Ted
    Ted in real life

Free Fort Ord GPS Map (Includes Henry Coe)

I have now completed the first rev of a map of Fort Ord. Once again, I used satellite images to map the roads and trails and then verified them with some GPX files posted in Garmin Connect. Roads are yellow and trails are green. This map also includes my previous Henry Coe map. Two for the price of one!

If you want to install it in Mapsource/Basecamp you need to download MapsetToolkit which is free online. Then follow the directions at:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...mapsettoolkit/

and use the section on loading a map with a tdb file. It is easy. Just put all of the files in one directory and point to the GPX2IMG.img file for the section where you are asked for the Overview map. The map name is Ted's Maps. If you previously installed my Henry Coe map, that will need to be uninstalled before installing this new map. Uninstalling is easy with Mapsettoolkit.

If either map needs changes, corrections, enhancements, etc. just let me know.

For screenshots please check out my previous post for a "Free Henry Coe GPS Map".

Edit: Rev2 is now attached. This rev incorporates some changes requested by Larry below.

Ted
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ted; 05-07-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Slowest Rider
    Hey, you did it!
    Having a Ft. Ord map overlay with the trail numbers to put on the GPS for Ft. Ord is really sweet.

I was able to check it out now, before going on travel.

I like it a lot. Look like a LOT of work. But it's very nice to have. It will help in planning and navigating Ft. Ord.

A couple things I'd suggest would make it more useful.
    1. You label the trails as "FO Trail 32". A simpler label such as "FO 32" may eliminate some of the clutter with all the trails around at Ft. Ord.
    2. If I hover the mouse over a road, I see a pop up with the name of the road, such as "Oil Well", "Jacks", or "Merrill". But if I hover the mouse over a green trail, I just get a pop up "Invalid Depth". The pop up is very nice as there's lots of trails and numbers, and it's hard to find the right label sometimes, especially if the trail is covered by a lot of my tracks.
    3. The trails around 8th and Giggling have numbers like 59, 67, 18,... but your labels are two letters, like KU, AH, FV. What's up with that?
    Last edited by BigLarry; 04-30-2011 at 11:37 PM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Ted
    Ted in real life
    Larry,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. I will do this for a Rev 2.
    2. I am not sure where the depth references are coming from. I have seen that as well. I will investigate and hopefully correct it. I don't think it affects functionality of the map.
    3. The Fort Ord trail names in the BLM 2011 map are numbers. Where there is an unnamed trail I did not want to assign it a number so I used letters. Suggestions?

When viewing the sattelite images it is hard to tell a track from a streambed. When riding out there if you find a stream labelled as a trail or a trail that is not on the map please let me know. Also, overlay your tracks on the map and let me know if you see a place where I have missed a trail.

Ted

Ted
    Ted in real life
    The attached zip file (see above) is now Rev2. It incorporates the changes requested by Larry.

Ted

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted
    The attached zip file (see above) is now Rev2. It incorporates the changes requested by Larry.

Ted
    Looks good.

The trail names are now shorter. I can now see the name of a trial by hovering over it. Those were nicely fixed.

Many trails still have your default double letters instead of the proper Ft. Ord trail number. I'll see if I can help on some translations for you, although some may indeed not be numbered on the Ft. Ord map. It's not easy to identify trails because there's so many that are easy to confuse. It's the same reason your map is so valuable in sorting out all the number clutter there. But as we get some trail names done, the remainder may go easier to fill in.

Maybe this map will encourage you and others to ride Ft. Ord as well?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Ted
    Ted in real life
    Thanks Larry.

I used the BLM 2011 map to assign names to the trails. They use numbers as you know. I labelled unnamed trails with letters to show that they are not named on the BLM map. If they actually have names just let me know.

Ted

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ted - I tried to send you a message but this board would not let me do that so I have to post the message here, even though this thead is very old and even though the message is of interest only to you.

I am primarily a hiker but recently started doing some biking (since a lingering foot problem now limits my hiking) and since I'm near Ft Ord decided to ride there. I found your Garmin map and am using that. Nice to have it in my GPS as I explore the trails! Thanks for doing that. I've done some Garmin map creation myself so am familiar with much of what is going on and wanted to pass on the following thoughts.

() On the BLM Ft Ord map there are two different types of roads, paved and dirt, which your map lumps together. I find the riding to be much different on the two and think the map would be improved by having a separate line type for each.

() Why not send your map to gpsfiledepot for inclusion there ?

() FYI when I used MapsetToolkit to install the files into my MapSource that failed with a "Family Id already installed" error message. Looking at my registry entries, I found a previous installation of GPX2IMG (which I had done when working on my own Garmin map) which had that Family ID. I've moved on from that so no longer needed it and could delete it, after which the installation of your map worked. But I'd recommend that you change to a different Family ID since that one seems to be the default in GPX2IMG so someone who already had a map created by GPX2IMG would not be able to use your map without erasing the existing map (which they very well might not want to do).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I recently purchased a Garmin 200 and am not too techy. Is this GPS map something I can use with my 200 and if so, how? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post
    I recently purchased a Garmin 200 and am not too techy. Is this GPS map something I can use with my 200 and if so, how? Thanks.
    That Garmin does not do anything with mapping. It just tracks where you've been.

You'll need the 800 to use the maps, but it's $450 or so.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.