Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Surly OG
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Good list.

Oooh - 737 SPDs!!!!!! I got me a pair of those too!
    Earn your turns. )'(

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerDan
    Oooh - 737 SPDs!!!!!! I got me a pair of those too!
    Heavy as hell but they work great!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    It can be a slippery slope once you make the cross over to owner.
    haha. i know all about that slope with vintage road racing bikes. i don't think i could fit another 10 bikes, mtbs at that in my shed!
    will you rep me?

PRETENDURO
    Wow, I was under the impression that everyone who rides mountain bikes here in California had seen the Klunkerz documentary. I guess that was just a lame assumption on my part! FOLKS!!!!!!! REQUIRED NETFLIX RENTAL (or just go and buy the DVD instead of being a cheapass!!!)
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterendo
    Thanks, MM. I appreciate it. There's three guys on Amazon today selling Klunkerz...one for $75, one for $49.99, and me. Craziness. Ya'll ready for Jerry Brown to come to your town?
    We're all hoping it's gonna be a positive change from the commute by jet Governator.
    ;-)
    Bought my copy of Klunkers many months ago from Amazon, in fact sent a couple emails back and forth to you (accidentally ordered two!). GREAT film, although I'm sure people will argue the accuracy for years to come. Although I was young (HS class of '80), it seemed accurate enough to me. What amazes me is the amount of original film footage there is... It's like they knew....
    And you had to bring up Moonbeam, huh? Well, he does seem a lot grumpier these days, so maybe he'll be slightly more realistic.
    Does he still have his Plymouth Valiant?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Wow, I was under the impression that everyone who rides mountain bikes here in California had seen the Klunkerz documentary. I guess that was just a lame assumption on my part! FOLKS!!!!!!! REQUIRED NETFLIX RENTAL (or just go and buy the DVD instead of being a cheapass!!!)
    Looking forward to it showing up. It was shipped same day
    :wq

Natural body armor
    Thanks, MM. I appreciate it. There's three guys on Amazon today selling Klunkerz...one for $75, one for $49.99, and me. Craziness. Ya'll ready for Jerry Brown to come to your town?
    We're all hoping it's gonna be a positive change from the commute by jet Governator.
    ;-)
    I have seen the movie and now I just ordered on amazon for $22.99 and I'll be ordering a couple more as gifts to friends.

I think we met at Interbike this year at the Illy espresso bar. I was wearing the mtbr t-shirt.
    You told me your story and I was stoked for the rest of the day: walked away without drinking my espresso... didn't need it.

Too bad you haven't been able to fully monetize your work, but you have done a great service to our sport. Thank you for that!

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly
    The Sinyard bashing seems a little harsh. He brought mountain biking to the masses. That is a good thing for the sport. He made it affordable. Not everybody could get their friends to weld them a new bike every few months.
    Required reading:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...48731#poststop

A phone call from Mike Sinyard & Mike McAndews

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...98#post2246298

My apologies, I'm not trying to turn this into a Sinyard bashing thread, but his reputation certainly deserved. Spesh won't be getting my money if I can help it.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Just purchased a copy of Klunkerz and am looking forward to seeing it, Thanks!

Quick Question... I see John Castelano up here (Santa Rosa) all the time. I know he's a legendary designer, but where/when does he factor into all this? Was he about the time of the Ibis folks, or what? Knowing John, I know he would fit right in as a bonafide "character". I'm just not too familiar with the timeline of history. I suspect he is well after the fact of the guys being discussed in this thread.

Just curious, is all.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62
    John Castelano
    Just curious, is all.
    I'm no expert on the history, I believe he invented the "Unified rear triangle" suspension. He is indeed a character, the one time I rode with him he grabbed his box of red rubber bands off a shelf in the garage and put one on his right leg jeans to keep it out of the drive train, then took off in a t-shirt and jeans and proceeded to kick our butts all over Annadale

Bought a dvd a couple days ago on Amazon as I never got around to seeing the flick, looking forward to it.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    For sure! I mentioned that to Ramekon. I think that was in a different terminal before it was an 'actual' museum. Now it's the real deal. To get accreditation I'm sure they have to have full security measures, guards, climate control, etc. Still, I imagine Mr. C won't be contributing any of his aluminum masterpieces this time around.
    I'm told that the bike was stolen around 15 years ago. The SFO museum is now accredited. There is security (it's inside airport), insurance, condition reports, and other "proper procedures" that museums must follow. I don't know if the cases that will be used will be climate controlled, but I believe that they monitor the temps and humidity of them. The square steel and glass cases that you see throughout the airport are probably worth more than the items inside. I'm told each case costs $250,000. Hopefully the displays won't be a "security area", cuz otherwise we will have to be groped by TSA.

I've already asked if I can ride any of the bikes through terminal on the conveyor belts. I'm told "no", but I'll keep asking.

Update: I'm told that the cases are climate controlled and alarmed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

John Castelano

I first met John in the early 90s on a group at Briones ,we rode on Wednesdays . Sometime around 93 he showed up with the prototype of the first sweetspot.Ibis was the first to build one for production.Schwinn,WTB,Rocky Mountain, Breezer,and Control Tech built URT bikes designed by John.Although he wasn't around for the first mountain bike development he was one of the first for rear suspension. Super cool to talk to,he makes good beer too.

Jul 2006
    I know John through another of his hobbies, but we have never sat down and chatted bikes. He's wicked smart and a helluva lot of fun. The last time I ran into him (almost literally) he was on his new Zorro, on North Burma. He was shirtless and wearing corduroy jeans with the aforementioned rubberband on his right leg to keep out of the sprocket. He's a trip! Super nice guy, but a trip.

mtbr member
    he was on his new Zorro

Like a boss.
    WhatisthatIdon'teven.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    That's the one! ...set up as a 69er.

mtbr member
    Well Billy

I have to say I'm pissed that it took two whole days to get my copy after I put in my order, you really need to work on your customer satisfaction skills

But seriously what I'm really pissed about is that I've never watched the movie until now, I really really enjoyed it. What stood out to me is how much these guys seemed to really enjoy talking about what went down and they all seem to be big kids at heart still in love with there bikes. I just want to go out and have a beer with these guys in particularly I enjoyed the Joe Breeze interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    What amazes me is the amount of original film footage there is... It's like they knew....
    Not sure if you found the segment on this in the extra features. Without being a spoiler, it's definitely worth the watch on how the guy was tracked down who filmed this super 8 footage, and how he did it was just pure gold.
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 01-07-2011 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426
    WhatisthatIdon'teven.
    This bike can be set up in a number of configurations depending on the shocks and tire combo's you put on it. 4 to 6 inch's of travel, 26er, 29er, 69er. Single speed or geared. If you ever see how nimble John is on this bike, it just makes you want to go out and buy one. Perfect bike for the single speeder that whats some suspension.

mtbr member
    My Klunkerz disc arrived yesterday. I borrowed one from a friend a while back, so not sure when I will watch it. Its good to have one for the collection though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    My Klunkerz disc arrived yesterday. I borrowed one from a friend a while back, so not sure when I will watch it. Its good to have one for the collection though.
    Got mine last night too Wife was working late so I watched it as soon as I opened the mail

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    That's hilarious. With rat-traps too. Haven't used those in years. Is that a single-speed?

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy
    That's hilarious. With rat-traps too. Haven't used those in years. Is that a single-speed?
    That's Castellano's personal bike. He keeps trying to make me ride it.

fc

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy
    A few of us had the pleasure of chasing him down Oat Hill Mine. He showed us all the fun lines, too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher - Charlie Kelly - Klunkerz-img_3325.jpg  

Medium?
    I know John through another of his hobbies, but we have never sat down and chatted bikes. He's wicked smart and a helluva lot of fun. The last time I ran into him (almost literally) he was on his new Zorro, on North Burma. He was shirtless and wearing corduroy jeans with the aforementioned rubberband on his right leg to keep out of the sprocket. He's a trip! Super nice guy, but a trip.
    John is a regular at Boggs for May by the Bay. He's happy to talk bikes and let you ride that one or a Silk Ti his SO is usually riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    John is a regular at Boggs for May by the Bay. He's happy to talk bikes and let you ride that one or a Silk Ti his SO is usually riding.
    He usually shows at Rockville too.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast