Dropshot Champ!

Fort Bragg tour and Ibis Maximus Spotted!

Fort Bragg is worth the hype. You keep seeing trail reports, you keep hearing the chatter. The trails hit your system like a pull off a crackpipe probably hits an addict. Redwoods. Flow. Berms. Switchbacks. Roots. Rocks. Drops. Elevation. Features. Supersingle-singletrack. Trees so close you can't see the next corner. Awesome weather. Traction. All that annnd great beer.

We showed up a little late after some Boggs action the day before (shout out to CaptainCobb for the allofboggs trail map) and had guide Jesse (nugjug) from www.mendobikesprite.com

Some blurry awesome pics for your viewing pleasure:

guide jesse

guide nick on his ibis

getting around a mudslide:

berm through a redwood?!

wide bars caused a few problems this trip, including the fact that redwood trees like to grow close together. Tree: 1, Shoulder: 0, Hand: 0. Fun: 100. Time to go wider?!

can't beat this view when riding ocean cliffside:

somewhere along the coast, we spotted ibis maximus (some of you may have seen it at sea otter):

(crappy cellphone pic)

Genius idea after a few beers during camping. We'll have to see how the vids come out:

Wish we took more pics, but its pretty hard to stop and get out the camera when you're blasting through awesome trails. Get up to fort bragg, trails are crazy fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    How's nugjug doing? I heard he had some health issues???
    You're so right about the trails, good stuff. I've only ridden there once and I can't wait to go back. The trails we rode weren't very technical, just nice flowy singletrack thru the redwoods. We ran into MTBR member "zon", he helped us find our way out. I would recommend riding with a guide but, we had a great time exploring with old fashioned maps.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    next time you go let me know, looks like fun!

Pirate!!!
    How was your night camping in Boggs? Cold as sh!t I'd bet!

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    ground frozen @ Bogg's ?
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    ground frozen @ Bogg's ?
    Oh yea, its been cold. Afternoon riding is the best bet.

Levi Early
    Growing up here I was lucky to ride all the local trails. I moved away for a short time but eventually came back and one of the main reasons to come back are the trails that we have here. It is truely an amazing place to ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Shuuuuu..quiet! Ft. Bragg sucks big time..don't go, move along nothing to see here. Kidding aside, it's awesome, but only tell those who respect the trails and are not aholes.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Sharing is good

We have lots of room and more riders keep our trails open and flowing. Don't hold back when you get a chance come help keep our trails flowing.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    dropped to 26.

breaking ice with tires made for fun times

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    dropped to 26.

breaking ice with tires made for fun times

Ah, that looks like home!

singletrack bound
    Nice.......
    Here is some of our winter riding. Drove 30 minutes in a steady rain down to Fort Ord.

upper 40's - low 50's virtually no wind.

18.5 mi of mostly single track with a tad bit of fire road to make some connections possible.

Rode for two hours and never got rained on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fort Bragg tour and Ibis Maximus Spotted!-fort-jan-6-i.jpg  

Fort Bragg tour and Ibis Maximus Spotted!-fort-jan-6-ii.jpg  

Fort Bragg tour and Ibis Maximus Spotted!-fort-jan-6-iii.jpg  

Fort Bragg tour and Ibis Maximus Spotted!-fort-jan-6-iv.jpg  

Fort Bragg tour and Ibis Maximus Spotted!-fort-jan-6-x.jpg  

Last edited by Tone No Balone; 01-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tone No Balone - What route did you ride? Looks great and I've never been.

Nice.......
    Here is some of our winter riding. Drove 30 minutes in a steady rain down to Fort Ord.

upper 40's - low 50's virtually no wind.

18.5 mi of mostly single track with a tad bit of fire road to make some connections possible.

Rode for two hours and never got rained on.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Tone No Balone - What route did you ride? Looks great and I've never been.
    seleniak-

I don't ride with a garmin so It would be difficult to explain to you which route we took but our ride originated from the Gate on Inter-garrison Rd. and we took the "access corridor" across Watkins Gate Rd. onto the Fort Ord BLM land trails which are numbered and connected a pretty nice 18.5 mi loop out and back.

