Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Retro on Steroids
    Klunkerz been very very good to me.

It was tougher on Billy, and if there is any consolation for the money it continues to cost him, it is that he has made the definitive statement that cannot be topped and will stand for all time. No one else will ever bring that much passion to the project.

Wander on over to his website, linked in this post, and click on the little button to the right of the poster so you can show the man some love.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Awesome how such an uninteresting question turns into an amazing thread. Great to see the OG's are still out there on their bikes and on the forums too.
    I just feel bad now that I saw Klunkerz via Netflix. They probably don't pay more than 0.2 cents for that.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ak77
    Awesome how such an uninteresting question turns into an amazing thread. Great to see the OG's are still out there on their bikes and on the forums too.
    I just feel bad now that I saw Klunkerz via Netflix. They probably don't pay more than 0.2 cents for that.
    I changed the title to reflect the enlightened state.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Best thread of the year so far.
    Awesome movie Mr. Savage!!
    Banned for showing Boobies.

Surly OG
    I Really wish I could find my original BMXA magazine from 1981 that has a story about the "new thing" Mtn Bikes; it had MountainBikes, Breezers, and I believe one other, a Klunker I believe may have been a Ritchey. I was a BMX racer and ten speed in the dirt riding angst filled aggro kid growing up in North Valley San Jose. I knew then I had to have one and that summer I purchased with lawnmowing, allowance and begging mom money a shiny 1982 model Stumpjumper sport mtn bike. I also have a Specialized Fat Tire Flyer shirt.

At the time Specialized bicycles was located in the trade zone on N. 13th St. in San Jose.

I, being a non driving kid rode my bike all over the San Jose Bay Area, Castle Rock, Big Basin, Santa Teresa, Alum Rock park and any bit of dirt path I could find.

Marinites were far and away and to boot, not having an "in", I seriously doubt they would have been keen to cotton up to an aggro 14y.o. half breed kid from the south bay anyway. So I just kept pedaling, I took my Stumpy overseas with me when I enlisted in the Air Force in 1984. The only Mtn Bike on base until the Peugeot Alpina Sport showed up.

I remember how WTB the brain child of Charlie C. pioneered the coveted RollerCam brakes, Grease Guard hubs and GG BB's.

I remember chronically brinnelled 1" head sets 2-3 new headsets a year in the days before the 1-1/18 change!

Bontrager Switchblade forks were the best.

The original IBIS was bling cachet like the 2nd iteration are now - Steel Mojo's, the Silk Ti, the Bow Tie, the URT Szazbo

Fat Chance Bicycles -

The first Retrotecs-

Bontragers too - the OR, the Race, the Race Lite

Slingshot bikes - which in the early 90's were a hot ticket for the ride quality compared to full rigid bikes.

Suspension used to be the fattest tire you could stuff between the fork legs.

Tange Shockblades
    AMP Horst Forks
    Manitou Elastomer forks
    Girvin flex stems
    Allsop Soft ride "suspend the rider" "not the bike" Stems and CF Beams

Bullmoose handlebars and Stumpjumper tires, Hite Rites, and Mathauser Finned brake pads. I have all these items in crates, aside from the tires and brake pads, those got used up and binned.

My Stumpy sport,
    My 1990 Trek 950
    My 1993 Cannondale Delta V700
    These listed wheels are in collection.

Race shirts from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Sizzler Classic, the First Quicksilver Mtn Bike race, the 1990 Dirt for Dimes race on private property adjacent to Calaveras rd. The Trees and Breeze on the Big Creek property. I never raced in the Rumpstomper, Rockhopper or the Repack, though I coveted to race in them.

Gee someone in the Bike industry have a job for me?!

There's a bit of my Mtn Bike Salt.

Dan Abernethy -
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was reported on Dec. 18th that a Netflix executive, Ted Sarandoz, bought a 5.5 million dollar house in Beverly Hills . He's the 11th highest paid person at Netflix. Kinda makes you want to work over there. .02 per spin is probably a little high. I was told Netflix bought something like 10 copies at at reduced rate, probably around $6.00 per copy, I got 60% of that, so around 36.00. Currently Klunkez has been rated 2055 times on Netflix, so each disc has been rented at least 200+ times, so I was actually paid slightly less than .02 per rental. If I got .02 per rental, I would have been paid $41.00 for the discs. That's only based on people who rated the film. Who knows how many people actually saw the film and didn't rate it? Interesting, no? If anyone remembers when they got the disc from Netflix if the disc had artwork printed on it or if it was just a blank disc, I would appreciate it. I didn't sign a deal that allowed them to replicate the disc, which they do with other films. All my inquiries to Netflix have gone unanswered, but they are busy. 20% of peak internet traffic, if the reports are correct. That's pretty amazing. Even if I knew something was up, which I doubt, I couldn't afford to have lawyers get into it, and even it they did, they're a 10+ billion dollar company now. I would just throw away more money on legal fees. This is the stuff they don't teach you in film school. They are getting thousands to folks know the story of Gary, CK and the rest, so that's cool. Ahhh...what a business.
    Last edited by scooterendo; 01-04-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: need to correct the facts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My copy had artwork on it I believe, but I'm not sure since I payed more attention to the film than to the disc.
    Forty bucks for 2000 viewers is pretty poor I admit, but if it's any consolation to you I used to illegally download movies pretty often before I had Netflix. I completely stopped doing that. I'm surprised they pay you a fixed amount no matter how many views they get. Or is that just a matter of having better lawyers when you make the deal?

