Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Going Tubeless - can I get some advice on best practices?

Buying a bike that is coming with Tubeless set up. I tried Tubeless a long while back but hated it...imagine things have gotten much better.

Anyhow, what do I need to know? Should I carry 2 tubes on rides? How do you handle certain situations? How often do I put in the Stans? Tire pressures (27s)?

Any thoughts on the topic would be fabulous!

Thanks!
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    Personally I only carry one tube, since flats are so rare.

Tire pressure will be an experiment depending on your weight and conditions your riding in.

I'm experimenting with Orange seal right now, it's supposed to seal bigger holes and not dry out as fast as Stans.

I carry a few Isopropyl alcohol packages that work well for cleaning off the sealant around the area of a sidewall tear to make it easier to stick a boot on.

Get one of these kits, for bigger holes you can plug them quick and just put some more air in without taking off the tire.
    Amazon.com : Panaracer Tubeless Patch Kit : Bike Tubes : Sports & Outdoors

Most tubless tire's will seal up with a hand pump. For a low cost compressor, you can just get an air tank and fill it up at the gas station for use at home.
    Sears.com

Get a little presta to Schrader converter and you can just roll over to the gas station if your having problems seating one. If you have a good relationship with your LBS, they might let you borrow there compressor, that's what I do most of the time.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    1. Buy an air compressor (I have a 6 gallon electric version - works perfect, and $100 on Amazon). Not a high pressure tire inflator or large volume floor pump. Makes seating tires when replacing/swapping a snap. Make sure to get the attachment that works on presta valves.

2. Your mileage may vary on how much Stans to use. I use one cap (2 oz) per tire (27.5 2.35 Hans Dampf). I think you are supposed to re-lube once a year, but more often if you hear the Stans boogers rolling around in the tire.

3. I carry a tube or two and a hand pump. If it burps and unseats on the trail, pull out the valve stem, put in the tube, and be on your merry way. You could try to re-seat with a CO2 cartridge, but better to have bulletproof backup.

I am so happy to have switched to tubeless. I used to have to replace a tube about two times a year on the trail due to leaks around the valve. Six months of tubeless riding, at pressures down around 22-25 psi (and I'm flirting with Clydesdale territory) in rocky places like Annadel and thorny places like Peavine and absolutely zero issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I carry two tubes,never needed them both. Most of the problems I've was from burping tires or not keeping sealant in them.I've also worn out tires without having a flat ,just changed a front that was on the bike for over a year and half. How often depends on how you ride and the temps , I go 2 or three months. There is a thread in the 29er forum on making your own sealant ,it suppose to not dry up.How tires fit to the rim makes the difference on how easy there are to seal ,some times you need to build up the seating surface by adding a layer of tape.

mtbr member
    What bike are you buying squashyo?

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

Re: Going Tubeless - can I get some advice on best practices?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    What bike are you buying squashyo?
    That is the real question...

Sent by smoke signal.

JHH
    mtbr member
    What everybody said already. And..... Don't go too low on the tire pressure. Drop 5lbs from what you ride now and see how it rolls. Much of my early burps and issues with tubeless where by riding too little pressure for my riding style and weight.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    I'm betting on a uni.

VV Whoa! That's a handsome sled. You're gonna be fast on that Pimp Peak.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Fezzari - Timp Peak (fully loaded):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going Tubeless - can I get some advice on best practices?-tp.jpg  

mtbr member
    don't run lower pressure than you are right now

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Fezzari people at Sea Otter were very nice.

I'm +1 for carrying a boot/repair kit on tubeless setup. Ya never know. Park speed patches work in a pinch (pun) as well.

IMHO, FWIW, tubeless is a PITA and requires maintenance. Only maintaining I do is cleaning my drive train. The first "stans-all-over-the-place" flat you get way out in BFE will have you thinking.

Sick bike, bro. A little added traction just may change your life! brap.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

Type A
    A cheaper but just as good alternative to stans is truckerco cream. You can buy it in small batches or in bulk from them on eBay. By the way, I also recommend their brake pads as well.

Another trick to get the sealant to seal bigger holes is to add baby powder / glitter to the sealant. They provide a better binder/bridge for the sealant to span wider gaps.

Finally, when you do get a puncture and hear the hiss, don't stop pedaling. If you stop pedaling, the sealant won't coat the hole. Also, the sealant works best at low pressure, so you might have a tire go almost flat before it will seal. Once it's sealed, you can just reinflate.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Regular pressure, new dose of sealant once tire starts loosing some pressure overnight (every 2 month for me), no tube for short rides, for long ones friends are always carry one for their tubed setup

More important what tires you'll run. Ultra light casings give more troubles, true UST none at all, rest in between. I use conti trail kings Protection, they take couple of days to fully seal since sidewall mesh have some holes once stretched. Still worth it.
    Tubeless on 3 bikes for over 6 years.

Tubless Ready tires are easy to deal with. They have extra lip around bead so its a breeze to seat them, but no extra rubber USTs have, so no extra weight.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    Fezzari people at Sea Otter were very nice.

I'm +1 for carrying a boot/repair kit on tubeless setup. Ya never know. Park speed patches work in a pinch (pun) as well.

IMHO, FWIW, tubeless is a PITA and requires maintenance. Only maintaining I do is cleaning my drive train. The first "stans-all-over-the-place" flat you get way out in BFE will have you thinking.

yea the once a year 'stans everywhere' thing is much worse than the weekly pinch flats

swag ho Administrator
    How often do you get flats now Squashyo?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    How often do you get flats now Squashyo?

fc
    Sorta depends. Around here, not much...maybe 4 a year. DVille/Pinecrest...about 3 every 2 hours (exaggerator). I probably go through 10 tubes a year. Seem to come in waves too.

Mtn View, CA
    Get the Stan's injector for adding sealant. Easier than having to break a bead then worry about the bead not sealing. I think the best combo is a UST-certified rim with a tubeless ready tire and sealant.
    You may or may not need a compressor. My XT wheels with Racing Ralphs were no problem. Michelin Mud 2s on some old Mavic Reflex rims on my cross bike were a pain. I had to pull the valve out and use my compressor to get the tires to seat. Air leaked out too fast.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Best practice? Avoid it.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Snowjnky McDreamy
    1. remove all sealant
    2. buy the tires you please
    3. put tubes in
    4. inflate to desired pressure
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I like the glitter idea. I instantly thought of a birthday party or something if I flatted. "Bang! You have a flat.. Oh no, wait! It's actually a party!"

That was until I remembered 4 out of 5 strippers wear glitter as an accessory. That's all ll I need is misses twm questioning my solid alibi of "I was riding my bike, I swear!".
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member

Re: Going Tubeless - can I get some advice on best practices?

Glitter allegedly causes bead sealing issues. I've never tried it personally, so it could just be urban legend.

mtbr member
    If you're having problem with leakage thru the spoke holes with non UST rims throw out the crappy rim strip you're using and use gorilla tape instead. it comes in a 1" roll at home depot for like $3

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure why so many people are against tubeless. I've been on Tubeless for more than 2 years and have never had any issues. My bike is lighter, and I also keep the tires at lower pressure than I could with tubes. The tires don't lose much air (Hans Dampf in front and Maxxis Ardent in rear on WTBs - using Stans, bike is Santa Cruz Blur LTc). I have not had any flats. I used to have High Roller UST tires with similar results. I carry one tube with me on bigger rides just in case, but have not had to use it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For the record I never said that I personally was against tubeless. I was there back in '03. I saw it all go down. I saw tubeless and went plain loco when Mavic started it, Bontrager was doing it WTB was there. I was there. I was sold on it.

I'm the kind of rider that doesn't throw anything away, ever. And it's that tire on the rack that ran tubes only, nice and clean, half worn, ready to give to a neighborhood kid or friend. Next to it, a tubeless tire coated in ancient Stans that has discolored and I need to throw away.

Not to mention I got a free box of tubes at Sea Otter. Like 100 of them. So yeah. Im doing that for a while.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    Sorta depends. Around here, not much...maybe 4 a year. DVille/Pinecrest...about 3 every 2 hours (exaggerator). I probably go through 10 tubes a year. Seem to come in waves too.
    At 4 flats a year, it is hardly worth it. Changing 4 flats is way easier than sealing tubeless, adding sealant every few months and checking your air pressure every week. The hidden reality of tubeless is they leak air every day.

The #1 benefit of tubeless is they prevent flats. So if you get a couple a week, it's hella worth it. The other benefit is it's 200 grams lighter and you can run 2-4 psi less pressure and not pinch.

Some advice would be:

- Use Stans but also consider other options like Bontrager Sealant or Orange Seal. They all behave a little differently as far as evaporating/replenishing and sealing larger holes.
    - dunk the tire in the bath tub to detect all leaks
    - get a valve core remover for adding sealant and for sealing tires with an unrestricted flow of air.
    - get a compressor
    - use new stuff like Tubeless Ready rims and Tubeless Ready tires. This means the bead and rim size is close to perfect and there's a much higher success rate.
    Last edited by francois; 06-24-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    IPA will save America

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast