mtbr member

Fort Ord, rain, goat trail, horse, really?

I hate irresponsible people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fort Ord, rain, goat trail, horse, really?-post-hole.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How deep is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sink hole?

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The horse people here are chil but ride regardless of rain etc, and stomp the living pi$$ out of the trail and never show for trail days. Very fustrating.

jrm
    mtbr member

Someone got a flash light?

makes you wonder whats down there
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    makes you wonder whats down there
    more than likely a meteor
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was thinking of heading down there from Santa Cruz area on Friday... are trails in decent condition to ride or should we stay off them?

NedwannaB

Quick to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by quicklaps View Post
    I hate irresponsible people.
    Never underestimate the powers of a determined gopher! Didn't anyone see CaddyShack?

And those red shoes, doesn't Dorothy know she's not in Kansas anymore?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

It's about showing up.
    That is clearly a hole of the type A variety...
    I don't rattle.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by thanft View Post
    Was thinking of heading down there from Santa Cruz area on Friday... are trails in decent condition to ride or should we stay off them?
    I'm heading down friday also.....I rode there last Sunday during the rain and got soaked but these guys rode it today and it looks good to go.

Trail condition update 12/24 onward?
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtb'er
    That's a unique post hole. I used to get upset about horse impact on my local trail, cursing them for riding during the wet periods. But when I realized that their impacts pretty much disappeared over time without any real trailwork, I became more tolerant. Here's a pic of horse "damage" that irked me (on the left)... and what that same trail looks like in dry months (on the right). You wouldn't even know that horses hammered the trail in the Winter.

Now, I've been on several trails where horses have created a trench 2 feet deep... so I'm not saying horses cause no damage. Just pick your battles.

NedwannaB

Horses don't ruin trails.....

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    That's a unique post hole. I used to get upset about horse impact on my local trail, cursing them for riding during the wet periods. But when I realized that their impacts pretty much disappeared over time without any real trailwork, I became more tolerant. Here's a pic of horse "damage" that irked me (on the left)... and what that same trail looks like in dry months (on the right). You wouldn't even know that horses hammered the trail in the Winter.

Now, I've been on several trails where horses have created a trench 2 feet deep... so I'm not saying horses cause no damage. Just pick your battles.
    People riding them on wet trails do! Well except that friendly philly we met over near Granite Bay while finishing up on the FLEA!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    It's raining today...will the trail be rideable on Sunday? Thinking about heading up there for the first time.
    2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fujiblue1 View Post
    It's raining today...will the trail be rideable on Sunday? Thinking about heading up there for the first time.
    Less than .50" of rain fell early Saturday morning. Some trails may be a little soft and some puddles but Ft Ord is definitely ridable in Sunday. I'd ride today but work is in the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    To Hell with the horses! What about the erosion control on #44? One of the newest trails in Ord, also one of the shapliest, with burms-o-plenty, gets dozed over (not dozed as in destroyed, but just plowed)? It's confusing to me how BLM does things, but oh kay...

Erosion control with a sweco? Even Merrill got it too, which is exciting, becuse the sweco driver was kind enough to add a few rollers into the mix..

What ever happened to a shovel crew touching up a few trails here and there? Was it just talk when someone mentioned that the local mtb club was going to be allowed to do such a thing as some minor repair here and there? Admittingly, I did stop on Goat the other day and drained a few puddles..
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post

not unique, there are many on this trail now. These post holes turn into sink holes and then any more water (rain) will cause further damage. This isn't just a hoof mark which we all can live with, this is a 8-12 inch deep hole. my problems is:

1. why ride on goat trail? many alternative trails that can handle 6 straight days (which is what happened in this case) of rain and a horse 1000 times better.

2. Why ride the first sunny day after 6 straight rain days knowing the trails in FO are soft.. heck they are soft anyway.. couldnt wait 1 or 2 more sunny days? this would not have happened 2 days after..

that's all.

Q