Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Resident Curmudgeon

Fire in Henry Coe

not sure on the size but they pretty much just stripped down the CAL Fire engines from Santa Cruz County to head that way post haste [code 3] (6 engines and a Battlion Chief) to suppliment the Santa Clara Cal Fire Rescources

Fire is accessing the park via E Dunn ave from 101.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Paper or plastic?
    Hope that BigLarry is okay.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Maybe he started it??? He was going to the Gilroy side. I am sure he is fine

Silence! I kill you!
    I was leaving my grandparents house and saw the smoke. Here is what I got from the SJ Merc (For what its worth, it may not be correct)

Amid breezy conditions, firefighters this afternoon were scrambling to fight a brush fire that quickly scorched 200 acres outside of Morgan Hill near Henry Coe State Park, authorities said.

Crews are using 10 Cal Fire engines, two helicopters and the DC-10 Air Tanker to battle the Lick Fire. No homes or buildings are currently threatened.

Bay Area residents reported thick plumes of smoke billowing out over the ridge line and traffic on Highway 101 between Gilroy and Morgan Hill had slowed.

"It is serious," said county Battalion Chief Scott Jalbert. "This has the potential of being a major fire."

Jalbert said the fire was spreading quickly thanks to heavy vegetation in the area.

"It is a really big plume of smoke," said Saratoga resident Robert Berger, who could see the cloud of smoke from his home. "It is pretty major. It looks like a mini-mushroom cloud."
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Resident Curmudgeon
    Henry Coe State Park at 15:50 9/3/07

Shots taken from my Fire Station looking east across the Santa Clara Valley to the Diablo Range just south of Mt Hamilton and Lick Observatory

30+ miles as the crow flies

Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Dirt Abuser
    Noticed that plume of smoke at 3pm when I got out of the house today... Looks like quite a blaze... Weather report mentioned this morning that it's going to get warmer as the week progresses...

TANSTAAFL
    taken from my deck.....looks big.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by addictionms; 09-03-2007 at 05:12 PM.
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

Resident Curmudgeon
    it's somewhere between 200 & 400 acres and growing with zero containment

Too Much Fun

Yup, looks bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut
    it's somewhere between 200 & 400 acres and growing with zero containment
    Just saw it on the news. The big jet tanker is en route. They said winds are up and will stay up which won't help things.

And its been waaay hot and waaaay dry. Not good.
    - -benja- -

More pie please
    Here's how it looked from Hwy 101 @ 4:08pm:

And no, BigLarry's group didn't have anything to do with it!!!!!!!!! It was hot, dry, and windy
    at Coe. When we started seeing the CDF planes flying over, we talked about how this
    would be a really bad day for a fire. We were at the Hunting Hollow end of the Park and
    couldn't see the smoke. The fire is east of the Cochrane exit.

///Charlie

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    We're back from the ride, which was EXCELLENT!

Yes, I'm OK.

Nope, Vinyl26, I didn't start it. If I wanted to make a mushroom cloud, trust me, you'd know.

We were on top of Willson Peak at 1PM and spent a while looking around at the view all over the park, and saw nothing whatsoever. I heard it started around 1:40. We saw lots of planes going over head and suspecting a fire as we were ending the ride, going down Grizzly Gulch.

It looked to me to be just on the other side of the ridge across from Anderson Lake, near Henry Coe HQ. I heard on the radio it was only 75 Acres and no structures threatened, but it could have gone bigger.

We has a nice strong dry wind today, good for cooling us off, but very bad for fires.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

King Of Tooth Tarter

Big Fire

I went on a simple swim ride today. At 2:15pm I was on Willow Ridge Road right around Cross Canyon Trail when my heart sunk as I see this massive plume on the northwestern skyline. That wind isn't going to help things. It's visible from Sunnyvale for christ sakes! Seems pretty big! I hope they can get lucky on this one.

Roy.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you guys made it out safely,

When Carmen and I spotted the smoke about 3pm we thought about your ride and hoped you were all safe.

Now lets hope K-Max, Dustbunny and little bunny are OK. I think they have at least one ridge between them and the fire.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer
    I went on a simple swim ride today. At 2:15pm I was on Willow Ridge Road right around Cross Canyon Trail when my heart sunk as I see this massive plume on the northwestern skyline. That wind isn't going to help things. It's visible from Sunnyvale for christ sakes! Seems pretty big! I hope they can get lucky on this one.

Roy.
    We saw your car in the Hunting Hollow lot as we left, parked next to my white Sable wagon. It was one of those brutal hot days where only us fools would be out there.

Nevertheless, Charlie and I did get a couple others to join us, and, taking it easy, we had a very nice ride in spite of the heat. The other cars you saw were our group.

Resident Curmudgeon
    at 6pm the fire had grown to 500+ acres [for comparison the Stevens Canyon Fire only got to 150 acres] zero containment, high winds dry conditions with heavy fuel load. worst case prediction is 30,000 acres

TANSTAAFL
    It is looking really big, can't see the flames yet, but they are headed this way for sure. Looks like the wind is blowing it south and west....smoke is really billowing....I will post a few more pictures in a bit.

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

Medium?

From my deck

It's hard to figure out from the reports where, exactly it is. The latest on KRON said there were evacuations and cabins threatened. From here it looks like it's straight between here and HQ. From the freeway it looked like it was going up the back of Monument Peak towards HQ.

I don't even want to think about 30000 acres. That's HQ, flat frog, middle ridge, all of it...

Silence! I kill you!

My photo

From Bernal Rd & 101 at around 7:30pm
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    It's hard to figure out from the reports where, exactly it is. The latest on KRON said there were evacuations and cabins threatened. From here it looks like it's straight between here and HQ. From the freeway it looked like it was going up the back of Monument Peak towards HQ.

I don't even want to think about 30000 acres. That's HQ, flat frog, middle ridge, all of it...
    Now that's getting pretty scary.

I sure hope HQ, Middle Ridge, Flat Frog,... survive. It's the best of Henry Coe. I was today thinking of doing a C/D rider shuttle on them down to Hunting Hollow, in a month for the Fall Circus.

I sure hope all those fire fighters can get it contained or pushed away from the best park areas. It'd hurt me badly to see that beautiful area all turned black and dead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Mercury News web site now reports that the fire is "just north of Mt. Sizer". That would put it somewhere near Booze Lake. Given the prevailing winds, this probably means that Blue Ridge and Rock House Ridge are under threat, but that Middle Ridge and Pine Ridge (i.e., HQ) are likely going to be OK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    No photos, but you could see the smoke plume from just outside Merced this afternoon.

TANSTAAFL
    now that it is dark, you can really get a sense of how big the fire is, there is a red glow north where it all started, but it now stretches southa long way, guessing 1-2 miles, and that is the front of the fire I can see off my deck......

Jim
    Last edited by addictionms; 09-04-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson
    The Mercury News web site now reports that the fire is "just north of Mt. Sizer". That would put it somewhere near Booze Lake. Given the prevailing winds, this probably means that Blue Ridge and Rock House Ridge are under threat, but that Middle Ridge and Pine Ridge (i.e., HQ) are likely going to be OK.
    Didn't a fire happen in that area a year ago? Turned out to be started by a broken mirror on the ground.

I wouldn't think there was much left there to burn. Although I heard Rock House Ridge got misssed by the previous fire.

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Mt sizer is at the center of this link:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=37.213...5&z=13&l=0&m=a

HQ is the small rectangle to the left

Paper or plastic?
    Fire must be huge. I could see the smoke on 880 from south Fremont...

Silence! I kill you!
    Ok, who posted this comment on the Merc website?

"I believe this fire was set by equestrians in order to prevent mountain bikers from biking at Coe."
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    just flew in from DFW and came in right past the fire, lots of flames, looked way out of control, was up on the next ridge east of HQ --- YIKES!

mtbr member
    Here's Mt. Sizer from TOPO
    Last edited by jeffh; 09-03-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by chudaman
    looked way out of control, was up on the next ridge east of HQ
    It was certainly not caused by lightning, so that leaves man-made. Right around HQ has the most visitors. Maybe middle ridge will be spared.

It looked much tamer just after dark. I can't see any smoke or orange glow now.

They did a large controlled burn last year on the south side of the road on Manzanita Ridge and there's great access for fire fighters there too.

(crosses fingers selfishly)

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson
    The Mercury News web site now reports that the fire is "just north of Mt. Sizer". .
    I'm pretty sure that was a mistake from the beginning. The radio was saying 2 mi N of Mt. Sizer, but the plume was way south of there from the beginning. I'd hate to think it went that far south that fast. I suppose it's possible. It was pretty windy here in town around 5.

Resident Curmudgeon
    this sucker just exploded per Cal Fire

Lick Fire
    Lick Fire Incident Information:
    Last Updated: September 3, 2007 9:30 pm
    Date/Time Started: September 3, 2007 1:45 pm
    Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE Santa Clara Unit
    County: Santa Clara County
    Acres Burned:
    Containment 0% containment - 1,200 acres
    Phone Numbers (408) 779-0930 (Lick Fire Information)

mtbr member
    it look pretty crazy big while i was riding in Santa Teresa park at around 6-7 pm

More pie please
    Lick Fire
    http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...ncident_id=215

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some satellite info here
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=cgb

It's MODIS (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) refreshed every two hours but it's not much more than tiny red dots on a map.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20577887

Firefighters Battle Wildfire In Henry Coe Park
    KNTV-TV
    Updated: 12:20 a.m. ET Sept. 4, 2007
    MORGAN HILL, Calif. - Firefighters are battling a 700-acre grassfire located between Blue Ridge and Hobbs Roads near Morgan Hill, NBC11 reported.

The blaze broke out at 1:45 p.m.

20 engines, four air tankers, two choppers and five bulldozers were called to the scene. A DC-10 aircraft has been called from southern California. The DC-10 can drop thousands of pounds of fire retardant on to the flames. The aircraft will probably only have time to drop one or two loads Monday before dark, according to NBC11.

Cal Fire said they expect to be fighting the fire for several days if not a week. They said the fire has the potential to burn 30,000 acres.

Cal Fire's Pam Rhoten said anywhere from 20 to 50 cabins were threatened by the fire, which burned in heavy brush and timber.

Rhoten said park visitors were evacuated, although she didn't know how many people were forced to leave.

A battalion chief called the fire serious and said it had the potentail of becoming a major fire.

Smoke from the fire can be seen across the South Bay.

It is just south of Mount Hamilton.

Cal Fire named the fire the Lick Fire, even though it is not close to the Lick Observatory.

Cal Fire said it was burning in the nortwest area of Henry Coe Park east of Morgan Hill.

There is no expected time of containment.

"Looking out the window I can see a big column of heavy smoke," Rhoten said.

NBC11's Chief Meteorologist John Farley said the overnight temperatures at the fire scene will be in the low 60s and he said humidity in the area will increase because of a strong sea breeze.

Farley said Tuesday will remain humid, but he said Wednesday and Thursday temperatures will heat back up and that will increase the fire danger.

The last time this area had a fire was 1961.

mtbr member
    2 miles north of Mt. Sizer would have the fire just outside the park I think.

Medium?

Latest Spooky Pic

16 sec hand-hold on a patio chair back. You can see the cars going up and down E. Dunne Ave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    From "our" place in the Cupertino foothills, Dan's doing a little night time photography. Pics will probably be coming soon... We could see the flames from where we were at earlier this evening.

Hey Buzz Cut, any word on what started the Stevens Creek Canyon fire?
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Taken about 1/2mi in from 101 in San Martin ~8:20pm

-Sp

this sucker just exploded per Cal Fire

Lick Fire
    Acres Burned:
    Phone Numbers (408) 779-0930 (Lick Fire Information)

Medium?

KTVU News

They clearly showed, during the KTVU news, a reporter at HQ, on the road behind the garbage and recycling cans with the barn behind her to the south, and the fire behind that.

That implies that the fire is outside the park to the south in the Nature Concervancy property and that HQ is ok for now. The wind is usually out of the north around here.

It's about showing up.

Nice work Single pivot.

brought it home.

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now.

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look for

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look for a tripod...

Slowest Rider
    I think Ed's passed out on the keyboard with his head on the Submit button.

Can someone call his wife?

Silence! I kill you!
    I plan on heading out to Morgan Hill area tomorow evening to try to get some photos of the smoke. See if I can come up with anything good.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the kind words. no tripod involved

1.3s shutter
    1600iso
    1.8 Aperature lens
    1 small towel, the roof of my truck as a tripod...and a whole lot of luck.

-Sp

That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look for a tripod...

mtbr member
    Here's the Cal Fire Incident Information page on the Lick Fire

Lick Fire
    Acres Burned: 1,200 acres
    Structures Destroyed: 1 Outbuilding
    Threatened: 3 Residence
    Injuries: 2
    Cause: Under Investigation
    Cooperating Agencies: California State Parks, South Santa Clara Fire Protection District, Santa Clara County Fire Department
    Total Fire Personnel: 727 (699 CAL FIRE)
    Fire crews: 26 CAL FIRE
    Engines: 50 CAL FIRE
    Airtankers: 2 CAL FIRE
    Helicopters: 4
    Dozers: 8 CAL FIRE
    Water tenders: 5
    Major Incident Command Team: Incident Command Team #2 will transition in on Tuesday 9/4 at 6 a.m.
    Conditions: The fire is burning within the Henry Coe State Park in a remote location which makes access difficult. Local camp grounds and trails have been evacuated.
    Phone Numbers

Link :

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...ncident_id=215

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    I think Ed's passed out on the keyboard with his head on the Submit button.
    Weird, eh? One click, I swear.

loopy counter

Another pic...

aka dan51
    I wish I could get out there and help put that sucker out.
    Here's my night shot from across the valley just above Fremont Older.

Slowest Rider

2 Miles North of Mt. Sizer

I drew a track from Mt. Sizer to exactly 2 miles North. I also added some of my Henry Coe waypoints for reference. I placed this all in Google Earth, and did a 3D perspective.

You can see HQ on the lower left, Middle Ridge in the middle, and Mt. Sizer on the upper right. Also, Hat Rock is right next to Black Oak Springs trail junction on Rock House Ridge, labeled "HC BOS RH".

For now, this fire looks to be away from the main park trails. I hope it stays that way.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 09-03-2007 at 11:48 PM.

ballbuster

in addition....two words....

self-timer

he who goes without food
    As we drove back monday I got the impression that the fire was not actually in the park a bit too close to 101, however that may have changed

Resident Curmudgeon
    hey the engine from Saratoga Summit made the Mercs online photos of the fire

That makes me smart
    Wow. :^(

Resident Curmudgeon
    over 3000 acres now

Silence! I kill you!
    ABC 7 just reported the fire at 5400 acres and 0 containment
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Resident Curmudgeon
    it just keeps climbing. I just met with my Cal Fire Captain on his way to the fire as one of the command staff. He said that they are now calling it at 8000 acres plus

Paper or plastic?
    it just keeps climbing. I just met with my Cal Fire Captain on his way to the fire as one of the command staff. He said that they are now calling it at 8000 acres plus
    Hopefully, the firefighters can get a handle on the fire by tomorrow evening as conditions get are better. Forecast calls for high temperatures from Wednesday on. This is going to be bad.

Let's ride
    I think CDF reported 10% contained 1/2hr ago.

Point of origin:
    Here

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho

Point of origin:
    Here
    How appropriate...Booze Lake. Focking rednecks. "I gave you six years..."

http://www.wlevey.com/coepark/maps/T...LkThmsAdtn.htm

From the Merky News: "Fire crews are trying to box in the fire north of Bear Mountain, south of Isabelle Valley, east of Hobbs Road and west of the county line."

They'll probably run a D-8 down the ridgeline on Middle Ridge. (sigh)

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho

Point of origin:
    Here
    That location is only 1 mile north of Mt. Sizer. It's the lake on the midpoint of my 2-mile line above.

It's hard to get detailed information on the exact location of the fire. Maybe it's changing a lot and growing anyway. One square mile is 640 acres. So 3000 acres is over 2 miles on a side already.

What's your source? One mile closer puts Mt. Sizer and Hat Rock in jeopordy, and threatens Middle Ridge if it expands a lot.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    One square mile is 640 acres. So 3000 acres is over 2 miles on a side already.
    And 5000 acres is about 3 miles on a side. With the desc from the Merky, take your topo program and draw a 3x3 mi square with the NW corner at the point of origin. The Hat Rock area and all of Blue Ridge are certainly in this area.

The early smoke was heading north, but SinglePivot's photo shows a long fire line.

The lack of good fire maps and aerial photos is frustrating.

BTW, no smoke is visible from here now. It's breezy.

Slowest Rider
    How appropriate...Booze Lake. Focking rednecks. "I gave you six years..."

Careful Ed. The Friday Night Drinker and Shooter clubs monitor this site.

Charlie's nice picture of Booze Lake and area is on that thread from the previous fire on Mt. Sizer . Hopefully, that previous Mt. Sizer fire will make a fire break for this fire.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 09-04-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Totally, and to the max.
    We just got home from Tahoe late last night. My father in law had called us on the way home and let us know about the fire. I didn't think much of it until we got up the hill and saw that East Dunne was closed at the Holiday Lake Estates entrance. When I woke up this morning, I looked up at the ridge but couldn't really see smoke. There was a heavy marin layer rolling along the ridge so I couldn't tell if I was seeing smoke or clouds. When I got down the hill on East Dunne there was a line of engines and trucks from San Jose, CDF, Morgan Hill, Vacaville and Fairfield on the side of the road, I guess waiting for a cue. Then they reported it on the radio that it was at 5000 acres with zero containment. Yikes. It's still a ways from Jackson Oaks but if it gets close enough to threaten the community, there could be some serious problems. I'm curious how this fire will affect wildlife in the area. We already have too many deer on the hill, and I'm hoping no Big Kitties take refuge west of the blaze. Yikes x2.

On a positive note, I got two great rides in this weekend. Spooner/Kingsbury, and then Toad's. Conditions were the best I've experienced. Zero dust. First real rides in over a month. But my knees swear it's been more like three!

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    We just got home from Tahoe late last night. My father in law had called us on the way home and let us know about the fire. I didn't think much of it until we got up the hill and saw that East Dunne was closed at the Holiday Lake Estates entrance. When I woke up this morning, I looked up at the ridge but couldn't really see smoke.
    Thanks for the update K-Max. I was a bit nervous about the fact that you hadn't chimed in yet. Hope they get it handled in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    Conditions were the best I've experienced. Zero dust.
    No shite?! Weird. I woulda figured that there would be tons of dust up there...
    - -benja- -

Your killing my Strava
    Dam...so I guess the trails are closed?

Medium?

From 101 @ Cochrane

The trees about 25% from the left are Monument Peak going over to Frog Lake. The tall puffs of smoke on the right are behind Finley Ridge way south of the park, I'd say 2 miles south of HQ. That implies the fire line is about 5 miles long.

This picture, SinglePivot's picture and the KTVU news shot from last night line up to say the fire has burned in a line from Booze Lake, over Blue Ridge, Middle Ridge and Manzanita Ridge and into the Nature Conservancy parcel south of HQ.

We'll have to wait and see what path it took, but it doesn't look good. Let's hope the 8 bulldozers they have out there show some restraint in the good parts of the park.

Medium?

From the Gilroy Dispatch

The perspective is exaggerated by a long lens, but it's a dramatic shot anyway. Kmax and DustBunny live on the back side of this ridge, between these homes and that smoke.

Several sources, "...expected to double today."

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26
    Dam...so I guess the trails are closed?
    Oh no, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you taking a ride around up there.

E. Dunne is closed 10 miles from the park.

Medium?

KTVU Slideshow

Some locales look familiar, but not enough detail for any real guess about where they were taken: http://www.ktvu.com/slideshow/news/1...=fran&psp=news

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This is a good video news update.

http://video.nbc11.com/player/?id=151733

fc
    IPA will save America

Medium?

Fire Sat overlayed over Google Sat Map

This is quick and dirty using data from a post above:

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=cgb

Red circles are actively burning within 12 hours of 1pm MDT. Orange is active with 24 hours.

With some hypothesizing about scale factors and rotations, I came up with this picture.

1. HQ
    2. Frog Lake
    3. Middle Ridge
    4. Mt. Sizer
    5. Boozer Lake, fire origin
    6. China Hole
    7. Hat Rock, approximate
    8. Los Cruzeros

Feeling a little taller
    From the earlier report of the destroyed outhouse structure, I pictured the one at the top of the climb east of China Hole. Looks like it might be the case.

I guess that means pimpbot will get lost for sure next time...
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    From the earlier report of the destroyed outhouse structure, I pictured the one at the top of the climb east of China Hole. Looks like it might be the case.

I guess that means pimpbot will get lost for sure next time...
    There's another one down in Poverty Flat on the North side of the road that is more directly in the line of fire. The one up top has a pretty wide road as a fire break and I wouldn't think those little huts would be really flammable unless surrounded by grass like the one down in the flat.

loopy counter
    I came up with this picture.
    That is the saddest, most disheartening picture.

Slowest Rider

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    That is the saddest, most disheartening picture.
    I keep trying to find a way to not believe that myself. I don't want my heart broken.

Everything I've been hearing on the news says it's more north (2 miles north of Sizer, north of Booze Lake, north of bear mountain,...). But the satellite link indeed looks to put the fire right where Ed has it. I try to hope that poor resolution satellite map is wrong.

One of my best rides ever was the Four Ridge Ride with Fast Eddy and many others. I use a high resolution version of this picture going down Rock House Ridge as the background on my large widescreen LCD. It still gives me a delight every time I see it. On Ed's plot, this view is just below "7" looking south towards "8", at the current epicenter of the fire. If Ed's right, this beautiful scene is now all ash and black.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Definitely a late chime in here, but we could see the plume from all the way over in Redwood City, on our way back across the Dumbarton and heading South.

Thanks Buzz for updating everything, and Zorg, sorry to call you like that, but I didn't have Larry's number, and was worried about those out there. Thanks again for taking the call when we were en route to Gilroy.

Aqnyone with alergies, I'm sure you're having just as much fun as me right now.

Buzz, keep the updates coming, and yeah, it's pretty certain the ride's calceled, until things clear out.

(Was planning on visiting SBC and dragging some friends out for a spin.)

just along for the ride
    What is black will come back, fire restores the ecosystem do not deride it. Pray for a nice long semi wet sweet winter it will recover. We had a 100,000 acre blaze here in the 90's trails back better than ever but it did take a year to recover

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Thanks for the update K-Max. I was a bit nervous about the fact that you hadn't chimed in yet. Hope they get it handled in the coming days.

No shite?! Weird. I woulda figured that there would be tons of dust up there...
    Rained cats and dogs on Friday, first rain all summer and conditions were off the hook.

Sure hope most of the good riding is spared at Coe, I was looking forward to getting back there soon.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yesterday at about 3PM

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Medium?

7pm update, more accurate overlay

I spent a bit more time aligning and locating the control points. Don't shoot the messenger. I assure you I'm as depressed about this as anyone.

All this is burned, for sure:

The whole south side of Blue Ridge, all of Rock House Ridge, the whole Coyote Cr Valley leading north to Bear Fvcking Mtn, Cougar Trail and the whole northeast side of Manzanita Ridge, all of Poverty Flat Rd leading up and over Jackass Pass, Jackass Tr, Creekside Tr, China Hole, China Hole Tr (both sides before all is done, I'm sure), The Narrows, Lost Springs Tr right up to Mahoney Meadows Rd.

Since the last update the main front of the fire is heading east up Willow Ridge towards Sada's Pines and the wrecking ball. Even if the wind dies down it will still head uphill.

It looks like Flat Frog, Frog Lake and Middle Ridge are pretty safe for now. If the wind turns tomorrow the fire may turn back on itself and be easy pickin's for the air crews.

The little sub-fire that burned southwest of HQ looks like it could have gotten much worse. That's what I saw burning on the KTVU news last night.

There are now yellow spots that have been cool for more than 24 hours, orange has been cool for 12 hours and red is active fire within 12 hours.

The labels are the same as the other map, but very accurately placed this time. I left Anderson Lake in for perspective.

1. HQ
    2. Frog Lake
    3. Middle Ridge
    4. Mt. Sizer
    5. Booze Lake
    6. China Hole
    7. Hat Rock
    8. Los Cruzeros

he who goes without food
    Uh all I can say is that really sucks!.

To think I was there just minutes before it all started.

More pie please
    7pm update, more accurate overlay - I spent a bit more time aligning and locating the control points. Don't shoot the messenger. I assure you I'm as depressed about this as anyone.

All this is burned, for sure:

The whole south side of Blue Ridge, all of Rock House Ridge, the whole Coyote Cr Valley leading north to Bear Fvcking Mtn, Cougar Trail and the whole northeast side of Manzanita Ridge, all of Poverty Flat Rd leading up and over Jackass Pass, Jackass Tr, Creekside Tr, China Hole, China Hole Tr (both sides before all is done, I'm sure), The Narrows, Lost Springs Tr right up to Mahoney Meadows Rd.

Since the last update the main front of the fire is heading east up Willow Ridge towards Sada's Pines and the wrecking ball. Even if the wind dies down it will still head uphill.

It looks like Flat Frog, Frog Lake and Middle Ridge are pretty safe for now. If the wind turns tomorrow the fire may turn back on itself and be easy pickin's for the air crews.

The little sub-fire that burned southwest of HQ looks like it could have gotten much worse. That's what I saw burning on the KTVU news last night.

There are now yellow spots that have been cool for more than 24 hours, orange has been cool for 12 hours and red is active fire within 12 hours.

The labels are the same as the other map, but very accurately placed this time. I left Anderson Lake in for perspective.
    Awesome job Eddy. I don't know how you are doing this graphic (using a "layer" from the Acrobat version and aligning with Coyote Creek?) but your assessment looks accurate to me. I'll be curious to see what you do with this morning's info:

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/fire...07248_0300.jpg

Looks like it skipped over Bear Mountain and into the Orestimba Wilderness*.

(Bookmark here: http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=cgb for map source.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* I wonder if California Wilderness Area rules allow mechanize fire-fighting? My understanding that mechanize fire-fighting is not allowed in Federal Wilderness Area. And Plim was just telling me on Saturday that the California Code for a Wilderness Area is by reference to Federal Code.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    What is black will come back, fire restores the ecosystem do not deride it. Pray for a nice long semi wet sweet winter it will recover. We had a 100,000 acre blaze here in the 90's trails back better than ever but it did take a year to recover
    True, I'm concerned about the firebreaks that may be made with bulldozers. Those will leave a scar.

This morning, one of the TV stations (NBC11?) mentioned that they had a live video stream from a helicopter for 2 hours on their web site yesterday. That might be something to surf around for today.

In a TV interview on one of the morning news shows, a fire fighter was complaining about the pine cones from the Blue Pines; burning pine cones will fall from the trees and roll past the fire fighters and start a new fire behind them! I already hate pine cones 'cuase they make me crash, now here's another reason to hate them.

///Charlie
    Last edited by Skyline35; 09-05-2007 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    True, I'm concerned about the firebreaks that may be made with bulldozers. Those will leave a scar.
    I think what your really worried about is that it will now take more time to ride all those new firebreaks before you and Roy can claim to have ridden the entire Park
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Looks like the fire made a big jump to the East last night after looking at the Modis Active Fire Mapping Program.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/fire...07248_0300.pdf

Your killing my Strava
    Any other news? On my way to work this morning I didnt see any smoke from the hills?

mtbr member

MODIS data for Google Earth

With apologies: Major geek factor, but may be useful if you want to look at GPS tracks and satellite fire info together.

The MODIS fire data is in zipped kml (kmz) format at this activefiremaps link. Look for Continental United States and the KMZ Download link.

You can open the kmz file in Google Earth. For motionbased.com users, if you have Coe activities already uploaded, you can export the activity as a GPX, then open in Google Earth. That lets you open both the MODIS fire info and the Coe tracks in Google Earth.

The ActiveFireMaps site says the MODIS kmz data is updated hourly. Per Jeff's post, it does look as if the fire is farther east this morning. I'd post a pic of the Google Earth view here, but that's the part I can't figure out (it's a user problem).
    Last edited by Borat Sagdiyev; 09-05-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: GPX files can be opened directly in Google Earth w/o conversion to kml
    Jagshemash!!!

Totally, and to the max.
    Nice work, Ed. When I woke up this morning I looked out into the canyon. There's a cloud of smoke sitting down there. I imagine the whole canyon may fill up with smoke and creep into our house. Hopefully not. As I drove down the hill, I looked toward Gilroy. It is completely engulfed in smoke. It looked like SF on a foggy day. Driving into work, I noticed that the fire is progressing north. There was a pretty large plume of smoke rising from the hills south of Cochrane. With the winds changing direction today, the firefighters are going to have a tough time keeping it from spreading north.

Good luck Cal Fire!.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35
    I'll be curious to see what you do with this morning's info:

Looks like it skipped over Bear Mountain and into the Orestimba Wilderness*.

* I wonder if California Wilderness Area rules allow mechanize fire-fighting? My understanding that mechanize fire-fighting is not allowed in Federal Wilderness Area. And Plim was just telling me on Saturday that the California Code for a Wilderness Area is by reference to Federal Code.

I'm replacing my water heater today, so no photoshop magic. As I view that data it looks to me like it's burning due south of Mississippi Lake in the canyon where Mississippi Cr Tr is and probably straddling Co Line Rd. There's a lot of smoke today, blowing SSW. If the wind kicks up that would take the fire past Pacheco Creek and into that giant hole you guys are always hike-a-biking for god-knows-what reason. The fire fighters are going to love that faquer.

If the wilderness catches they'll limit fighting to hand tools and water drops. No dozers, chain saws or pumper trucks.

mtbr member
    Wide Google Earth image with data from 9:00 AM today at this link.
    Jagshemash!!!

That makes me smart
    Any good aerial views of Cali? We're smoked out here in Stockton, and I'd like to see if it's coming from the Coe fire.

fp

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev
    I'd post a pic of the Google Earth view here, but that's the part I can't figure out (it's a user problem).
    That would save a lot of time over my method. shift-printscreen to copy the screen then paste the image into photoshop, gimp, or even MS Office. I use office, which sucks because you have to adjust the image properties to 100% scale, then save as a web page which will give you a jpg. You still have to crop and scale it to post it here.

The cool thing about viewing it in GEarth is that you can really zoom in and see what's what.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks for the .kmz link

Very interesting, Borat. Thanks for posting.

-Nullmod

mtbr member
    The cool thing about viewing it in GEarth is that you can really zoom in and see what's what.
    I posted a link to a jpg above with 9AM data, but it's just a lat/lon grid with part of BigLarry's Labor Day Coe track visible at the bottom (lifted it from motionbased.com). It doesn't have your waymarks, so it adds some info but also loses a bunch. Maybe someone with good Coe waymarks will add them and post, or you could add yours later on. Water heater, ugh. I went through that recently and it turned into a 4 day job.
    Jagshemash!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Any good aerial views of Cali? We're smoked out here in Stockton, and I'd like to see if it's coming from the Coe fire.

fp
    National Weather Service has a sat pic at http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/satl.php (try Visible 1km). Java is required for the "Visible 1km loop" but it shows smoke blowing south today.
    Jagshemash!!!

Silence! I kill you!
    According to NBC11, they state the fire was human caused and was 11,000 acres by 8am (1/3 size of San Fran).

Equipment wise they've got "155 engines, 24 bulldozers, 34 crews, nine air-tankers and eight helicopters, including two Nevada National Guard and three California National Guard helicopters. About 1,298 firefighters have been deployed to combat the blaze."

Article:

http://www.nbc11.com/news/14047999/d...l?dl=mainclick
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1