Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 145
  1. #1
    Bro
    Bro is online now
    Where I do my thinking
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,416

    Gary Fisher - Charlie Kelly - Klunkerz

    Anybody around here ever meet Gary? Ride with him? I know he was all up in Mt. Tam's grille; is he still living in NorCal?

    I recently achieved the Eagle rank in Boy Scouts, and I was just thinking how totally awesome it would be to invite Gary Fisher to my Court of Honor....



    And to all the naysayers: I think that you would realize how futile a forum search for Gary Fisher would be when I'm trying to find out about the dude himself.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

  2. #2
    Pirate!!!
    Reputation: Captain Cobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,069
    You are strange!! Gary lives in SF to my understanding, that's all I know.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    190
    He is on Facebook

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Katana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    905
    Lives in Marin, San Anselmo last I recall, he used to be my neighbor back in the day. I rode on a pickup type ride with him back in 1996. He is still a very fast rider I believe.

  5. #5
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,501
    I met Gary in 1971 on a bike ride, and fifteen minutes later we were in the Grateful Dead office in San Rafael, looking at cover art for his friend Marmaduke's album, called "New Riders of the Purple Sage."

    Gary and I were roommates for five years, first at 21 Humbolt in San Anselmo, then we moved up the street to #32. In 1979 we rented a garage and opened a little business we called "MountainBikes."
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,467
    The OP should invite Mr. Repack Rider instead of Mr. Fisher.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

  7. #7
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I met Gary in 1971 on a bike ride, and fifteen minutes later we were in the Grateful Dead office in San Rafael, looking at cover art for his friend Marmaduke's album, called "New Riders of the Purple Sage."

    Gary and I were roommates for five years, first at 21 Humbolt in San Anselmo, then we moved up the street to #32. In 1979 we rented a garage and opened a little business we called "MountainBikes."
    Man, understated post of the year!!!!!!

    Charlie Kelly aka Repack Rider is the ruler.

    fc

  8. #8
    YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Reputation: GoGoGordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Man, understated post of the year!!!!!!

    Charlie Kelly aka Repack Rider is the ruler.

    fc
    X1

    Kelly's way nicer than the Fish.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

  9. #9
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,681
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo
    X1

    Kelly's way nicer than the Fish.
    x1 is the same as the original amount. You either say x2 or +1.

    fc

  10. #10
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,576
    So Charlie, who was the better rider, you or Fisher?

    haha be honest!

  11. #11
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    So Charlie, who was the better rider, you or Fisher?
    I hammered him on the day we met, and the next time was about 35 years later when I nipped him in a computerized race at the Cow Palace. He's something like 3000-2 lifetime with me if you add up every ride we ever took.

    Gary was Cat I and a fixture in the NorCal top ten. I only raced one season on the road and never broke out of Cat IV. He started racing bikes when he was about 12, and I rode a ten-speed for the first time when I was 24 years old, about two years before we met.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

  12. #12
    It's the axle
    Reputation: Gregg K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,608
    Riding is riding. I don't place a hierarchy on who is whom. But I did ride with Gary down Repack back in the mid 80's. I also got an eagle scout. Tom Ritchey was in one of our patrols. That was back in the late 60's in Palo Alto Troop 16 (evolved into troop 206 in Atherton). I think he was in Cream patrol. They had milk bottles for patrol badges. That's "Cream" after the band with Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton. Those were the days. I'll always remember Tom's first hand built bike. That was probably 1971. A road bike.

    I miss the early days. Brazing sprockets onto sprockets to get that 1:1 ratio. And all of the open spaces that are now closed.

    Whatever happened to John Drumm?
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

  13. #13
    Pirate!!!
    Reputation: Captain Cobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,069
    charlie, are you still in contact with the Sons of Champlin? I saw them play this past summer at my friends winery..

  14. #14
    Bro
    Bro is online now
    Where I do my thinking
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I met Gary in 1971 on a bike ride, and fifteen minutes later we were in the Grateful Dead office in San Rafael, looking at cover art for his friend Marmaduke's album, called "New Riders of the Purple Sage."

    Gary and I were roommates for five years, first at 21 Humbolt in San Anselmo, then we moved up the street to #32. In 1979 we rented a garage and opened a little business we called "MountainBikes."
    So why does he get all the credit for the pioneering stuffs? You always hear about Gary Fisher and the klunkerz, not Gary Fisher with Charlie Kelly and the klunkerz.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    So why does he get all the credit for the pioneering stuffs? You always hear about Gary Fisher and the klunkerz, not Gary Fisher with Charlie Kelly and the klunkerz.
    Time to brush up on mountain biking history. Look up Tom Ritchey, Victor Vincente of America, Jacquie Phelan. Please come back tomorrow with a biographical report for the class.

  16. #16
    Bro
    Bro is online now
    Where I do my thinking
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,416
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65
    Time to brush up on mountain biking history. Look up Tom Ritchey, Victor Vincente of America, Jacquie Phelan. Please come back tomorrow with a biographical report for the class.
    I'll have to agree with that. I've never been one for too much background research; it tends to get me in trouble....

    I was just born in the wrong era. If all this was current events, I would be in-the-know. Time to jump in the DeLorean and go back 40 years....
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

  17. #17
    metrotuned WoS
    Reputation: metrotuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,730
    erik1245: you forgot to add Joe Breeze, at least according to this magazine cover:

    Source: Charlie Kelly's Mountain Bike Hubsite

    And an ode to Repack Rider's mention of the Grateful Dead, you can look up the "Long Strange Trip" video on GF.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

  18. #18
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,576
    lol joe breezes neighbor backed into my T2 bike rack at that multibrewery tasting + bike expo in fairfax a few months ago. Looked like he backed into it at like 40mph!

    He was very proud to talk about his rides with joe breeze when writing me a check for a new bike rack and asking me not to call insurance. Guess he owns a winery.

    Seems like everyone in fairfax/san anselmo has run ins with these mountain biker celebrities!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,027
    Oops! Add Joe Breeze to the list. There are lots more who should be in that list, I'm sure.

    We need a Mountain Bike Forefathers thread to educate everyone about the roots of this sport.

  20. #20
    Retro on Steroids
    Reputation: Repack Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb
    charlie, are you still in contact with the Sons of Champlin? I saw them play this past summer at my friends winery..
    My "other" claim to fame is that I am the "Cal Ripken" of rock band roadies.

    In the 42 years that I was the head roadie fore the Sons I missed a total of four shows. The first was when Bill Graham threw me out of the Fillmore in 1969, and then three more when we blew up the engine on the truck in Wells, Nevada in 1974. I had the engine rebuilt at a truck stop and then drove 1100 miles in 24 hours to catch up with the tour. I was never drunk, I was never in jail, I never had a drug problem and I never let the band down.

    I turned in my resignation this year, but they leaned on me for one more show, officially my last, in Santa Cruz in March.

    I rent rehearsal space for a couple for bands I play in from the Sons' drummer. The studio is about 50 feet from where the Sons (and Huey Lewis) practice, so I see the guys whenever they get together.

    Last year at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma after Bill Champlin introduced the band at the end of the show, he had me bring my guitar onstage and play the encore with them. Bill was kind enough to introduce me as "the heart and soul of The Sons." There are only two current members of the band who were there before me.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BTCMinfo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    100

    CK site

    You should check out CK's website, an excellent history of the MTB.

    http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm



    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65
    Oops! Add Joe Breeze to the list. There are lots more who should be in that list, I'm sure.

    We need a Mountain Bike Forefathers thread to educate everyone about the roots of this sport.
    Get Marin MTB advocacy info @ www.btcmarin.org

  22. #22
    Lone Wolf McQuade
    Reputation: beagledadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,423
    Gary Fisher and I at IB 2010, yeah, we're BFF's He's always been a rockstar in my book

    Matt

    Gary Fisher - Charlie Kelly - Klunkerz-fisher.jpg
    I should be out riding....

  23. #23
    pro leisure tour
    Reputation: sparkyJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by BTCMinfo
    You should check out CK's website, an excellent history of the MTB.
    http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm
    Good advise for anyone who wonders how this all got started. Pack a lunch though, you could be gone for hours.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

  24. #24
    Bro
    Bro is online now
    Where I do my thinking
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,416
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay
    Good advise for anyone who wonders how this all got started. Pack a lunch though, you could be gone for hours.
    I got plenty of time!
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

  25. #25
    Pirate!!!
    Reputation: Captain Cobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    My "other" claim to fame is that I am the "Cal Ripken" of rock band roadies.

    In the 42 years that I was the head roadie fore the Sons I missed a total of four shows. The first was when Bill Graham threw me out of the Fillmore in 1969, and then three more when we blew up the engine on the truck in Wells, Nevada in 1974. I had the engine rebuilt at a truck stop and then drove 1100 miles in 24 hours to catch up with the tour. I was never drunk, I was never in jail, I never had a drug problem and I never let the band down.

    I turned in my resignation this year, but they leaned on me for one more show, officially my last, in Santa Cruz in March.

    I rent rehearsal space for a couple for bands I play in from the Sons' drummer. The studio is about 50 feet from where the Sons (and Huey Lewis) practice, so I see the guys whenever they get together.

    Last year at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma after Bill Champlin introduced the band at the end of the show, he had me bring my guitar onstage and play the encore with them. Bill was kind enough to introduce me as "the heart and soul of The Sons." There are only two current members of the band who were there before me.
    . That is RAD man, I don't realy know them but I had fun hanging with them at my Buddys winery up in lake county. And then I helped the boys load the truck, what a fun group of guys.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •