Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Finally - A Marin Reporter gets the story right about Mountain Bike Access in Marin!

This is refreshing. The Marin IJ could learn a thing or two about researching a story and sticking to the facts. Check it out!

Bikers want more as county backtracks on trails | The Point Reyes Light

And if you like this story please take the time to check out our new website.

Home - Access4Bikes

mtbr member
    The Point Reyes Light has won the Pulitzer Prize for Meritorious Public Service.

The "I.J." probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    This is refreshing. The Marin IJ could learn a thing or two about researching a story and sticking to the facts. Check it out!

Bikers want more as county backtracks on trails | The Point Reyes Light

And if you like this story please take the time to check out our new website.

Home - Access4Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    “This plan is in its final stages after a three-year ordeal,” he continued. “To have an inflammatory presentation seemed confusing and deliberate. It seemed to be a convenient distraction to pull attention away from our numbers.”

^nice

"According to a survey of trail users by the parks department, nearly one-quarter of users are mountain bikers, compared to 0.4 percent use by equestrians. But bikers have access to only one-quarter of narrow trails, while 91 percent are available to horses, Mr. Huffman said."

^and this is why real change is not only possible, but an inevitable certainty--the only question is timing

****, hard to believe I moved to a place that decriminalized dope before mountain biking, crazy place this county...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad h View Post
    bikers have access to only one-quarter of narrow trails,
    There is no way it is this high! If we had legal access to 25% of the overall ST, I don't think there would be much of an access issue.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Very good article (makes it all the more obvious what an embarassment the IJ is). But I would like to know where are those "one-quarter of narrow trails" to which mountain bikers supposedly have legal access. I suspect it is more like 2%.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Our numbers are pretty accurate. We took them right off of county maps and compared them to Strava data and our own GPS work. Of course, social trails or non-system trails are not incorporated into this data. Here is a number you might agree with:

MMWD: 0% single track access for mountain bikes. ZERO PERCENT! A4B finds this fact outrageous and will be seeing new leaders in the 2014 election. Stay tuned to that.

There are more good trail statistics here:

Accessibility - Access4Bikes

I like mtn biking, too
    vernonator - I am really impressed by the A4B website! The "facts" and trail wish list are awesome sections. I am looking forward to the day when I can manage to get up to Marin, ride Tamarancho (for the first time) and get an A4B T at Gestalt Haus. Keep up the good work!
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Drop A4B a message on our FB page if you get up here. We'll meet up at Gestalt and get your report of Tamarancho, only the best 10 miles of trail in the Bay Area. Ok, I'm biased, I helped build it.

mtbr member
    Great article, nice work Vernon
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

It's about showing up.
    Confrontation doesn't have to be outrageous but succeeds by clarity and fine measure.
    I don't rattle.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    The beat downs will continue and will get more severe.

Name:  7emytu6u.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  143.4 KB
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Finally - A Marin Reporter gets the story right about Mountain Bike Access in...

We need to get younger board members into the water district; it needs major reform. They've been ripping up my neighborhood streets and hardly did any public outreach, yet they have time to harass mountain bikers. They won't even remove the pipes they left on my property.

We need to look at innovative solutions like allowing bikes on certain days or times;. 25 percent of users should get a minimum of 25 percent usage.

mtbr member
    A4B wants alternate use days, and it was brought up in the RTMP meetings, but the Marin Open Space and the Marin Horse Council are against it for some stupid reason.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Finally - A Marin Reporter gets the story right about Mountain Bike Access in...

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    A4B wants alternate use days, and it was brought up in the RTMP meetings, but the Marin Open Space and the Marin Horse Council are against it for some stupid reason.
    What reason? This would solve everything over night. We could even take Tuesdays and Thursdays, so weekends would be unaffected for the hikers and pony princesses.

I'm really diggin it!

Finally - A Marin Reporter gets the story right about Mountain Bike Access in Marin!

The best stat I think that represents the lack of opportunities for off road cycling in Marin is: 23 miles of narrow trail out of 346 are open to bikes. That only includes official trails.

One should note carefully the plan for social trails pending the RTMP plan chapter 4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I wish I knew why, I don't get at all. I have never seen anything like it. They talked about redundant trails too. Maybe letting Mtbers have a bikes only trail, that we would maintain etc. Some lady got up and said that is a bad idea because it would be to confusing and she may end up on a trail with bikes and it would be too dangerous.
    The head of the Marin wHorse Council wrote a letter and said that bikes should not be allowed on any trails with with blind corners(pretty much every single track ever made). They want it all and want bikes only on fireroads with a 15 mile top speed, until you see a horse then get off your bike and bend over.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have some experience with odd/even policy-making and am happy to share it if you pm me SSHack, Giantsfan, and Davey.
    John S

mtbr member
    The reason MCOSD had thrown the odd/even day idea out the window is because they claim that the policy is unenforceable. Apparently, the eight rangers that are to be hired with our Measure A funds aren't enough. Make no mistake about it, Dahl wants to create an enforcement state in open space, specifically targeting mountain bikers.

And great work Vernon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Maybe we should start documenting trail damage done by horses. Well, and never ever vote to increase funding ether. The more money government has, the more problems they cause.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Maybe we should start documenting trail damage done by horses. Well, and never ever vote to increase funding ether. The more money government has, the more problems they cause.
    I don't think that Linda Dahl would care. She is anti bike all the way. She started the RTMP meeting by showing a bunch of jumps in Mill Valley that had been there for at least 17 years, acting like they just popped up this week. The cry that went up from the horse ladies was hilarious, it was like they showed a puppy getting stomped on.
    She finished the slide show by putting up a picture of a cute little badger peeking out of his hole, then left it up for the whole meeting saying, this is what we are trying to protect. Total bullsh*t.

The horse people and environmentalists then got up and said how scared they are of bikes and how dangerous, blah blah blah

Paper or plastic?
    Equestrians don't want alternate days, because that means losing 50% of the access they currently have. Dahl is a @#R#$@#$ (choose your epithet of choice). She's dumb and worthless. Best thing to do is to give money to A4B so that they can help decent board members get elected.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I'm so over horses and the amount of resources they take to 'maintain'. What is the environmental impact of 3 ton luxury horse trailers on our local roads? How about the barren hillsides used for horse pastures that are all too often next to streams and creeks? My biggest pet peeve are the riders that have very little control of these beasts. If your horse cannot pass by me standing with my bike on the side of the fire road without getting skittish, either you need to give up riding or your horse shouldn't be on public trails! Want to see the real impact that repeated horse use gets? Just go to point reyes and you'll be blessed with miles upon miles of 12-18' trail trenches!

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    The reason MCOSD had thrown the odd/even day idea out the window is because they claim that the policy is unenforceable. Apparently, the eight rangers that are to be hired with our Measure A funds aren't enough. Make no mistake about it, Dahl wants to create an enforcement state in open space, specifically targeting mountain bikers.

And great work Vernon!
    I have it, on good source, that this hiring of 8 new rangers is BS.
    Just another diversion tactic to keep bikes off the trails.
    The lies continue.
    Good Luck out there.
    G
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    I have it, on good source, that this hiring of 8 new rangers is BS.
    Just another diversion tactic to keep bikes off the trails.
    The lies continue.
    Good Luck out there.
    G
    Hmm, interesting; I believe that is also news to most of the main MTB advocates in Marin. The point of my post was to point out that Dahl is just another irrational, anti-bike zealot that will stop at nothing until we have nothing left to ride. No matter how logical of a solution we propose to fix the current 'issues', it will be regarded as junk by those in power for some obscure reason. At least, writing off the even/odd day trail access idea because it is 'unenforceable' seems like an odd reason to me.

Happy trails!

-Ryan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAYR751 View Post
    Hmm, interesting; I believe that is also news to most of the main MTB advocates in Marin. The point of my post was to point out that Dahl is just another irrational, anti-bike zealot that will stop at nothing until we have nothing left to ride. No matter how logical of a solution we propose to fix the current 'issues', it will be regarded as junk by those in power for some obscure reason. At least, writing off the even/odd day trail access idea because it is 'unenforceable' seems like an odd reason to me.

Happy trails!

-Ryan
    I agree with every thing you just wrote, she's crazy and needs to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast