchange.

    I also could not get a preview running on iPhone with the latest app and firmware. Wrote to their tech support and received a canned response back. Thanks for nothing.

    We'll see...
  • 01-07-2013
    somanygoodbikes
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Please report back your findings.


    Magura :)


    Finally made it to the local Apple Store with an SD card full of 1080p clips from the GoPro.

    Tried one of the current MacBook Pro Retina 15" models.

    Importing was noticeably faster.
    Editing and playing back saved clips of 1080p footage was smooth.
    Exporting the file -- aka sharing with Quicktime -- seemed about the same. A better test would probably involve larger files, but I was already sold at that point.

    The newer models finally have graphics cards that can run high resolutions both on the retina screen and on (multiple!) external monitors. This should make it more convenient to edit photos as well.

    Now I just need to figure out how to order a custom build with the internal drive combo I want.
  • 01-27-2013
    Muadib
    My suggestion is to return it and get the cheaper Hero 2 for the following reason: 1) battery life on the 3 is brutal! 2) The Hero 3 was rushed to market to make money over the holiday season, way too buggy 3) the cheaper Hero 2 shoots great video, has tons of battery life and is bug free. hope this helps
  • 01-27-2013
    freighttrainuphill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    My suggestion is to return it and get the cheaper Hero 2 for the following reason: 1) battery life on the 3 is brutal! 2) The Hero 3 was rushed to market to make money over the holiday season, way too buggy 3) the cheaper Hero 2 shoots great video, has tons of battery life and is bug free. hope this helps

    I agree. I am not an early adopter of technology precisely for these reasons. In fact, I recently bought a second Hero2 at REI for $199.95. I can still use all my existing batteries, accessories, and memory cards. If I had bought a Hero3, I wouldn't be able to use the older batteries because Hero3 uses different batteries. Hero2 batteries won't work in a Hero3, AFAIK.

    Also, the Hero3 uses the more expensive microSD cards instead of standard SD cards.
  • 01-27-2013
    paulney
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I agree. I am not an early adopter of technology precisely for these reasons. In fact, I recently bought a second Hero2 at REI for $199.95. I can still use all my existing batteries, accessories, and memory cards. If I had bought a Hero3, I wouldn't be able to use the older batteries because Hero3 uses different batteries. Hero2 batteries won't work in a Hero3, AFAIK.

    Also, the Hero3 uses the more expensive microSD cards instead of standard SD cards.

    The cost difference of micro SD cards today is pretty negligible, but I agree - battery life sucks. I wanted to shoot some time lapse videos, and the camera lasts maybe 40 minutes at most on a fully charged battery.
  • 01-27-2013
    BigLarry
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    My suggestion is to return it and get the cheaper Hero 2 for the following reason: 1) battery life on the 3 is brutal! 2) The Hero 3 was rushed to market to make money over the holiday season, way too buggy 3) the cheaper Hero 2 shoots great video, has tons of battery life and is bug free. hope this helps

    Some comments on your points:
    1. Battery life for the Hero3 Black at 1080p 30 FPS is about 2 hours, similar to Hero2 for the same resolution. See here. But if you want to use the improved HD camera capability at higher FPS, you use more battery (just like a high HP sports car uses more fuel to go faster). I absolutely love the higher resolution, and just buy more batteries.
    2. Yes, the GoPro Hero3 initially had some bad bugs, according to reports I've read. Fortunately the bugs were fully fixed by the December 15 update, according to their CEO. I've not experienced any bugs personally, having received my GoPro as a Xmas present and immediately updated. I've used it for dozens of hours over many rides without any flaw whatsoever. Rather, the Android preview App is pretty cool and works well to preview and set up the camera.
    3. I agree one should probably stick with the Hero2 if you don't want the improved resolution or speed capability of the Hero 3. But there's still many other added improvements with the Hero 3, such as near zero wind noise (I can only hear myself breathing), 2X lower dark levels, better lens with lower distortion, smaller size for convenience, etc.. Overall, it's a great camera with all around improvements, and finally the quality level I've been waiting for to get into video.

    I don't have the artistic skill or time to make a top video for others like those posted here. Nevertheless, I'll post some videos later, once I get better at editing (and down converting for online, which destroys the beauty of the higher resolutions). For now I greatly enjoy watching my own rides, especially with the 1440p camera resolution that lets me see the sky and detailed trail under the tire at the same time, as well as surrounding scenery in detail. Absolutely stunning, filling out my 27" (1440x2560) computer monitor with sharp action.

    EDIT: On more thought, the suggestion to return a buggy Hero3 to instead get the Hero2 makes more sense for the Hero 3 Silver, which doesn't have the higher quality of the Hero 3 Black in many regards. The Hero 3 Silver is more like the Hero 2, except for size and few other things.
  • 01-28-2013
    freighttrainuphill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    3. I agree one should probably stick with the Hero2 if you don't want the improved resolution or speed capability of the Hero 3. But there's still many other added improvements with the Hero 3, such as near zero wind noise (I can only hear myself breathing), 2X lower dark levels, better lens with lower distortion, smaller size for convenience, etc.. Overall, it's a great camera with all around improvements, and finally the quality level I've been waiting for to get into video.

    I don't have the artistic skill or time to make a top video for others like those posted here. Nevertheless, I'll post some videos later, once I get better at editing (and down converting for online, which destroys the beauty of the higher resolutions). For now I greatly enjoy watching my own rides, especially with the 1440p camera resolution that lets me see the sky and detailed trail under the tire at the same time, as well as surrounding scenery in detail. Absolutely stunning, filling out my 27" (1440x2560) computer monitor with sharp action.

    Less wind noise? Now I'm interested! I always make my videos with 100% natural sound and no music, so audio quality is important to me. My videos document my rides exactly as they happen, so I like to make them realistic. For me that means good, clean, natural sound.

    Also, since I enjoy suffering on climbs I like the camera to pick up my breathing, as it shows how tough the climbs are.

    I would like to see some of your videos without any music or fancy editing. Some good tough climbs and fast downhills would be a good test for the camera. It might make me want to sell my three Contours and get a Hero3 instead. I quit using the ContourHD on my helmet due to the excessive wind noise. I now use a Hero2, and I love it! The Hero2 has better audio and video quality than the Contour too.

    I also like to see other people's videos from my favorite trails, but it's hard to find any that don't have music on them. They're out there, but you have to sift through a lot of music videos to find them.

    I like some music videos, but prefer raw sound for most riding, especially climbing.
  • 01-28-2013
    Muadib
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Some comments on your points:
    1. Battery life for the Hero3 Black at 1080p 30 FPS is about 2 hours, similar to Hero2 for the same resolution. See here. But if you want to use the improved HD camera capability at higher FPS, you use more battery (just like a high HP sports car uses more fuel to go faster). I absolutely love the higher resolution, and just buy more batteries.
    2. Yes, the GoPro Hero3 initially had some bad bugs, according to reports I've read. Fortunately the bugs were fully fixed by the December 15 update, according to their CEO. I've not experienced any bugs personally, having received my GoPro as a Xmas present and immediately updated. I've used it for dozens of hours over many rides without any flaw whatsoever. Rather, the Android preview App is pretty cool and works well to preview and set up the camera.
    3. I agree one should probably stick with the Hero2 if you don't want the improved resolution or speed capability of the Hero 3. But there's still many other added improvements with the Hero 3, such as near zero wind noise (I can only hear myself breathing), 2X lower dark levels, better lens with lower distortion, smaller size for convenience, etc.. Overall, it's a great camera with all around improvements, and finally the quality level I've been waiting for to get into video.

    I don't have the artistic skill or time to make a top video for others like those posted here. Nevertheless, I'll post some videos later, once I get better at editing (and down converting for online, which destroys the beauty of the higher resolutions). For now I greatly enjoy watching my own rides, especially with the 1440p camera resolution that lets me see the sky and detailed trail under the tire at the same time, as well as surrounding scenery in detail. Absolutely stunning, filling out my 27" (1440x2560) computer monitor with sharp action.

    EDIT: On more thought, the suggestion to return a buggy Hero3 to instead get the Hero2 makes more sense for the Hero 3 Silver, which doesn't have the higher quality of the Hero 3 Black in many regards. The Hero 3 Silver is more like the Hero 2, except for size and few other things.

    While I agree 110% with your 2nd and 3rd point - I can (first hand) point out that 2 hours is not happening for me or my uncle. With the black edition GoPro camera on 1080, I got about 45min and on any higher settings like 120fps at 720 I got around 30min. Now, if I used the wifi remote, god help me! 25min!

    With the battery backpack, the times shifter about 1 hour more. The bugs are still prevalent, even after the update and my uncle has gone through 3 cameras. This can be seen with a simple google search. Sad, bec this is was a great company and product line. All that said, I'm sure they'll eventually solve all the issue.....with time but bad for the consumer.
  • 01-29-2013
    BigLarry
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by freighttrainuphill View Post
    I would like to see some of your videos without any music or fancy editing.

    I have some videos of riding and climbing, but this one best illustrates the variety of sounds on a first GoPro Black 3 test ride on the local trails just outside my house.

    It has a variety of sounds from different terrain, passing cars, bells, leaves, road, bike rattle, and mostly my breathing. Yet, throughout all, wind noise is minor.

    As I get time and improve my editing, I'll post more of the better trails. I got very nice ones from Ft Ord Red Rock and Goat trials. One of my biggest problems in editing now is finding music that's not copyrighted. I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you.
  • 01-29-2013
    BigLarry
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    While I agree 110% with your 2nd and 3rd point - I can (first hand) point out that 2 hours is not happening for me or my uncle. With the black edition GoPro camera on 1080, I got about 45min and on any higher settings like 120fps at 720 I got around 30min. Now, if I used the wifi remote, god help me! 25min!

    With the recommended resolution of 1440 at 48 FPS, I'm getting about 45 minutes per battery. To be safe, I swap the battery a little after 30 minutes, when I see one bar. I now carry 1 to 3 extra batteries. But I really don't need to record every part of the ride. If I just record the interesting and fun parts of the ride, one spare battery looks to be enough on most rides. Maybe more on long rides. Just being more selective means I don't have to edit all the garbage and fill my disk with stuff I don't need anyway.

    Again, the much higher performance and quality of the Hero 3 Black is of great value to me, and the battery life is a minor inconvenience for me. It's easy and quick to swap out.

    (BTW, for Annadel, I'll take all four batteries. Everything is good there.)
  • 01-29-2013
    freighttrainuphill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    I have some videos of riding and climbing, but this one best illustrates the variety of sounds on a first GoPro Black 3 test ride on the local trails just outside my house.

    It has a variety of sounds from different terrain, passing cars, bells, leaves, road, bike rattle, and mostly my breathing. Yet, throughout all, wind noise is minor.

    As I get time and improve my editing, I'll post more of the better trails. I got very nice ones from Ft Ord Red Rock and Goat trials. One of my biggest problems in editing now is finding music that's not copyrighted. I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you.

    That is pretty impressive! When I originally compared the audio from my GoPro HD Hero 960 and ContourHD cameras, I liked the fact that there was much less wind noise on the GoPro, but your Hero3 is even better! I wonder how they managed to eliminate most of the wind noise?

    I assume you're using the provided non-waterproof door, as that lets in much more sound. I always use the non-waterproof door.

    YouTube has really cracked down on copyrighted stuff in the past few years. I used to have a few videos that had music on them due to crappy or no audio (videos sped up in Windows Live Movie Maker don't have audio as the software mutes it). I moved them all over to Vimeo after another YouTube user reported receiving two copyright strikes in a row for songs that went through YouTube's automated "ContentID" system just fine over a year before the strike.

    If you receive three copyright strikes, YouTube will terminate your account. There is royalty-free music out there, but most of it suuuucks!

    Since the Hero3 has such good audio, there's nothing wrong with making videos without music to avoid the copyright police ;).