mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm First time in Nor Cal - Any recommandation ?

Hey Guys, we just booked our ticket for SF and its gona be our first time around Nor Cal with enduro bikes. Will spend 10 days around and looking foward to maximize the riding. Will be there late March/early April

Looking online and best trails look kind of secret and hard to find ... So far we have Livermere, Demo Forest and Monterey in mind.

Any recommandation where and what to ride or don't ride ? Contacts and/or shuttle service to recommand ?

We like gravity stuff and not scared of the steeps but willing to hit flow stuff as well.

Any recommandations would be appreciate. Cheers !

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxime_936 View Post
    Hey Guys, we just booked our ticket for SF and its gona be our first time around Nor Cal with enduro bikes. Will spend 10 days around and looking foward to maximize the riding. Will be there late March/early April

Looking online and best trails look kind of secret and hard to find ... So far we have Livermere, Demo Forest and Monterey in mind.

Any recommandation where and what to ride or don't ride ? Contacts and/or shuttle service to recommand ?

We like gravity stuff and not scared of the steeps but willing to hit flow stuff as well.

Any recommandations would be appreciate. Cheers !
    What is in Livermore?????????

Demo is good. Santa cruz is good, but mostly illegal. You will want yo hit pacifica with enduro and steep stuff. But this is half day stuff. Demo and santa cruz can be full day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    It's more in Del Valle regional park the trail we spotted, its near Livermore

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pacifica is on the way south from SF, worth a stop

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gold country...nevada city, auburn, Georgetown.

mtbr member
    Oat Hill Mine Rd. up in Calistoga would be a fun one. Super rocky and technical trail, but kind of a long drive from SF.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Are you staying in SF or bouncing around? That's a great time to be here! Trails are drying out, but we'll have some more rain by then.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    We rented an RV and we are planning to move around, something 3-4 hours drive from SF is all good for us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Then you should check out this thread:
    The perfect roadtrip - Tourist info

And a few others. This year there's no snow (welcome back to the drought) so lots of places should be ridable by late March which on a normal year wouldn't melt out until July.

Retro on Steroids
    Tamarancho, then a visit to the Marin Museum of Bicycling and MTB Hall of Fame in Fairfax.

Hella Olde
    Tamarancho loop including the Endor flow trail is well worth a visit, but it's rather flat. There's not much in the immediate Bay Area that's got any real elevation. Rain has been light so far this year. If that unfortunate trend continues, the real mountains are only about 3 hours East and worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If you like gravity, go Pacifica, hwy 9 ucsc stuff, demo, then head east. Exchequer or Pinecrest, then head north, Georgetown shuttles with Tom, maybe lower Tahoe stuff if this weather continues, and then head back. I personally think tamarancho is boring and not gravity oriented. But across the street is some fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    El Corte de Madera state park (aka Skeggs) is close to SF and has some great single track in the Redwoods as well. Henry Coe state park (from HQ: the Flat Frog/Middle Ridge/Lost Spring/China Hole loop) is a good ride.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Then you should check out this thread:
    The perfect roadtrip - Tourist info

And a few others. This year there's no snow (welcome back to the drought) so lots of places should be ridable by late March which on a normal year wouldn't melt out until July.
    X2 on this. The sixth post on that thread is gold.

I'd be shocked if the Northstar bike park was open by late March (ski season usually goes until mid-April, even in bad years, and it takes a month or two after that to get the bike park ready).

Downieville probably won't be open to the top, but the lower stuff (first/second/third divide) will be in play.

Boggs burned to the ground in 2015 and hasn't re-opened for riding.

Annadel is half-closed thanks to fires late last year, and probably isn't destination-worthy until it reopens.

IMHO, you're going to want to spend a lot of time in the foothills on either side of Tahoe - Auburn, Nevada City, and Reno, to name a few.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    I'm off from March 30-April 8 if you want a tour of the Santa Cruz trails. Shoot me a pm!
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by prozach0215 View Post
    If you like gravity, go Pacifica, hwy 9 ucsc stuff, demo, then head east. Exchequer or Pinecrest, then head north, Georgetown shuttles with Tom, maybe lower Tahoe stuff if this weather continues, and then head back. I personally think tamarancho is boring and not gravity oriented. But across the street is some fun stuff.

