mtbr member
    May 2005

Forget Mountain Lions, I got skunked tonight.....

On my second shower. Little bastard got me good. First world problems I know. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    On my second shower. Little bastard got me good. First world problems I know. Any suggestions?
    Forget the bullshit tomato juice urban legend.

This mixture works on humans too (may change hair color though):

De-Skunking Your Dog : The Humane Society of the United States

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    +1 to the recipe above. Make absolutely certain the detergent is Dawn dish soap. Been there, done that on my hunting Labrador....

...just after midnight.

...immediately upon ending a 6 hour drive.

...15 minutes from bedtime with a 4 a.m. wake up time.

jms
    mtbr member
    Bummer. I think they're attracted to carbon fiber ; }

Last time I remember this misfortune befalling anyone else was a racer @ the 24 Hours of Adrenaline at Laguna Seca in 2007.

As long as you can get the smell of of the bike.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No real strong dish soap in the house so I resorted to Simple Green which did the trick. The bike and my Sidis are going to have to wait till tomorrow. It really is amazing how hard that stuff is to completely get rid of if they get you really good. Never had a dog get hit and I can't imagine what a nightmare that would be with my Husky!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Reminds me of this...
    TR: Two skunks - got me

mtbr member
    Skunk joke:

Patric and his wife Deloris are on holiday in the US and Paddy decides he wants to take a skunk home to Ireland. He reckons it'll make a cool pet as no one in his home town will have seen one. The problem of course is how to smuggle the skunk through customs.

After a bit of though, Paddy figures he has a plan. His wife is a big woman so he suggests to her that they can strap up the skunk and hanging it between her legs. No one would see it under her long, baggy dress and it's unlikely anyone would search down there.

Deloris isn't convinced and says; 'But what about the smell Paddy?'.

Paddy replies; 'Ah tay hang wit it, if the skunk dies it dies'.

Contains no juice.
    That joke stunk.
    What's the difference between red and green?

Apparently nothing if you’re on a bike.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Ah my piglet. I tried my best!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr Pig again."

mtbr member
    Who gets skunked? C'MON MAN

mtbr member
    My dog got skunked directly in the mouth once. Terrible for her.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Houston Rockets about to get skunked.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Houston Rockets about to get skunked.
    Man im really hoping so

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's terrible but kinda funny. What's the whole story? How far from home?

I got sprayed when I was a teenager. It's so much worse than what you smell along highways when it's directly on you. Hot nasty concentrated oil. I don't remember what I used to wash it off myself but I did have to throw out the clothing. I'm sure everything I was wearing was cotton though so hopefully you can salvage yours assuming it was synthetic.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H View Post
    That's terrible but kinda funny. What's the whole story? How far from home?

I got sprayed when I was a teenager. It's so much worse than what you smell along highways when it's directly on you. Hot nasty concentrated oil. I don't remember what I used to wash it off myself but I did have to throw out the clothing. I'm sure everything I was wearing was cotton though so hopefully you can salvage yours assuming it was synthetic.
    So true about the smell. When my dog got blasted one night, he was upwind from me by about 10 yards and the winds were howling at about 25-30 mph in the rice fields...which was why we were there to hunt ducks. I walked in front of my travel trailer unloading stuff when I was overcome by this caustic gas. It smelled nothing like the skunk scent you smell from a distance or after one gets nailed on the road. I can't even explain the smell other than it was a strong, noxious, chemical of some sort. It took me a bit to figure out what the hell was happening all of a sudden until my dog came running back covered with the oils on the left side of his face and shoulder. I'd almost guarantee he was thinking it was a fluffy pointy kitty and went in to smell its ass like he does with his kitties at home and at our neighbors. He loves kitties.

The smell of that lil' bastard was permeated on the front of my trailer for weeks until it was finally weathered off by winter storms and intense south winds the rest of the season. My poor boy had to sleep in the back of my truck in the camper shell instead of in my bed keeping me warm on a freezing night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You probably already have some Tecnu around, that will work well removing it.

mtbr member
    I had a dog that literally consumed a skunk in roughly 20 seconds. When I got to her and there was nothing left I had a hard time comprehending what just happened. Between getting sprayed and the blood all that was left was a thick purplely froth all over her snout and in her mouth. She had been sprayed 2 times prior before the skunk treed itself. I guess enough was enough.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Ha! Reminds me of a time I was riding down a really narrow hillside singletrack, screaming around a corner all of a sudden a skunk appeared on the trail running right towards me. We scared the hell out of each other, I slammed on my brakes, he slammed on his, and we ended up a couple feet from each other. Luckily, he didn't spray and ran the other way. The funny thing was that he was jogging right down the trail in front of me and wouldn't let me pass, so I had to slowly follow him for about a mile and half without getting too close. Skunked my ride, but better than getting sprayed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    The funny thing was that he was jogging right down the trail in front of me and wouldn't let me pass, so I had to slowly follow him for about a mile and half without getting too close. Skunked my ride, but better than getting sprayed!
    I've seen them do that a number of times. FYI, I've found that if you stop and give them plenty of room they'll get off the trail whereas if you follow them they'll stay on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We had a riding buddy that became a legend after a skunking. I wasn't there, but the story was that he t-boned a skunk on a night ride and got blasted. He finished the ride, borrowed a towel from the ride host, stripped off his skunky clothes and hung out, in a towel, for a post ride beer.

Then, stopped off at Longs (RIP) on his way home, still in a towel, to buy the ingredients for the anti-skunk potion referenced above. And, got himself cleaned up enough that he slept in bed with his wife that night.

That's how it's done!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    sorry to hear about getting skunked.

I unfortunately had this happen many years ago. I was working away from home for several weeks during summer so took my bike for companionship. As I didn't know the local trails, I'd often just go riding/bushwacking through a field.

One day I'm riding along just before dusk through a field of tall grass and thought I saw something black and white under grass. I stopped and there was a skunk pinned under the grass. My bike was holding the grass down holding the skunk down. I knew the second I moved the skunk would be free. Like stepping on a landmine. After several minutes it was getting dark so I said f it and pulled the bike and ran the other way. Skunk got me good as well as bike. Never bushwacked again.
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

Rhymes with fartmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Ha! Reminds me of a time I was riding down a really narrow hillside singletrack, screaming around a corner all of a sudden a skunk appeared on the trail running right towards me. We scared the hell out of each other, I slammed on my brakes, he slammed on his, and we ended up a couple feet from each other. Luckily, he didn't spray and ran the other way. The funny thing was that he was jogging right down the trail in front of me and wouldn't let me pass, so I had to slowly follow him for about a mile and half without getting too close. Skunked my ride, but better than getting sprayed!
    I had the exact scenario happen riding at Pleasanton Ridge one night a couple years ago. Little turd insisted on running along the singletrack rather than book it into the overgrowth.
    one by nine works just fine but single speed is all ya need

mtbr member
    Got hit taking the trash out the night before I moved to Hawaii from Marin. In a hurry and ran around the corner into a cloud. Agree that it smelled nothing like aromatic road kill. Kinda feel bad for the people sitting next to me on the plane the next day. The worst thing is I knew the little bastard was hanging around the front yard as I had taken this pic of him a week before from the safety of my front window.

Forget Mountain Lions, I got skunked tonight.....-skunk.jpg
    I never said most of the things I said - Yogi Berra