Captain One Lung SuperModerator

Flow State - A reason to push yourself to learn more and develop muscle memory

"Psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi says we can achieve one of the most elusive needs — self-actualization — by finding a state of "flow" in our work or our hobbies."

I'm sure most of us have felt this before. It's quite an incredible feeling but for me it doesn't happen often. The idea that with enough practice and skill one can achieve this feeling almost at will when you set up the right conditions is intriguing. It all boils down to practicing something for so long that muscle memory and deeply embedded neuropathways can take over an action. So does this mean that with more drills, practice and challenging ourselves we can have even more fun on a bike? What do you think? Is riding the same unchallenging trails day after day robbing us of this blissful emotion?

More info:

The 'Flow State'
    "Athletes, of course, call this "being in the zone." Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (pronounced MEE-high, CHEECH-sent-mee-high) calls it "the flow state." When you are in it, writes neuroscientist Daniel Levitin, "attention is focused on a limited perceptual field that receives your full concentration and complete investment. Action and awareness merge."
    You get so deeply into your head, you lose track of everything except what you're doing. There was a surgeon, Csikszentmihalyi says, who wasn't aware that the roof of his operating room had collapsed until he was done with the surgery. In this state, "what you think becomes what you do," Levitin writes. We "get wonderfully, blissfully lost in an activity, losing all track of time, of ourselves, our problems."
    How one gets there — that's still a mystery. Practice is important. Tenacity matters. Talent helps. When you find your "flow," your brain changes. Dopamine and noradrenaline kick in, GABA neurons get suppressed; sex, hunger, thirst matter less, you are free to play more deeply with stream-of-conscious associations; you are chemically released and can now roam far and wide. Yes, you have no idea where you are or how this is happening; but that it's happening must be one of the most wonderful experiences ever."

Flow State chart
    Flow State - A reason to push yourself to learn more and develop muscle memory-smaller-maybe.jpg

Ted talk on Flow, the secret of happiness

Uncle
    "MEE-high, CHEECH-sent-mee-high"
    Cheech? Marin... Marin is the birthplace of mountain bikes... it's all starting to make sense... sensimilla? I think you're on something.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    "MEE-high, CHEECH-sent-mee-high"
    Cheech? Marin... Marin is the birthplace of mountain bikes... it's all starting to make sense... sensimilla? I think you're on something.
    LOL now you're getting it.

mtbr member
    Buddhist, and in particular Zen Buddhist have been achieving this 'flow' state (and much more) for over 2000 years in everyday zazen (meditation). If you have a Zen temple near you, go pay a visit.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Buddhist, and in particular Zen Buddhist have been achieving this 'flow' state (and much more) for over 2000 years in everyday zazen (meditation). If you have a Zen temple near you, go pay a visit.
    I hear Sting has this down pat too.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    The only easy day was yesterday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    One of the best ways for me to be able to push everything life related to the side, for a short period, is being able to ride at or close to the limit on a few of my favorite technical trails. I was working from home for a while, so I could fit it into a regular lunch ride.