mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Fork leaking oil?

So, I had a good 20 mile ride yesterday on my new-to-me Stumpy 29er. At the end of the ride I found juice coming out of the fork. Is this normal? I was riding on the pleasanton ridge, which was kinda harsh on the bike than usual due to storm damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fork leaking oil?-download.jpg  

bike buster
    Yup, Fox forks do that.

You could (and should, regularly) change the oil and replace the seals... but don't confuse that with 'new seals won't leak.' Just the way it is from my experience. If it's been serviced recently, just wipe it off - no big deal. Just be mindful that low oil levels could damage the fork so if it starts spewing oil every ride, change the seals and oil. It's real easy.

aka dan51
    If you're going to replace the seals and wipers use either ones from Rock Shox or Enduro Fork seals. www.enduroforkseals.com

It's "normal", but a fork puking oil should never be considered normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Your fork is indeed leaking oil and is due for an overhaul (wiper and oil replacement). I would not recommend the Enduro seals myself, as the dust wiper creates additional seal friction and could potentially lock in hard objects that could damage your fork's coating, not to mention that using them voids Fox's warranty. Also, if you were say a racer and this happened at an event that fox was in attendance at, and you wandered over to their booth in search of some help, and you had Enduro seals installed, they wouldn't help you at all. Just a quick advise from someone who has been servicing half a dozen forks a week for the past 14 years. Good luck!
    HANK & FRANK BICYCLES Lafayette
    Service Manager
    www.hankandfrankbicycles.com

mtbr member
    Blown for seals happen. Check your stanchions for any damage as well that may have gauged the seal. Perfect opportunity to service your forks like peletonnissen mentioned.

Also, good opportunity to get to know your forks. Servicing them is not that difficult if you have slight mechanical skills.

ballbuster

Listen to the man

Quote Originally Posted by peletonnissen
    Your fork is indeed leaking oil and is due for an overhaul (wiper and oil replacement). I would not recommend the Enduro seals myself, as the dust wiper creates additional seal friction and could potentially lock in hard objects that could damage your fork's coating, not to mention that using them voids Fox's warranty. Also, if you were say a racer and this happened at an event that fox was in attendance at, and you wandered over to their booth in search of some help, and you had Enduro seals installed, they wouldn't help you at all. Just a quick advise from someone who has been servicing half a dozen forks a week for the past 14 years. Good luck!
    Pelesumthin is the fork mastah.

I found my my older Duke and Reba forks that sometimes gunk just gets under the wiper seal, holds the lip open and lets the oil seep out. I ride in mucky conditions all the time.

I found I could just drop the lowers (clean conditions rule applies), clean out the seal and slap it back together (with new bushing lube oil) as a quick and dirty fix and I would be good for another six months. The process would take me like 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys. Never done a fork job before, and don't even know what some of you are saying (wipers), would you suggest any DIY manuals?

mtbr member
    Feel free to use the Fox service site: www.service.foxracingshox.com

They have great videos and images up there with full tutorials on their equipment. Although this service is not the most difficult repair for a bicycle out there, it still can be challenging to someone who is not familiar with the internals of a fork, or what to look for when servicing a fork. Also there is the issue of purchasing oil, and disposing of your old oil. For those reasons it may be advantageous to bring your fork/bike into a shop. Generally your local shop (if they service fox forks) can have a much shorter lead time than sending it into fox, will charge less than fox, and can save you shipping costs both directions. Shops have the right oil and will only charge you for what you need, plus they can deal with the clean up. Good luck!
    Service Manager

Master of None
    A really cheesy way to clean your fork seals is to put one wrap of masking tape on the stanchion just above the seal. Gently compress the fork to push the tape under the seal and pull it out. See all that dirt on the tape?

Works for me. If you lost a lot of lube you should drain and refill the lower.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    A really cheesy way to clean your fork seals is to put one wrap of masking tape on the stanchion just above the seal. Gently compress the fork to push the tape under the seal and pull it out. See all that dirt on the tape?

Works for me. If you lost a lot of lube you should drain and refill the lower.

This fork needs a wiper/seal replacement as well as an oil change. No quick fix for this situation. Good luck!
    Service Manager