Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Resident Curmudgeon

Fire in Henry Coe

not sure on the size but they pretty much just stripped down the CAL Fire engines from Santa Cruz County to head that way post haste [code 3] (6 engines and a Battlion Chief) to suppliment the Santa Clara Cal Fire Rescources

Fire is accessing the park via E Dunn ave from 101.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Paper or plastic?
    Hope that BigLarry is okay.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Maybe he started it??? He was going to the Gilroy side. I am sure he is fine

Silence! I kill you!
    I was leaving my grandparents house and saw the smoke. Here is what I got from the SJ Merc (For what its worth, it may not be correct)

Amid breezy conditions, firefighters this afternoon were scrambling to fight a brush fire that quickly scorched 200 acres outside of Morgan Hill near Henry Coe State Park, authorities said.

Crews are using 10 Cal Fire engines, two helicopters and the DC-10 Air Tanker to battle the Lick Fire. No homes or buildings are currently threatened.

Bay Area residents reported thick plumes of smoke billowing out over the ridge line and traffic on Highway 101 between Gilroy and Morgan Hill had slowed.

"It is serious," said county Battalion Chief Scott Jalbert. "This has the potential of being a major fire."

Jalbert said the fire was spreading quickly thanks to heavy vegetation in the area.

"It is a really big plume of smoke," said Saratoga resident Robert Berger, who could see the cloud of smoke from his home. "It is pretty major. It looks like a mini-mushroom cloud."
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Resident Curmudgeon
    Henry Coe State Park at 15:50 9/3/07

Shots taken from my Fire Station looking east across the Santa Clara Valley to the Diablo Range just south of Mt Hamilton and Lick Observatory

30+ miles as the crow flies

Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Dirt Abuser
    Noticed that plume of smoke at 3pm when I got out of the house today... Looks like quite a blaze... Weather report mentioned this morning that it's going to get warmer as the week progresses...

TANSTAAFL
    taken from my deck.....looks big.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by addictionms; 09-03-2007 at 05:12 PM.
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

Resident Curmudgeon
    it's somewhere between 200 & 400 acres and growing with zero containment

Too Much Fun

Yup, looks bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut
    it's somewhere between 200 & 400 acres and growing with zero containment
    Just saw it on the news. The big jet tanker is en route. They said winds are up and will stay up which won't help things.

And its been waaay hot and waaaay dry. Not good.
    - -benja- -

More pie please
    Here's how it looked from Hwy 101 @ 4:08pm:

And no, BigLarry's group didn't have anything to do with it!!!!!!!!! It was hot, dry, and windy
    at Coe. When we started seeing the CDF planes flying over, we talked about how this
    would be a really bad day for a fire. We were at the Hunting Hollow end of the Park and
    couldn't see the smoke. The fire is east of the Cochrane exit.

///Charlie

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    We're back from the ride, which was EXCELLENT!

Yes, I'm OK.

Nope, Vinyl26, I didn't start it. If I wanted to make a mushroom cloud, trust me, you'd know.

We were on top of Willson Peak at 1PM and spent a while looking around at the view all over the park, and saw nothing whatsoever. I heard it started around 1:40. We saw lots of planes going over head and suspecting a fire as we were ending the ride, going down Grizzly Gulch.

It looked to me to be just on the other side of the ridge across from Anderson Lake, near Henry Coe HQ. I heard on the radio it was only 75 Acres and no structures threatened, but it could have gone bigger.

We has a nice strong dry wind today, good for cooling us off, but very bad for fires.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

King Of Tooth Tarter

Big Fire

I went on a simple swim ride today. At 2:15pm I was on Willow Ridge Road right around Cross Canyon Trail when my heart sunk as I see this massive plume on the northwestern skyline. That wind isn't going to help things. It's visible from Sunnyvale for christ sakes! Seems pretty big! I hope they can get lucky on this one.

Roy.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you guys made it out safely,

When Carmen and I spotted the smoke about 3pm we thought about your ride and hoped you were all safe.

Now lets hope K-Max, Dustbunny and little bunny are OK. I think they have at least one ridge between them and the fire.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by plymmer
    I went on a simple swim ride today. At 2:15pm I was on Willow Ridge Road right around Cross Canyon Trail when my heart sunk as I see this massive plume on the northwestern skyline. That wind isn't going to help things. It's visible from Sunnyvale for christ sakes! Seems pretty big! I hope they can get lucky on this one.

Roy.
    We saw your car in the Hunting Hollow lot as we left, parked next to my white Sable wagon. It was one of those brutal hot days where only us fools would be out there.

Nevertheless, Charlie and I did get a couple others to join us, and, taking it easy, we had a very nice ride in spite of the heat. The other cars you saw were our group.

Resident Curmudgeon
    at 6pm the fire had grown to 500+ acres [for comparison the Stevens Canyon Fire only got to 150 acres] zero containment, high winds dry conditions with heavy fuel load. worst case prediction is 30,000 acres

TANSTAAFL
    It is looking really big, can't see the flames yet, but they are headed this way for sure. Looks like the wind is blowing it south and west....smoke is really billowing....I will post a few more pictures in a bit.

Jim
    "It is a bad sign when people stop identifying themselves with the county and start identifying with a group."

Medium?

From my deck

It's hard to figure out from the reports where, exactly it is. The latest on KRON said there were evacuations and cabins threatened. From here it looks like it's straight between here and HQ. From the freeway it looked like it was going up the back of Monument Peak towards HQ.

I don't <i>even</i> want to think about 30000 acres. That's HQ, flat frog, middle ridge, all of it...

Silence! I kill you!

My photo

From Bernal Rd & 101 at around 7:30pm
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    It's hard to figure out from the reports where, exactly it is. The latest on KRON said there were evacuations and cabins threatened. From here it looks like it's straight between here and HQ. From the freeway it looked like it was going up the back of Monument Peak towards HQ.

I don't even want to think about 30000 acres. That's HQ, flat frog, middle ridge, all of it...
    Now that's getting pretty scary.

I sure hope HQ, Middle Ridge, Flat Frog,... survive. It's the best of Henry Coe. I was today thinking of doing a C/D rider shuttle on them down to Hunting Hollow, in a month for the Fall Circus.

I sure hope all those fire fighters can get it contained or pushed away from the best park areas. It'd hurt me badly to see that beautiful area all turned black and dead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Mercury News web site now reports that the fire is "just north of Mt. Sizer". That would put it somewhere near Booze Lake. Given the prevailing winds, this probably means that Blue Ridge and Rock House Ridge are under threat, but that Middle Ridge and Pine Ridge (i.e., HQ) are likely going to be OK.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    No photos, but you could see the smoke plume from just outside Merced this afternoon.

TANSTAAFL
    now that it is dark, you can really get a sense of how big the fire is, there is a red glow north where it all started, but it now stretches southa long way, guessing 1-2 miles, and that is the front of the fire I can see off my deck......

Jim
    Last edited by addictionms; 09-04-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson
    The Mercury News web site now reports that the fire is "just north of Mt. Sizer". That would put it somewhere near Booze Lake. Given the prevailing winds, this probably means that Blue Ridge and Rock House Ridge are under threat, but that Middle Ridge and Pine Ridge (i.e., HQ) are likely going to be OK.
    Didn't a fire happen in that area a year ago? Turned out to be started by a broken mirror on the ground.

I wouldn't think there was much left there to burn. Although I heard Rock House Ridge got misssed by the previous fire.

I'm disrespectful to dirt
    Mt sizer is at the center of this link:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=37.213...5&z=13&l=0&m=a

HQ is the small rectangle to the left

Paper or plastic?
    Fire must be huge. I could see the smoke on 880 from south Fremont...
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Silence! I kill you!
    Ok, who posted this comment on the Merc website?

"I believe this fire was set by equestrians in order to prevent mountain bikers from biking at Coe."
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    just flew in from DFW and came in right past the fire, lots of flames, looked way out of control, was up on the next ridge east of HQ --- YIKES!

mtbr member
    Here's Mt. Sizer from TOPO
    Last edited by jeffh; 09-03-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by chudaman
    looked way out of control, was up on the next ridge east of HQ
    It was certainly not caused by lightning, so that leaves man-made. Right around HQ has the most visitors. Maybe middle ridge will be spared.

It looked much tamer just after dark. I can't see any smoke or orange glow now.

They did a large controlled burn last year on the south side of the road on Manzanita Ridge and there's great access for fire fighters there too.

(crosses fingers selfishly)

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by finlayson
    The Mercury News web site now reports that the fire is "just north of Mt. Sizer". .
    I'm pretty sure that was a mistake from the beginning. The radio was saying 2 mi N of Mt. Sizer, but the plume was way south of there from the beginning. I'd hate to think it went that far south that fast. I suppose it's possible. It was pretty windy here in town around 5.

Resident Curmudgeon
    this sucker just exploded per Cal Fire

Lick Fire
    Lick Fire Incident Information:
    Last Updated: September 3, 2007 9:30 pm
    Date/Time Started: September 3, 2007 1:45 pm
    Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE Santa Clara Unit
    County: Santa Clara County
    Acres Burned:
    Containment 0% containment - 1,200 acres
    Phone Numbers (408) 779-0930 (Lick Fire Information)

mtbr member
    it look pretty crazy big while i was riding in Santa Teresa park at around 6-7 pm

More pie please
    Lick Fire
    http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...ncident_id=215

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some satellite info here
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=cgb

It's MODIS (Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) refreshed every two hours but it's not much more than tiny red dots on a map.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20577887

Firefighters Battle Wildfire In Henry Coe Park
    KNTV-TV
    Updated: 12:20 a.m. ET Sept. 4, 2007
    MORGAN HILL, Calif. - Firefighters are battling a 700-acre grassfire located between Blue Ridge and Hobbs Roads near Morgan Hill, NBC11 reported.

The blaze broke out at 1:45 p.m.

20 engines, four air tankers, two choppers and five bulldozers were called to the scene. A DC-10 aircraft has been called from southern California. The DC-10 can drop thousands of pounds of fire retardant on to the flames. The aircraft will probably only have time to drop one or two loads Monday before dark, according to NBC11.

Cal Fire said they expect to be fighting the fire for several days if not a week. They said the fire has the potential to burn 30,000 acres.

Cal Fire's Pam Rhoten said anywhere from 20 to 50 cabins were threatened by the fire, which burned in heavy brush and timber.

Rhoten said park visitors were evacuated, although she didn't know how many people were forced to leave.

A battalion chief called the fire serious and said it had the potentail of becoming a major fire.

Smoke from the fire can be seen across the South Bay.

It is just south of Mount Hamilton.

Cal Fire named the fire the Lick Fire, even though it is not close to the Lick Observatory.

Cal Fire said it was burning in the nortwest area of Henry Coe Park east of Morgan Hill.

There is no expected time of containment.

"Looking out the window I can see a big column of heavy smoke," Rhoten said.

NBC11's Chief Meteorologist John Farley said the overnight temperatures at the fire scene will be in the low 60s and he said humidity in the area will increase because of a strong sea breeze.

Farley said Tuesday will remain humid, but he said Wednesday and Thursday temperatures will heat back up and that will increase the fire danger.

The last time this area had a fire was 1961.

mtbr member
    2 miles north of Mt. Sizer would have the fire just outside the park I think.

Medium?

Latest Spooky Pic

16 sec hand-hold on a patio chair back. You can see the cars going up and down E. Dunne Ave.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    From "our" place in the Cupertino foothills, Dan's doing a little night time photography. Pics will probably be coming soon... We could see the flames from where we were at earlier this evening.

Hey Buzz Cut, any word on what started the Stevens Creek Canyon fire?
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Taken about 1/2mi in from 101 in San Martin ~8:20pm

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut
    this sucker just exploded per Cal Fire

Lick Fire
    Acres Burned:
    Phone Numbers (408) 779-0930 (Lick Fire Information)

Medium?

KTVU News

They clearly showed, during the KTVU news, a reporter at HQ, on the road behind the garbage and recycling cans with the barn behind her to the south, and the fire behind that.

That implies that the fire is outside the park to the south in the Nature Concervancy property and that HQ is ok for now. The wind is usually out of the north around here.

It's about showing up.

Nice work Single pivot.

brought it home.

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now.

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look for

Medium?
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look for a tripod...

Slowest Rider
    I think Ed's passed out on the keyboard with his head on the Submit button.

Can someone call his wife?

Silence! I kill you!
    I plan on heading out to Morgan Hill area tomorow evening to try to get some photos of the smoke. See if I can come up with anything good.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the kind words. no tripod involved

1.3s shutter
    1600iso
    1.8 Aperature lens
    1 small towel, the roof of my truck as a tripod...and a whole lot of luck.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    That is a badass photo. I want to delete mine now. I'm going to look for a tripod...

mtbr member
    Here's the Cal Fire Incident Information page on the Lick Fire

Lick Fire
    Acres Burned: 1,200 acres
    Structures Destroyed: 1 Outbuilding
    Threatened: 3 Residence
    Injuries: 2
    Cause: Under Investigation
    Cooperating Agencies: California State Parks, South Santa Clara Fire Protection District, Santa Clara County Fire Department
    Total Fire Personnel: 727 (699 CAL FIRE)
    Fire crews: 26 CAL FIRE
    Engines: 50 CAL FIRE
    Airtankers: 2 CAL FIRE
    Helicopters: 4
    Dozers: 8 CAL FIRE
    Water tenders: 5
    Major Incident Command Team: Incident Command Team #2 will transition in on Tuesday 9/4 at 6 a.m.
    Conditions: The fire is burning within the Henry Coe State Park in a remote location which makes access difficult. Local camp grounds and trails have been evacuated.
    Phone Numbers

Link :

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents...ncident_id=215

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast