Thread: Fort Ord Recon?

mtbr member

Fort Ord Recon?

Headed to Seaside on Friday (10/12) and want to ride Fort Ord for the first time after I finish up my scheduled stuff in the morning.

Anyone want to throw out some recommended rides/loops/can't be missed?

I plotted out: Oil Well > Jacks (add 36?) > 3 Sisters > 42 (or 43) > Skyline > 44 > 41 = about 10 miles?

Seems like the 41-43, 49, 50 trails are popular...though I'd appreciate any insight into some good loops through these.

How do the Toro Park trails compare?

Which is better parking access, Old Reservation Road (North) or Ollason Rd (South)?

I should be ready to ride about 11:30 if anyone wants a co-pilot, send me a PM.

Cheers

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Park on Gigling and take Watkins Gate to shoot off into any of the trails. You’ll be occupied for hours- enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Cayenne - ? .... I'm headed for the southeast side off the Monterey/Salinas Hwy, Gigling's on the northwest?

Always tricky to sort the distance on Trailforks on full-screen mode! Looks like its only about 6km or so to the southeast trails away.

mtbr member
    I like toro park a lot better. You get longer, faster, more DH oriented descents. Can use Trailforks there. Pipeline is the classic.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    Cayenne - ? .... I'm headed for the southeast side off the Monterey/Salinas Hwy, Gigling's on the northwest?

Always tricky to sort the distance on Trailforks on full-screen mode! Looks like its only about 6km or so to the southeast trails away.
    Wooops, my bad. Gotta do Trail 49!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I like toro park a lot better. You get longer, faster, more DH oriented descents. Can use Trailforks there. Pipeline is the classic.

Oops - meant for the OP

Hella Olde
    Pipeline in Toro is much more fun if you're into the gravity side of riding. You can put together a nice little Fort ord loop with the trails you mentioned, however, but I'd park at Creekside lot off Reservation road near Hiway 68 - so, yes the southeast corner of the park. You can catch Res Road just north of Seaside

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I think Creekside is the call. Pipeline is a'ight--and there's more there--but it's a lot of fireroad climbing and it's way more fun when it's tacky. Ord is also way better with some moisture in the soil, but at least you'll get a lot more s/t. Go back after it rains and with the wildflowers are out to really appreciate it.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 1 Week Ago at 04:44 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Stay clear of the Giggling side...to many closed trails.
    08 Trance X2

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ I think Creekside is the call. Pipeline is a'ight--and there's more there--but it's a lot of fireroad climbing and it's way more fun when it's tacky. Ord is also way better with some moisture in the soil, but at least you'll get a lot more s/t. Go back after it rains and with the wildflowers are out to really appreciate it.

Yep and it's usually greenest right before the Sea Otter. I never knew about the Creekside gate until recently. Seems pretty safe with lots of people around and a couple of permanent pit poopers and map dispensers.

mtbr member
    Ended up riding Pipeline... the east hills were blazing in the sun, so I tried to find some shade. Got off piste and pissed off going up the wrong ascent (in the shade though!) with lots of hikeabike.

Toyon climb is no joke! I was riding 32Tx11-46 and there's no way I was getting up the steeper parts. Maybe 28-30Tx11-46 next time! A longer(?) but less gnarly way to the top looks like Ollanson Trail? About the same?

Anyway, this is great trail with good flow and fun obstacles, jumps, berms, etc. I'm definitely going back after we get some rain (and its about 20 degrees cooler!). The soil is sandy and it was slip-n-slide up and down.

I encourage everyone to pay the modest ($8) fee at the park gate to support this well maintained and awesome legal trail system!

Recommended! Close the gate Darrell!

Name:  Cow on pipeline.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  31.8 KBName:  Pipeline signage.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  39.2 KB
    Last edited by Halfabrain; 1 Week Ago at 06:13 PM.