mtbr member

Forest City Feedback

With the downieville gathering happening this past weekend, I was wondering if anybody made it over to Forest City. If you did, how about some pics and impressions of riding up there. which loops did you do? favorites? etc....

mstoddard
    Apr 2004
    Great riding around FC, currently some loggin activities have some of the trails closed.
    check out Forest Trails Alliance for info.

Spin-stabilized
    We were there. Got denied the full loop ( dirt lot - Sandusky rd - new connector - truckee ditch trail - ridge runner - high grade - pvd - dirt lot ) due to some navigational error. Too bad, would've been a sweet and easy 30+ miles. I could not find the connector. Riding all the way to the top of Sandusky rd to Henness pass rd to TDT looked too unappealing at the time as a second option so we turned around and just did pvd. BIG mistake, in hindsight. Kinda funny, I was just studying the topo maps tonight then I saw this thread. Had I known at the time, I would've pressed on and got the full loop. The top of Sandusky road is steep as I recall from last year's trip. Last year, I took a wrong turn and ventured down Henness Pass Rd en route to FC. That's how I know. That's also how I stumbled upon the TDT trailhead. Anyway, after looking at the map, the top of Sandusky road was not too far from where we turned around ( right around Lucky Dog Creek). Doh!
    Sandusky Trail was still hike a bike galore due to logging damage. We wasted some time gambling with that one. Bottom of High Grade also had a trail closed sign like Sandusky but I scoped it out and it was clear. It was my first time riding PVD and it was super fun. Definitely my kind of riding. It's not bad as an out and back either if you don't like the fire road return route.
    Last year, I rode Sandusky trail to high grade to ridge runner, then about 2 miles of pvd out and back. That's about 20 miles. It's a surprisingly easy 20 miles with the only real climbing being on Sandusky road and the switchbacks on the end of Sandusky trail before the TDT- ridge runner intersection. The trail descriptions on the FTA website are spot on. The trails are on the xc side of things with really good flow. Without ever seeing Truckee Ditch, I'd say that PVD is the most challenging with a bunch of hairy drop-ins into tight stream crossings. There were also a few sections where clipping your bars or pedals on a trailside obstacle could send you off the side and down a steep ravine. I hardly noticed all the exposure due to the dense forest but when I did, I was surprised by how steep and how deep the canyon walls were in a few places. I plan to return, not just for some redemption. That place is beautiful. The trails are beautiful.

I'd stay away from Sandusky Trail until the local riders chime in with the go-ahead. There's lots of fallen timber and tons of debris on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forest City Feedback-p1000057x.jpg  

Last edited by bailout; 06-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?