I loved the movie, and I even learned a thing or two from it. Thanks for creating it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ak77
    Or is that just a matter of having better lawyers when you make the deal?
    Bingo. Things are different for movie makers in the MAFIAA.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikerDan
    I Really wish I could find my original BMXA magazine from 1981 that has a story about the "new thing" Mtn Bikes; it had MountainBikes, Breezers, and I believe one other, a Klunker I believe may have been a Ritchey.
    I have it and scanned it for MTBR member Laffeaux's site called Old Mountain Bikes.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good to know. Netflix seems like an amazing company. I wish I had stock. No doubt I made a bad deal and could have had a better lawyer back then. Legal is now about 25% of the budget. Hadn't planned on that one. But hey, as ever eloquent Repack Rider says, "it was the adventure of a lifetime." I met so many amazing people, and not just those legendary guys. Many of the coolest hang out on this very board. I got to get the story out to a bunch of people who had no idea, had some great rides, and made some good friends along the way. Even played a little guitar with Repack Rider. You can't put a price on that kind of fun.

Snowjnky McDreamy

I remember how WTB the brain child of Charlie C. and Steve P. pioneered the coveted RollerCam brakes, Grease Guard hubs and GG BB's.
    fixed
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky
    fixed

The roller cam was definitely all Charlie, but the grease guard concept, I'm not sure... coulda been SP, coulda been CC, or could have been both. I'd guess Charlie since he was the mad tinkerer and SP the craftsman.

mtbr member
    Just bought Klunkerz on Amazon. I started looking for it last week and there were none, then there were two for $50 and now the seller offer for $22. Purchased. Can't wait to see it.
    :wq

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    The roller cam was definitely all Charlie, but the grease guard concept, I'm not sure... coulda been SP, coulda been CC, or could have been both. I'd guess Charlie since he was the mad tinkerer and SP the craftsman.
    yes these two made some great stuff.
    I read it as:
    "I remember how WTB, the brain child of Charlie C, pioneered the coveted RollerCam brakes, Grease Guard hubs and GG BB's."

I was just wanted to add another Legend name to this incredible thread and feel like I know something about the history of MTB
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, MM. I appreciate it. There's three guys on Amazon today selling Klunkerz...one for $75, one for $49.99, and me. Craziness. Ya'll ready for Jerry Brown to come to your town?
    We're all hoping it's gonna be a positive change from the commute by jet Governator.
    ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterendo
    Thanks, MM. I appreciate it. There's three guys on Amazon today selling Klunkerz...one for $75, one for $49.99, and me. Craziness. Ya'll ready for Jerry Brown to come to your town?
    We're all hoping it's gonna be a positive change from the commute by jet Governator.
    ;-)
    Hopefully he's as serious as he says about cutting spending and not increasing taxes without voter approval
    :wq

VRC Illuminati
    I Really wish I could find my original BMXA magazine from 1981 that has a story about the "new thing" Mtn Bikes; it had MountainBikes, Breezers, and I believe one other, a Klunker I believe may have been a Ritchey. I was a BMX racer and ten speed in the dirt riding angst filled aggro kid growing up in North Valley San Jose. I knew then I had to have one and that summer I purchased with lawnmowing, allowance and begging mom money a shiny 1982 model Stumpjumper sport mtn bike. I also have a Specialized Fat Tire Flyer shirt.

At the time Specialized bicycles was located in the trade zone on N. 13th St. in San Jose.

I, being a non driving kid rode my bike all over the San Jose Bay Area, Castle Rock, Big Basin, Santa Teresa, Alum Rock park and any bit of dirt path I could find.

Marinites were far and away and to boot, not having an "in", I seriously doubt they would have been keen to cotton up to an aggro 14y.o. half breed kid from the south bay anyway. So I just kept pedaling, I took my Stumpy overseas with me when I enlisted in the Air Force in 1984. The only Mtn Bike on base until the Peugeot Alpina Sport showed up.

I remember how WTB the brain child of Charlie C. pioneered the coveted RollerCam brakes, Grease Guard hubs and GG BB's.

I remember chronically brinnelled 1" head sets 2-3 new headsets a year in the days before the 1-1/18 change!

Bontrager Switchblade forks were the best.

The original IBIS was bling cachet like the 2nd iteration are now - Steel Mojo's, the Silk Ti, the Bow Tie, the URT Szazbo

Fat Chance Bicycles -

The first Retrotecs-

Bontragers too - the OR, the Race, the Race Lite

Slingshot bikes - which in the early 90's were a hot ticket for the ride quality compared to full rigid bikes.

Suspension used to be the fattest tire you could stuff between the fork legs.

Tange Shockblades
    AMP Horst Forks
    Manitou Elastomer forks
    Girvin flex stems
    Allsop Soft ride "suspend the rider" "not the bike" Stems and CF Beams

Bullmoose handlebars and Stumpjumper tires, Hite Rites, and Mathauser Finned brake pads. I have all these items in crates, aside from the tires and brake pads, those got used up and binned.

My Stumpy sport,
    My 1990 Trek 950
    My 1993 Cannondale Delta V700
    These listed wheels are in collection.

Race shirts from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Sizzler Classic, the First Quicksilver Mtn Bike race, the 1990 Dirt for Dimes race on private property adjacent to Calaveras rd. The Trees and Breeze on the Big Creek property. I never raced in the Rumpstomper, Rockhopper or the Repack, though I coveted to race in them.

Gee someone in the Bike industry have a job for me?!

There's a bit of my Mtn Bike Salt.

Dan Abernethy -
    Good list.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Good list.
    A list only Rumpfy could love.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    A list only Rumpfy could love.

Whats wrong with Trek 950's and Flex stems!?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Sinyard bashing seems a little harsh. He brought mountain biking to the masses. That is a good thing for the sport. He made it affordable. Not everybody could get their friends to weld them a new bike every few months.

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterendo
    It was reported on Dec. 18th that a Netflix executive, Ted Sarandoz, bought a 5.5 million dollar house in Beverly Hills . He's the 11th highest paid person at Netflix. Kinda makes you want to work over there. .02 per spin is probably a little high. I was told Netflix bought something like 10 copies at at reduced rate, probably around $6.00 per copy, I got 60% of that, so around 36.00. Currently Klunkez has been rated 2055 times on Netflix, so each disc has been rented at least 200+ times, so I was actually paid slightly less than .02 per rental. If I got .02 per rental, I would have been paid $41.00 for the discs. That's only based on people who rated the film. Who knows how many people actually saw the film and didn't rate it? Interesting, no? If anyone remembers when they got the disc from Netflix if the disc had artwork printed on it or if it was just a blank disc, I would appreciate it. I didn't sign a deal that allowed them to replicate the disc, which they do with other films. All my inquiries to Netflix have gone unanswered, but they are busy. 20% of peak internet traffic, if the reports are correct. That's pretty amazing. Even if I knew something was up, which I doubt, I couldn't afford to have lawyers get into it, and even it they did, they're a 10+ billion dollar company now. I would just throw away more money on legal fees. This is the stuff they don't teach you in film school. They are getting thousands to folks know the story of Gary, CK and the rest, so that's cool. Ahhh...what a business.
    A buddy of mine worked at netflix, and told me some crazy statistic like they don't expect any disc to make it past 5 rentals before it needs to be replaced. I COULD be wrong because the only time I'm ever hanging out with him anymore is when we drink A LOT of beer, but if that number is anywhere close to correct then it sounds like you're getting hosed.

don't try this at home
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo
    Best thread of the year so far.
    Awesome movie Mr. Savage!!
    posting in a legendary thread.

i'm guessing it's gonna be one of the best threads for the rest of the year.

i haven't seen the movie, but will soon.

makes me wish i had a vintage mtb. drooled over the cunninghams, ritcheys, ibises, salsas, then as i do now.

glad i started riding in '85, and did race the rumpstomper and rockhopper back-in-the-day.

gonna go reminisce and look at old norba news issues, 1st issue of mountainbike action, and the pt. reyes bikes catalogue now.
    will you rep me?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    makes me wish i had a vintage mtb. drooled over the cunninghams, ritcheys, ibises, salsas, then as i do now.

It can be a slippery slope once you make the cross over to owner.
    -eric-

Surly OG
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I have it and scanned it for MTBR member Laffeaux's site called Old Mountain Bikes.
    Sweet As!!!!! Wow, that long term data storage of mine still has a bit of it's integrity!

Thanks for the link!

I was going to mention the "Champion" truss on the main triangle, but figured only BMXers from that era would know what I was talking about.
    Earn your turns. )'(

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast