mtbr member

Gold Lake and Basin... open?

Anybody know if Gold lakes roads and Trails are open and clear?

Thanks,
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Lower Mills and Gray Eagle Creek (and the connector trail) are open. Gray Eagle Creek Trail is open from the Gray Eagle Lodge down but took a beating from the weather and is fun if you like a rowdy ride. I had fun on it. Gold Lake Rd was still closed a few days ago but will likely open soon. Except for Mills, except to see some trees down and damage until we can get to it... Might want to wait a couple more weeks to see how the basin clears up. I'm headed up for a quick ride and will check on the road and report back any trail updates. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Awesome info !..

Mucho appreciatito .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Just back from a fun loop in the Lakes Basin. Parked at the Smith Lake trailhead near the Gray Eagle Lodge. Headed up to Smith Lake, then out and back on the newer section of the Smith Jamison Connector that we built. Poked my nose up the North side of Elwell then turned back and dropped Smith Creek Trail then turned right on the Smith/Gray Eagle Creek Connector, then back up Gray Eagle Creek to the Smith Lake Trailhead and my truck. Here's the deal:
    Gold Lake Road: Still closed but open to the campground above the Gray Eagle Lodge

Smith Lake Trail: Open and in good shape with one tree down.

Smith/Jamison Connector: Open and in good shape with a couple trees down.

North Side of Elwell: Snowed in a few hundred yards in with a huge tree down.

Smith Creek: More than a few trees down but rowdy and fun. A little beat up.

Smith/Gray Eagle Creek Connector: Good shape with a couple small trees down.

Gray Eagle Creek: Beat to crap from the rain with some trees down, but I was able to ride it both up and down. Harder than usual Techy fun! SBTS crew starts restoration work here tomorrow.

Mills Peak: Open and in awesome shape up to the jeep road. You can also pedal a half mile up the jeep road before hitting snow. Already logged out to the snow line and received no damage from the storms.

Quincy Southpark (nearby, but not in the basin): Great shape with just a couple minor trees down.

The majority of the Lakes Basin, including the top of Mills and especially Elwell will be snowed in for some time still. Will update if anything changes....

ronski
    Last edited by ronski; 04-14-2013 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Just back from a fun loop in the Lakes Basin. Parked at the Smith Lake trailhead near the Gray Eagle Lodge. Headed up to Smith Lake, then out and back on the newer section of the Smith Jamison Connector that we built. Poked my nose up the North side of Elwell then turned back and dropped Smith Creek Trail then turned right on the Smith/Gray Eagle Creek Connector, then back up Gray Eagle Creek to the Smith Lake Trailhead and my truck. Here's the deal:
    Gold Lake Road: Still closed but open to the campground above the Gray Eagle Lodge

Smith Lake Trail: Open and in good shape with one tree down.

Smith/Jamison Connector: Open and in good shape with a couple trees down.

North Side of Elwell: Snowed in a few hundred yards in with a huge tree down.

Smith Creek: More than a few trees down but rowdy and fun. A little beat up.

Smith/Gray Eagle Creek Connector: Good shape with a couple small trees down.

Gray Eagle Creek: Beat to crap from the rain with some trees down, but I was able to ride it both up and down. Harder than usual Techy fun! SBTS crew starts restoration and improvement work here tomorrow.

Mills Peak: Open and in awesome shape up to the jeep road. You can also pedal a half mile up the jeep road before hitting snow. Already logged out to the snow line and received no damage from the storms.

Quincy Southpark (nearby, but not in the basin): Great shape with just a couple minor trees down.

The majority of the Lakes Basin, including the top of Mills and especially Elwell will be snowed in for some time still. Will update if anything changes....

ronski
    Thanks for the update

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here's the buttes from today. Road's clear up to upper sardine lake.

GOPR2062 by Huck Pitueee, on Flickr

mtbr member

Gold Lake and Basin... open?

Is that the jeep road to upper sardine lake, it reminds me of Switzerland up there

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update Huck. Andy, the manager of the YUBA shop in Downieville just took this awesome shot from the Sardine Lake Boathouse. Get ready for an early Downieville and Lakes Basin season.

Gold Lake and Basin... open?-904840_10151414848473667_694584450_o-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmattcor View Post
    Is that the jeep road to upper sardine lake, it reminds me of Switzerland up there
    Yes. I see some camp sites close to Upper Sardine. Is it a legal camp area?

mtbr member
    Lakes Basin Update and Stoke Picture:

Gray Eagle Creek Trail was logged out yesterday by Greg Williams starting from the Gray Eagle Lodge to town.

Today I logged out Smith Lake Trail and Smith/Jamison Connector Trail. Also started a short ways up Elwell from Smith Lake Trail and cleared a couple big trees down before hitting snow. Hope to get to Smith Creek soon, then will start heading uphill into the basin.

Follow the link on my Sig to help make the next amazing project happen!!

-ronski

View of Smith Lake from the SBTS built Smith/Jamison Connector Trail
    Gold Lake and Basin... open?-smith-lake.jpg

mtbr member
    OK, for those following this thread... Melinda and I went out for a long day with the chainsaw and a McLeod to clear Smith Creek, then over Smith - Gray Eagle Creek Connector, and back up Gray Eagle Creek and back to the truck. 4 tanks of saw fuel, a long hike, and the trail is ready. Could use a little tread work but don't let that stop you. Smith Creek had a lot of blow down, but we got it all. What a great trail!! As a bonus, the rest of the bar oil leaked all over my pack when the container opened up. Good times.

Hope to check the trails above Gray Eagle Lodge soon. Early season this year boys and girls.
    Last edited by ronski; 04-18-2013 at 09:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome, thanks for all the hard trail work!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ron,
    Did that December rainstorm whoop up on your trails like it did down in Truck-town?

More Torque
    Great work. Looking forward to getting back up there!

-D

mtbr member
    John, the rainstorm did a number on the old trails. Everything we have built, like Mills Peak was untouched. It pays to design things right.

Update: Gold Lake highway is open all the way. Trails above the Gray Eagle lodge still snowed in. Melinda and I rode the Smith to Gray Eagle Creek loop today. Nice pair of Eagles on Smith Lake. We also started brushing Smith to Gray Eagle Creek Connector. We finished the logout yesterday, the brushing looks tough. Could use some help if anyone wants to join in...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for all the hard work and the updates

mtbr member
    Awesome Work...

Thank You !!
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Update: Melinda and I logged out and brushed Lakes Basin Campground to Gary Eagle Lodge. Still some rough tread from water damage but fun, rowdy and rideable. Lakes Basin Campground is not manned and the water is off but it's free for now and the bathrooms are open. Trails above the camp are ok for hiking but still too much snow to ride. Good loops below though. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Anyone ride Lakes Basin this past weekend that can provide an update to this thread? I'm heading there this weekend. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not much snow up there, the update from yesterday on Yuba's site says pretty much everything is open, even Elwell (with a few snow drifts).