Going down 49 up Skyline Rd. to the top side of outhouse/sh*t house (44) up manzanita rd.to top of (42) Red Rock Trail and back down to Skyline and back up (49) cross Eucalyptus Rd. up (62) back to Henieken Ranch Rd around and down (68) back to Henieken Rd and back in on (59) Blair Witch/down and right on (69) and back to inter garrison.

lots of different options with different direction choices but once you get an idea of what direction you are going in you can put together a nice quick flowing ride without much stoppage time.

http://www.ftordbeta.org/FortOrd_Tra...ep2011_508.pdf
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks. That description helps a lot. Pulled the BLM map down and "Ted's" Garmin map so should be good to go.

-Shane

seleniak-

I don't ride with a garmin so It would be difficult to explain to you which route we took but our ride originated from the Gate on Inter-garrison Rd. and we took the "access corridor" across Watkins Gate Rd. onto the Fort Ord BLM land trails which are numbered and connected a pretty nice 18.5 mi loop out and back.

Going down 49 up Skyline Rd. to the top side of outhouse/sh*t house (44) up manzanita rd.to top of (42) Red Rock Trail and back down to Skyline and back up (49) cross Eucalyptus Rd. up (62) back to Henieken Ranch Rd around and down (68) back to Henieken Rd and back in on (59) Blair Witch/down and right on (69) and back to inter garrison.

lots of different options with different direction choices but once you get an idea of what direction you are going in you can put together a nice quick flowing ride without much stoppage time.

http://www.ftordbeta.org/FortOrd_Tra...ep2011_508.pdf
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    awesome pics last time i rode fort bragg was a Tour De Skunk mid 90's and there was no singletrack, now back on east coast, showed the pics to my wife and she said you should go there
    maybe i will, maybe i will

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

NedwannaB

True Ambassador!

Thanks for the links Zon.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Zon, this is outstanding! Thank you very much. I'm headed to the area this coming Friday with a friend who is pretty new to mt biking. She has ridden some of our easier trails here in Sacto/Auburn area: Lake Natoma loop (12mi), Granite Bay on north end, Cronan Ranch, and Olmstead Loop. She's not a good climber, so what would you recommend of the ones you posted? MANY thanks!

Dropshot Champ!
    Jesse took my gf and I out after thanksgiving and put together the caspar classic route you see there. She's more a roadie than a dirt shredder, so it was her first "real" singletrack. She'd done granite bay once and nevada city a few times. Other than her being on 30in wide bars (couldn't comfortably fit through some trees) and walking a few steep switchbacks and one plank logdrop, she rode most of it and had a blast.

My vote would be the Caspar classic route. It's a grinfest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Jesse took my gf and I out after thanksgiving and put together the caspar classic route you see there. She's more a roadie than a dirt shredder, so it was her first "real" singletrack. She'd done granite bay once and nevada city a few times. Other than her being on 30in wide bars (couldn't comfortably fit through some trees) and walking a few steep switchbacks and one plank logdrop, she rode most of it and had a blast.

My vote would be the Caspar classic route. It's a grinfest.
    Thanks much Redmr2! Appreciated,

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200 View Post
    Zon, this is outstanding! Thank you very much. I'm headed to the area this coming Friday with a friend who is pretty new to mt biking. She has ridden some of our easier trails here in Sacto/Auburn area: Lake Natoma loop (12mi), Granite Bay on north end, Cronan Ranch, and Olmstead Loop. She's not a good climber, so what would you recommend of the ones you posted? MANY thanks!

Well it's hard to escape the hills and climbing up there, it is coastal mountains. The Double Loop is very doable if she is an intermediate rider. My wife had not problem with it and she is not a strong climber either. If you want just flat,, the Big River in and out is flat, mostly fire road.

Here's a thread with a bunch of picks I took that will give you an idea of whats in store.

Photolog of our trip to the North Coast