Aw man....teaser.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'll put in the plug for my local trails in Redding. We've got over 200 miles of singletrack, and it's all rideable year-round. Trails drain really well, so it's great even right after/during rain. It's about a 3-hour drive north of SF bay. IMHO it's the best riding in CA (I may be slightly biased, but I'm from the Bay and have lived all over CA). Let me know if you come up this way and I'll give you specifics. Maybe even meet you out on the trail!

There are also some great trails about 40 mins west of here in Weaverville, 1.5 hours east in Susanvile, 45 mins north in Eureka, and 1.5 hours north in Ashland (Oregon). Those would all be fun detours.

As for Bay Area riding, it's honestly not that great. There are some fun riding areas, but they are pretty spread out and the trail systems are not that big. That said, my favorites are Joaquin Miller, China Camp, and Tamarancho. I've never ridden Del Valle. I've hiked there...and I've read about the trails...and my parents live there...and I've still never ridden it. So, yea, I don't think it's worth the trip tbh.

Annadel is another one that's worth stopping at on your way north. Word to the wise, though: make sure you do the trails in the right direction. It's super rocky and some trails are fun in one direction, but basically unrideable the other way. I learned this the hard way my first time there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Downieville and Tahoe would be top of the list, but you'll probably be too early in the season to ride those. Although it has been a super mild winter, so worth checking as your trip gets closer.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    Downieville and Tahoe would be top of the list, but you'll probably be too early in the season to ride those. Although it has been a super mild winter, so worth checking as your trip gets closer.
    Unless it gets really warm next month, the impending storm system is going to drop enough snow to shut things down (above about 5,000 feet or so) through to at least April.

Paper or plastic?
    Soquel demo, stuff around Santa Cruz. Maybe go down to SLO. no real shuttling in the bay area. If March is wet, not much riding either.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I should probably say I'm more of a trail/XC/flow than a downhill guy. There's some great downhill in all the places I mentioned, but you generally have to work to get there. You could theoretically self-shuttle some of them, but doesn't sound like that's an option for you with only the one RV.

The only places I'm aware of, in pretty much all of CA, where you don't have to climb are the ski parks (Tahoe, Mt. Shasta, and areas more than 3-4 hrs from the Bay), and shuttles in Downieville, Ashland, and Flume Trail (Tahoe). I think you're probably gonna be about a month early for all of those places, though, unfortunately...

Ride, Race, Live
    Like AKD said with the storm that's rolling though now the high sierra's are going to be snowy for awhile.
    It's OK we need it.
    However the lower Sierra's should be perfect by that time.
    I personally haven't explored much of Auburn yet, but I intend to soon.
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7003104/tour-the-asra

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Auburn does have a shuttle service, California Expeditions. Says regular service doesn't start until March 30, but probably worth emailing anyway. The same guys does shuttles in Georgetown occasionally, which I've never been to, but looks sick in videos.

P.S. Someone actually down-voted my "rep" for recommending Redding and saying I don't think Bay Area riding iss all that great. There is honestly nothing I have ever cared less about in my life than having my rep dinged in a online forum, but seriously how dumb is that...?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That time of year my vote would be to stay out of the sierras and foothills. It would take about half your trip, but my vote would be going up to the Lost Coast - look up Paradise Royale. Nice camping at the trailhead, great exposure to northern california's real treasures - the coast and redwoods. Then maybe to Mendocino 'on the way back' - everything is a long drive in nor cal. As a bonus you can hit Annadel on the way up or back, and there is camping at Spring Lake right at the trail there. And Oat mine hill isn't too far away either, which is a good option if the rains hit late in the year.

Combine that with a few days in the santa cruz area hit demo, skaggs, get a tour of the other stuff there....

Trip you'd remember for a lifetime

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm just going to leave this here...
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-mi...alifornia.html

mtbr member
    Don't try to go into the sierra at that point. There is about eight feet of snow falling this week and melt out will be a bit late again. However, bring skis if you do that because the spring snow is always superb in California. At least as good as Rockies powder!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ok, I live part time in Truckee (Tahoe Area)- we (now) have TONS of snow- so Northstar is not open and won't be for MTB. Also if they're riding around in an RV- forget going anywhere near highways with snow- they'd need chains at a min :-)