middle ring single track

Fort Ord; Monterey Downs, Monterey Horse Park---the sequel

The further I get into this issue the more I find out how much I don't know! For me, it's as good as a good mystery novel---except the ending hasn't been written yet and it's not fiction. I'm about 1000 pages in.... (not an exaggeration!)

In this thread I want to build on Open Spaces excellent thread "Monterey County Lands For Sale To Developers Again":

Monterey County Lands For Sale To Developers Again

My last post there was my discovery that the Monterey County Redevelopment Agency (and the Monterey County Water Resources Agency) is the Monterey County Board of Supervisors; they can change back and forth without anybody leaving their seats.

I wanted to find some documentation of how the swap is done; instead of just finding a text file (of which there are plenty) I came accross the Board of Supervisors video search page:

http://monterey.granicus.com/ViewPub....php?view_id=5

Anything that is done in public sessions at the Board of Supervisors can be watched on video. (or listened to MP3) A search for "ENA monterey downs jim cook" lead to quite a few meetings, this particular portion is a must watch for anyone caring about what's happening in the Parker Flats area RE Monterey Downs/Monterey Horse Park:

http://monterey.granicus.com/MediaPl...&meta_id=77852

The clip starts just after the Board of Supervisors have reconvened as the Monterey County Redevelopment Agency; public comments by Mike Weaver (a strong must watch) and Arthur McLaughlin are followed by a statement by Jim Cook. This is the meeting where entering into the ENA is agreed to. You'll also be able to scroll the text minutes of the meeting simultaneously.
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Team Chilidog!
    Have you sent this to the local Monterey paper and news stations? This seems like the type of thing they would eat up, especially this part:

"My last post there was my discovery that the Monterey County Redevelopment Agency (and the Monterey County Water Resources Agency) is the Monterey County Board of Supervisors; they can change back and forth without anybody leaving their seats."
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Have you sent this to the local Monterey paper and news stations? This seems like the type of thing they would eat up, especially this part:

"My last post there was my discovery that the Monterey County Redevelopment Agency (and the Monterey County Water Resources Agency) is the Monterey County Board of Supervisors; they can change back and forth without anybody leaving their seats."
    Here in Marin County the Board of Supervisors are also the Board of Directors of the parks/open space district. I wonder how common that arrangement is, and if it commonly extends to redevelopment agencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

middle ring single track

Sue the bastards...

Open Spaces sent me this link to this excellent resource:

http://www.ruralcanyons.org/stb2/pmw.../Main/HomePage

...I like this: "BASIC FLOWCHART FOR TYPICAL DEVELOPER-CONTROLLED CITY OR COUNTY":
    Photobucket

Several elements of this flowchart are present in the http://monterey.granicus.com/MediaPl...&meta_id=77852 video; again---a must watch if you're concerned about preserving Fort Ord.

From what I'm seeing, reason and public sentiment probably won't stop further development of the Fort Ord wild lands; somebody (group) is going to have to step forward and get an injunction against further development. I think the developers are counting on their deep pockets that this won't happen. I also think that there are enough inconsistencies for a lawsuit to be successful if a good lawyer handles it. Can a grass-roots group secure enough funding for same???

Stay tuned...
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

Team Chilidog!
    There was something on the local ABC news on the redevelopment groups fast tracking projects through before Brown cuts them:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ics&id=7908360

I'm sure they would love to have the Monterey situation as a companion story to this. It sounds like the Monterey Downs project they would fast track so they wouldn't have to deal with Brown's cuts.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD