Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Flyin Canine
    Wow, cool thread. Thanks for jumping in Charlie.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    x1 is the same as the original amount. You either say x2 or +1.

fc
    Stupid New comp-u-tar.
    Thanks dad
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

mtbr member
    I rode with Charlie and Joe at the Biketoberfest "legends of Mountain biking" ride and had a blast. They can both still ride hard. Charlie was fun and Joe was the historian telling us about the history of the area. Doing repack with Joe was a highlight.

mtbr member
    Gary is a pretty cool guy, see him all the time in marin. Drops by the shop once in a while to say hi!

swag ho Administrator
    Here you go. We had a beer this summer in the mountains.

Photo by Geoff Waugh

fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher - Charlie Kelly - Klunkerz-g_waugh_trek2011_240.jpg  

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Doesn't Charlie still own the original timer from Repak that has the bottle cap on the reset button? Great recent pics of Gary Fisher. I saw Gary Fisher at the Klunkerz premiere with Jackie Phelan a couple years back, they both seemed like really cool people. We're blessed to have guys like Charlie on this forum and all those other legends locally for the occasional sighting (and ride!).

Retro on Steroids
    If we're throwing names around, let's not leave Wende Cragg out. She doesn't go looking for publicity like the rest of us, but she was an integral part of the "Repack" crowd, and Bill Savage would have had a hard time making "Klunkerz" without her photos.

Here we are after doing a radio show last year at KQED in San Francisco.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher - Charlie Kelly - Klunkerz-kqed4.jpg  

It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    I'm sure you're innocent, but we need to know why you were thrown out of The Fillmore.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Tom Ritchey is also local.
    just an idea
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65
    Time to brush up on mountain biking history. Look up Tom Ritchey, Victor Vincente of America, Jacquie Phelan. Please come back tomorrow with a biographical report for the class.
    +1. Fisher gets too much solo credit for MTBing. He wasn't the only one on knobby tires back in the day.

I would also include Joe Breeze and Charlie Cunningham too (Charlie Kelly already spoke up ). Ahh, so many to include. And Jacquie is way cool. She still rides on drop bars.

Take a look at the MTB Hall of Fame and their inductees. That will give you a lot of background.

More on Repack from Charlie Kelly's page: http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/repack.htm

Google and you will find lots of background on MTBing history
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    If we're throwing names around, let's not leave Wende Cragg out. She doesn't go looking for publicity like the rest of us, but she was an integral part of the "Repack" crowd, and Bill Savage would have had a hard time making "Klunkerz" without her photos.

Here we are after doing a radio show last year at KQED in San Francisco.

Seekay, would you say Klunkerz is an accurate depiction of how it all began?

It really opened my eyes into the hidden beginnings of our sport.

fc

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    +1. Fisher gets too much solo credit for MTBing. He wasn't the only one on knobby tires back in the day.
    I gotta second that. I honestly thought that GF just took a bunch of old cruisers, messed up the frames a bit, and that was a mountain bike. I know, oversimplified a bit, but that's mostly what I originally thought.

And then I'm reading through this thread, and, "holy crap I'm talking to Charlie Kelly!" (Still not done reading through his entire website though.)

But now I see that mtbing was something that evolved through almost a decade, and involved a bunch of kids with some engineering smarts and some faith in themselves. I know I wouldn't be willing to trust something that I made myself, flying down the side of a mountain.

I guess GF gets a lot of solo credit because he's got a good-sized bike company, and each of his bikes has his name on it. And that's as far as most people research into it.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Doesn't bontrager also live in Santa Cruz? Not that he is as old (legendary) but still a name in the sport. Charlie, Gary and Joe really had an idea back then and without them we have no idea when MTB would have taken off. Ii think it is really cool that Charlie is on this forum and talks about it. I would love to hear him talk over beers about the good old days.
    They never made the "Slowster"

It's about showing up.

Good point, Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes

D
    But ya gotta say Gary has made it stick!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I forgot Cunningham!

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall
    Doesn't bontrager also live in Santa Cruz?
    I know Keith Bontrager was in Santa Cruz. Probably still around, just staying under the radar. I really wanted one of his frames back around 1990. So simple, clean and elegant. Actually, I would still love to have one. The only vintage steel I have is a ~1985 Fisher Montare in "used" condition. I used up my 1988 Fisher CR-7 years ago and got a Trek-owned Gary Fisher Mt. Tam replacement. I kinda wish I had held onto the old CR-7.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by J
    I'm sure you're innocent, but we need to know why you were thrown out of The Fillmore.
    The roadie for the third billed band did not get to tell Bill Graham where to get off in his own place.

I saw Mr. Graham many times afterward because that was hardly the last Fillmore show I worked on. He always made a point of coming over and shaking my hand, even though I'll bet he didn't know my name.
    shui.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Seekay, would you say Klunkerz is an accurate depiction of how it all began?

It really opened my eyes into the hidden beginnings of our sport.

fc
    I would have told the story a little differently but Billy did pretty well. Some of the people included were there because they became prominent later, but were not really influential on the earliest developments.

