Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Flow trail whips

PVD's post about his purpose built bike inspired me to start a thread about what people are riding on Endor. This trail is so different from everything else around here, it's interesting trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.

I'll start. My everyday go-to bike is a 150/140mm full suspension rig, which is pretty versatile and a bit of a do-everything bike. I've ridden Endor a few times with it, and it performed fine. But I could tell that it wasn't really at home over the rollers and banks. Even when I set my compression really stiff, it just felt too squishy. I'd get out of rhythm over the sections with repeated rollers and it was tough getting in synch with the suspension.

Last winter, I built up an On-One 456 Evo frame with parts I had laying around. It's long, low, and very slack with the 150mm Revelation on there. You can see the full specs on the link above, but the important numbers are 65.7 HT, 71.2 ST, 17mm BB drop. The stem is a 0, 45mm Gravity Light. Bars are Race Face Turbines at 680mm. I'm tempted to go wider, but Like PVD said, more than 700mm is pushing it for singletrack riding around here. I'm a small guy too, think Ewok size. So bigger bars are probably not much of a benefit for me. The wheels I swiped from an older bike for this build are Chris King hubs laced to Mavic 717 disc rims. Lately I've been stealing the front wheel from my FS bike when I take this ride out so I can run a fatter front tire, it's a Stan's Crest rim and Hope Pro 2 Evo hub. In this configuration, the tire are a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front and WTB Weirwolf 2.1 rear. Formula R1 brakes (180mm front, 160mm rear), 1x9 drivetrain, blah blah blah. (who needs the drivetrain on a flow trail anyway?)

Today I took it out to Endor for the first time... Holy cow! Now this is MUCH better than my FS bike. It felt much more maneuverable and responsive, yet stable and confidence inspiring in the banked turns. "Playful" is the word that comes to mind, it was like hanging onto a rabbit by the ears and plunging through the forest. I only got three laps in today, so not a lot of time to form a solid opinion, but it's feeling pretty dialed in for flow trail use.

Some changes/upgrades that I'm considering: dropper post, a clutch derailleur, and *maybe* wider bars. I'm thinking about dropping the fork a bit to steepen up the HT, but I don't really see a strong reason to do that right now. I like the longer travel for general trail riding and I don't feel like the extra long front end is a hindrance right now.

I don't think this build is compromising much in the name of trail riding either. Pop the seat back to pedaling height, and it can tackle pretty much anything that I would ride my FS bike on.

Flow trail whips-img_2763.jpg

Alright... I'm done for now. What are you riding?
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    dang, I was expecting pics of you getting sideways in the air on this trail. I still haven't been down there yet so I can't comment on what I'm riding there...
    9 out of 10 doctors surveyed said, "Who is this, and why are you calling so late!?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enicma View Post
    dang, I was expecting pics of you getting sideways in the air on this trail. I still haven't been down there yet so I can't comment on what I'm riding there...

I should also clarify that I don't have a lot of experience on this kind of track/trail. I never rode BMX when I was a kid. I'm relatively quick on singletrack, but I have very little lift/shuttle DH experience. I'm fast-ish, but I've always been more of a wheels-on-the-ground guy. I ride street motorcycles, but have never been on a dirt bike. So I'm more used to grip, versus slip.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    If I make it there in the nearest future, I will take my Transition TransAm - 26 - and lower the U-turn Sektor Coil SL fork it has down to 110mm from 150. And maybe swap Muddy Mary front tire on it to something with less knobs.

swag ho Administrator
    You better believe I'm borrowing my kid's bike!!
    Flow trail whips-p5070009.jpg

He said he wanted a summer job so he can trick this out even more
    Flow trail whips-p5070013.jpg

Trained at:
    Flow trail whips-p5070015.jpg

Prototype tires from folks he met at Sea Otter.
    Flow trail whips-p5070016.jpg

hell ya
    Flow trail whips-p5070019.jpg

one of a kind grips to match the contact points of his shoes.
    Flow trail whips-p5070020.jpg
    IPA will save America

ballbuster
    I can't wait to check it out. Unfortunately, I can only go on weekends these days. I suspect there is going to be a line at the Flow trail like a line for a Disneyland ride on a three day weekend in summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I can't wait to check it out. Unfortunately, I can only go on weekends these days. I suspect there is going to be a line at the Flow trail like a line for a Disneyland ride on a three day weekend in summer.
    You would be correct - it is almost like an amusement park ride line with everybody queuing up in the early-middle part of a weekend day! Go early or late and it will be way less crowded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Score one for parental eminent domain! Sweet bike... what is left for him to upgrade?!

mtbr member
    It can definitely get crowded on the weekend, but the volume is handled well. It's one-way downhill, so cross traffic isn't an issue. Just so long as everyone spaces out a bit at the start, it's not a problem. Besides, shootin the **** at the top of the course and catching your breath before dropping in is half the fun. Chill for a bit and make some new friends.

That said, if you can play hooky and get out there on a weekday when it's less crowded, it's EVEN BETTER.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    Score one for parental eminent domain! Sweet bike... what is left for him to upgrade?!
    Let me just say that this bike gets upgraded every night. The number one activity is stickers... then tires, grips. Then he wants to do the cranks, seat clamp, red nipples, spank rim.

It is fricken endless. But I don't have a problem with it. He said he wants a summer job so he can pay for it all. And he's learning every single part of that bike.

fc
    IPA will save America

NONDURO
    red nipples, spank rim.
    When I spank my rims it makes my nipples turn red.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    When I spank my rims it makes my nipples turn red.
    My knees just slammed together.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    I'll make it up there one of these days. On paper my bike should be set up well for a trail of that type... We'll see if the rider is able to keep up.

mtbr member
    For conversations sake, what exactly makes a bike a flow trail bike?

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Don't know!
    There has been some talk about it in the past, but for now it seems that slack hardtail/DJ seems to be the weapon of choice... but I'm not sure that it matters what someone is riding at all, as long as their seat is down and they can rail.

... Of course, I've never ridden this trail, or something really like it... just some of our fun stuff down here!

mtbr member

Whip

First bike I ever owned that I could use the word 'whip' without irony. Totally sick little bicycle. Build is just to the heavy side of dual slalom, a little burlier, a little slacker.
    2011 Specialized SX (100 mm travel)
    RS Lyrik Solo Air RC2L (120 mm)
    Spez Butcher Control 2.3 f and Ground Control Control 2.3 r
    These are my grass/loose slalom tires. If I was riding nothing but Endor I would go Fast Trak 2.2 f and r, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flow trail whips-flow_trail_whips.jpg  

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    The rider.

(No offense to the great bikes on this thread)

Seat as low as you can go (shorter chainstays help too), but it's mostly body movement that works a flow trail.

Run what u brung! And extend and suck up as much as possible.

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mtbmx

GT's MTBMX line seems like it could work well here. It has been popular amongst the Dirt Jump/Pump Track crowd at a relatively low price (depending on model):
    MTBMX Bikes / Mountain Bikes / GT Bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    The rider.

Seat as low as you can go (shorter chainstays help too), but it's mostly body movement that works a flow trail.

P
    What he said.

I'm really diggin it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5070009.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	797300

Name:	P5070013.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	797301

Trained at:

Name:	P5070015.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	797302

Prototype tires from folks he met at Sea Otter.

Name:	P5070016.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	797303

hell ya

Name:	P5070019.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	797304

one of a kind grips to match the contact points of his shoes.

Name:	P5070020.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	797305
    Front brake or you will be soooo sad.

I'm really diggin it!

Flow trail whips

V 1.0

V 2.0 has a bigger bar

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    The rider.

P
    YEAH!

Well, kinda...

Even though all mountain biking is 90+ % rider, there's always more appropriate tools and setups for the job (specially with flow trails).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flow trail whips-p4pb1547927981ez6pvk4.jpg  

Flow trail whips-valmistiella42000.jpg  

IPA will save America

eBiker
    YEAH!

Well, kinda...

Even though all mountain biking is 90+ % rider, there's always more appropriate tools and setups for the job (specially with flow trails).
    Two can play this game

Flow trail whips-photo1.jpg

Back to serious MTBR talk... my point is to just go out and have fun with whatever you have.

A few years ago I raced a guy in the Sea Otter Dual Slalom, he was on his DH bike, he ended up third overall. I got second on my 6" Enduro. And the guy who beat us was on a hardtail. Over half the class used dedicated DS bikes. I learned a lot that day.

P

(again, I love these bikes and they should rail the trail and be stupid fun!)

Uncle
    Crest wheels on a flow trail!?! Blasphemy! Next thing you know guys will be rolling down it in lycra and spds!!!

So I rolled down it twice today - in lycra, and spds. 29er HT, 90mm stem+710mm bars. Didn't lower the saddle either pass, but will do so next time. If anything, I have a ton to gain in skills before my bike becomes a limiting factor. Agree with the others: Ride whatchya brung.

PS - Sick Yelli Davey Simon. Just might have to get one myself at some point.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Just so I've got my bike pic showing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast