mtbr dismember

First ride going commando!

Every time I ride in the desert it seems nearly everyone is running tubeless. After getting a flat in Palm Springs three weeks ago I began to contemplate the switch. And after getting another flat in Mendocino last week I decided it was time to try it. Today (3/16) was my first tubeless ride, at Auburn, and it was a spectacular day and ride.

I sure felt faster and it was evident almost in the first two miles this would be a fast 52 miler. After climbing Stagecoach from the Confluence and going down Manzanita and Mossy Rock I cross the Foresthill Bridge and take the Connector to FDL. I then do three times around FDL and head back the way I came. Heading out on the third trip around FDL is especially tough psychologically, yet each of my three trips got successively faster. At The Connector on the return I met a fast group of about 8 riders led by redmr2_man. He gave me much appreciated words of encouragement. Due to too many experiences with head on collisions, or nearly so, I hold back quite a bit on The Connector and FDL. However, I let the last guy in the group run interference for me until we hit the bridge. But after riding more than 40 miles I just couldn't keep up once we started the climbing past the bridge. However, I still turned in a new PR on The Connector.

Toward the end of The Connector I began having serious cramps in my inner thighs, so I started pedaling standing to use different muscles. At the top of Fuel Break I passed the fast group taking a break and it looked like I was showboating. But my thighs hurt too much to sit down. Going up Mossy Rock was tough and I also had to stand going up Stagecoach toward Manzanita. I really wanted to finish so I tried riding up a short, tricky, steep climb on Manzanita I'd only ever done once before. I hit some rocks, stalled at the top, and fell of the trail down a steep bank. As I was sliding down, upside down, I happened to grab a tree to stop myself. That left me on my back like a turtle with my head down slope and my leg caught under the bike. It took me quite awhile to pull myself up and extract my leg, which was cramping, from under the bike. I haven't had a bad fall in a long time so I've been wearing lightweight knee-pads by G-Form. So I cut up my shins a bit and I also burned my elbows sliding down the hill. It took me a good bit of time to compose myself, but with only two miles to go I headed back to The Confluence.

Despite the time off for the fall I finished the ride nearly half an hour faster than ever, I set several PR's, and I only stopped for a total of 19 minutes on a 52 mile ride. I guess it's true what they say about tubeless

Until Garmin Connect returns.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 03-19-2013 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here's to Wherewolf for being pretty much the only person here that posts ride reports (even if this one didn't have photos). Seems like 98% of NorCal mtbr posts are about everything but the great ride one just did!

mtbr member
    Good job Steve. I miss riding at Annadel with you.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks Wolf for another great report. Glad to know I'm not the one who's done the "turtle" on Manzanita! Only once I came un-clipped and the poor bike flew almost to 49. Keep up the great work.

mtbr member
    Great job and ride report there Wolfie. You're an inspiration to sometimes take it a notch further and really log those miles. We all go on our regular rides and make it work with the time we can spare to do so, but we should all make time for the epics sometimes too... Good job...

The Road Warrior
    Don't ever let them tell you that long hours in the saddle causes impotence.

Just say no, bro.

mtbr dismember
    I miss the place but it is such a long tedious drive. You ever start early, like 8 am?
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 03-17-2013 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr dismember

Short ride

Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
    Don't ever let them tell you that long hours in the saddle causes impotence.
    That's short ride for me. And with a proper fitting bike and seat there is nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 03-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Dropshot Champ!
    haha that was me wherewolf. Blue ibis. Few sac state riders ran into some uc davis riders and they asked us to show em around.

Great work out there!

aka dan51
    I thought going commando meant forgetting your underwear.

I envy how far you can ride, nice work.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr dismember
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I thought going commando meant forgetting your underwear.
    Going without tubes

Lusus Naturae
    Wherewolf, just wanted to point out something about the cramping ... I believe it goes hand-in-hand with the faster/harder ride that you were doing. Something got you excited and riding harder/faster (the idea of running tubeless perhaps?) and throw in the fact it was a big ride, and voila .. cramping.

I can ride the same exact route 5 times at 85% but the one time I go 100% I'll cramp.

mtbr member
    Remember when you got new tennis shoes and you swore that you were running like the fastest kid in town. Forget Red Bull, new stuff gives you wings. Great ride in spite of the turtle maneuver.
    "Time won't leave me as I am "

mtbr member

Great Effort!

I know exactly what you mean by "not being able to take sitting on the seat anymore." That was the way I felt up on the TRT that day with you. I am not sure if it was my seat or my thighs. Thankfully mine started feeling better.

Hey, since you were laying flat did your stimulator go crazy?

mtbr dismember

CamelBak

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@MBD.com View Post
    ...Hey, since you were laying flat did your stimulator go crazy?
    My CamelBak prevents me from going totally flat on my back so I'll never ride without it.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    That's short ride for me.
    Have you considered driving a bit South for the Hard Coe 100 ride in October??? Itís quite a ball-breaker.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.