Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fort Ord: Gigling: exactly where to park? (options? or is it just: 8th & Gigling?)

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  primordial 
#1 ·
Fort Ord: Gigling: exactly where to park? (options? or is it just: 8th & Gigling?)

To those with Knowledge Of Ord,
The last time I rode the fun little trails in the northwest reaches of Fort Ord, and the trails in the "middle section" of Fort Ord (ie: Trails 49, 50, 60, 71, 22, and Trails 80-85), it was a few years ago and there were two main parking options that I knew of:
8th & Gigling and the decrepit East Garrison (off of Inter Garrison Rd and Reservation Rd).

Clearly the East Garrison is barred to us now. The hand of Progress has in recent years closed off quite a bit of road access around the perimeter, it seems.

Is the traditional 8th and Gigling intersection itself still the best place to park on the Northwest side of Ord? Are there other good spots to park to access these trails in the Northwest section of Ord, and in the "middle section" as I imperfectly described above?

For example, can one still park at Schoonover Rd and Inter-Garrison? Does anyone park there or is 8th & Gigling just better anyway? ........Or somewhere in that whole general area? Sorry for my ignorance but there are more closed roads now than open roads around there :madman:, so I gave up and parked at Creekside.

Creekside is a clear place to park, of course, and I know you can access the "middle section" of Ord by riding some distance from Creekside (and even 59 Blair Witch and environs are "accessible" but quite far from Creekside.)

I'm specifically wanting to know about Good/Recommended parking options between the 8th & Gigling intersection and the old East Garrison, if there are any. (The official Trail Map of course doesn't have any "P" Parking symbols anywhere at all besides at Creekside, Laguna Seca, and Toro Creek Rd/Hwy 68.)

I assume that the answer is going to be "just park at 8th & Gigling.", but it would be nice to know if there are other options.

Thanks all. 411 much appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
take inter garrison Rd (east) through the campus and as it heads out of the campus you come to a Green gate across the road and a paved and sand lot to park in.

Ride the "access way" up and over a small hill and it will connect you to those 50's 20's 17 and such that you mention. This parking selection will just cut off the mile or two of pavement you have to ride now (giggling rd) and get you right into the goods. Those were sure fun trails running along Giggling Rd out to E.Garrison though.

Since I have been going in here I have found I need to incorporate another loop or so to get the length of ride I was getting from 8th & Giggling but that hasn't been a problem. I usually head over to 59 Blair Witch and do that right off the bat once and then head out to 49/50 then on my way back I will hit 68 down to Heineken Ranch Rd and do 59 again then take 69 back out towards inter garrison.

#5 ·
Tone No Balone, that's exactly what I was seeking. Really appreciate it.

I'll be stoked to come upon that green gate the next time I get the chance to get out there. Sounds like your "secret" parking spot will be fairly close to Schoonover after all.

From this screen shot of g-maps (attached), I believe I see the "Sergeant Access Corridor" of which you speak. Blair Witch beckons nearby indeed..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.