Charlie Cunningham did not participate in any of our activities in the '70s, did not race at Repack, and rode skinny tires on trails until light rims and tires became available around 1981. He ridiculed our use of incredibly heavy wheels and tires, but he wasn't testing his bikes on Repack either. Jacquie arrived in Marin in the fall of 1981, by which time things were well down the road.

I felt that some of the interviews were a little "revisionist" and that there was some after the fact polishing, but that is to be expected.

In the film Mike Sinyard took great pains to point out the SINGLE difference between the gruppo of the Stumpjumper and the gruppo on the four bikes he bought from us, which was Tomaselli brake levers instead of Magura. Gary and I had already snatched the Magura OEM distribution for NorCal, so he would have had to buy them from us.
    shui.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I didn't want to mention Sinyard. He was instrumental in ripping off others' ideas and bringing big business to mountain biking...and then going after anybody who hinted at "borrowing" from the big S.

I try not to don that logo.

Pirate!!!
    This http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R906241000, is rad!! Play the mp3..
    Last edited by Captain Cobb; 12-30-2010 at 09:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Rumor has it that in 2012 there will be a mountain biking display at the SFO Airport Museum (the only accredited airport museum in the US). Don't know much more than that, but I'm sure that the museum would be interested in any historic MTB related items. If any one has any items that they might want to loan the museum, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can put you in contact with someone from the museum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    To the Threadparent: I'd invite Charlie Kelly too. Never met him, but his posts here and website imply a pretty interesting guy. Don't know GF either (got close at a bike event in MPLS about 20 years ago) but "rock stars" generally are very tough to get ahold of.

Side note: when I was a kid a lot of us rode our old cruisers out in the woods; they worked a whole lot better than skinny tired bikes. I remember an older guy that was pretty hard-core about it, having adapted 10-speed components to an old cruiser giving him a bike that would really climb hills, but his main goal was getting out in the woods to pick mushrooms and berries...but I think he enjoyed the rides, too.

Where GF, CK, and some of these others diverged (IMO) from all of us that took our fenders off and rode in the woods was more of the "human" aspect. Repack fire road was an important component to be sure, as was the "Mountainbike" company, Wende's photos and all the other parts of the story, but at the bottom, I think, its really about all the people in the story.

Thanks, Charlie, GF, and all the others involved along the way for making riding in the woods and hills acceptable sport, rather than the province of kooks like my old friend that picked berries and mushrooms, or a bunch of wild dumb-asz teenagers like I was back in the day.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Heres me an Gar' taken a pix with his new Iphone.
    Classic.
    I see him all the time around these parts.
    He was also leading a pack of 50-60 somthings up the last hill before Repack on the Appitite seminar.
    I was going down the hill, he was coming up, and I just about took him out.
    That would not have been good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Fisher - Charlie Kelly - Klunkerz-dsc00590-medium-.jpg  

Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65
    Time to brush up on mountain biking history. Look up Tom Ritchey, Victor Vincente of America, Jacquie Phelan. Please come back tomorrow with a biographical report for the class.
    Yup. Anyone who rides a mountain bike and lives in the bay area should do so.

There are a whole lot of guys that have been left out of this discussion that deserve note, but I won't nit pick.

CK has been a fantastic historian and patriarch of records as well.

Having had the opportunity to ride and hang out with several historical types (on several occasions) is easily an MTB highlight for me.
    We're lucky to live where we do and these guys responsible for our passion are all so down to earth and inviting...shame not to acknowledge or know who they are.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The sport of mountain biking was born of more than an arbitrary dateline. I don't find that fair at all.

Repack, you would have told the story a little differently? You should tell it here! Have you mentioned it before? I need to pay more attention!

Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I would have told the story a little differently but Billy did pretty well. Some of the people included were there because they became prominent later, but were not really influential on the earliest developments.

Charlie Cunningham did not participate in any of our activities in the '70s, did not race at Repack, and rode skinny tires on trails until light rims and tires became available around 1981. He ridiculed our use of incredibly heavy wheels and tires, but he wasn't testing his bikes on Repack either. Jacquie arrived in Marin in the fall of 1981, by which time things were well down the road.

I felt that some of the interviews were a little "revisionist" and that there was some after the fact polishing, but that is to be expected.

In the film Mike Sinyard took great pains to point out the SINGLE difference between the gruppo of the Stumpjumper and the gruppo on the four bikes he bought from us, which was Tomaselli brake levers instead of Magura. Gary and I had already snatched the Magura OEM distribution for NorCal, so he would have had to buy them from us.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyButterfly
    Repack, you would have told the story a little differently? You should tell it here! Have you mentioned it before? I need to pay more attention!
    There is a lot of stuff on my website, but it does not tell the story in a linear fashion. It's not like I haven't been working on a book about that amazing adventure, but I haven't found anyone to publish it yet.

If you care to look at the draft I send around to publishers, which covers my bike history right up until Gary and I opened the little shop, it's online as a .pdf. There's another ten years of fun that isn't on there, including the rise and fall of our shop, NORBA, the Fat Tire Flyer magazine, etc. Ignore the uncorrected typos.

If I ever get it into print, of course I would include lots of graphics of the sort you see on my website, Repack posters, MountanBikes advertising, the Fat Tire Flyer, Wende's photos and so on.
    shui.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast