mtbr dismember

Good to be back!

Four weeks ago today I had some surgery to open up my nose and throat to help with some serious sleeping problems. After just three weeks off the bike I seemed to experience my worse comeback ever. Ten days ago I did 32 miles at Auburn and I can honestly say I have never been so sore, even during my first days of riding. Every muscle in my legs hurt for nearly a week. Three days ago 42 miles at Auburn went much better.

Today I headed out to New Melones, not expecting much. But it was great to get out of the fog into the sun, and the trails were in perfect shape. Without too much effort I rode non-stop for nearly thee hours and I rode my fastest pace ever, 9.9 mph. Topofusion says I stopped for 38 seconds, but I slowed twice for a rider and his dog and my slow, deliberate pace down the several switchbacks probably fooled the GPS. I've been striving to average 10 mph on this route for quite sometime, but it will be difficult because there is a one mile climb near the end that goes pretty slowly.

By the way, on my first ride, the first time I sucked on my CamelBak, I found out the purpose of the uvula. It prevents liquids from going up your nose! I'm still working to modify my drinking technique.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Four weeks ago today I had some surgery to open up my nose and throat to help with some serious sleeping problems. After just three weeks off the bike I seemed to experience my worse comeback ever. Ten days ago I did 32 miles at Auburn and I can honestly say I have never been so sore, even during my first days of riding. Every muscle in my legs hurt for nearly a week. Three days ago 42 miles at Auburn went much better.

Today I headed out to New Melones, not expecting much. But it was great to get out of the fog into the sun, and the trails were in perfect shape. Without too much effort I rode non-stop for nearly thee hours and I rode my fastest pace ever, 9.9 mph. Topofusion says I stopped for 38 seconds, but I slowed twice for a rider and his dog and my slow, deliberate pace down the several switchbacks probably fooled the GPS. I've been striving to average 10 mph on this route for quite sometime, but it will be difficult because there is a one mile climb near the end that goes pretty slowly.

By the way, on my first ride, the first time I sucked on my CamelBak, I found out the purpose of the uvula. It prevents liquids from going up your nose! I'm still working to modify my drinking technique.

Glad to see your back in action; enjoy

HTFU!
    Welcome back,
    Who knows, maybe the surgery helps increase your intake of oxygen while riding thus leading to more oxygen in the blood leading to increased performance. Surely this will catch on with the top riders and eventually the USADA and other governing bodies will be performing nose and throat checks along side drug testing. You just may be a trendsetter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Glad to see you healthy and back out there! Enjoy reading your ride reports. Marty