Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    51

    Favorite Skeggs Loop ?

    Anyone have a favorite loop at Skeggs? I havent ridden there in quite awhile and am planning a early dawn patrol on Sun. im looking for a 2-3 hour ride. Any suggestions

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    DREAM RIDE

    Gate One to Fir to Hippie to Timberview to Sierra Morena to Torco to Gordon Mill to Sierra Morena to Paronia to Steam Donkey to Clapping Monkey to Spring Board to Garbage to Gary's Short Cut to Heavens Gate to Lawrence Creek to Fenceline to Jim Perry to Challenger to Virginia Mill to South Leaf to New Connector to 914 to North Leaf to El Corte de Madera to Resolution to Fir to Chicken Bone to Methuselah to Manzanita to Rick's Downfall to Timberview to Thunderdome to Hard Left to Gordon Mill to Skidrow to Ranger Bypass to Lawrence Creek to Spring Board to Library to Spring Board to Gary's Short Cut to Boiler to Gordon Mill to Cross Over to Cross Cut to Timbervie to Manzanita to Fir to Twelve Pack to Fir to A&W to Airplane to Resolution to Side Winder to No Excusses to No Excusses to Freefall to 914 to North Leaf to El Corte de Madera to Tafoni to Three Rags to El Corte de Madera to Resolution to Fir to Parachute to Methuselah to Giant Salamander to Ski Run to Drano Squared to Timberview to Gordon Mill to 10/21 to Vodoo to Spring Board to High Five to Gary's Short Cut to Lawrence Creek to Heart Pop to Over Budget to Gary's SC to Under Budget to Roller Coaster to Lawrence Creek to Gordon Mill to Sierra Morena to Nose Break to Devils Stair Case to Gordon Mill to Sierra Morena to the Intensive Care Unit at Stanford

    Hope you enjoy the ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    532
    I start at the CM01, ride Sierra Morena to Steam Donkey, Crosscut, Crossover, up Timberview, up Manzanita, continue on Fir to Resolution, down Resolution, up Tafoni, then Fir back to CM01.

    Ideally I'd start at CM02 so I could end on a quick zip down Sierra Morena, but I like parking at Skeggs .

  4. #4
    formerly Gobike69
    Reputation: Big Daddio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    346

    Don't Listen

    To Trail Doc. He's a bitter old man who will lead you astray from that path of righteousness. Although he's been known to lead some killer rides
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

  5. #5
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBeat
    I start at the CM01, ride Sierra Morena to Steam Donkey, Crosscut, Crossover, up Timberview, up Manzanita, continue on Fir to Resolution, down Resolution, up Tafoni, then Fir back to CM01.

    Ideally I'd start at CM02 so I could end on a quick zip down Sierra Morena, but I like parking at Skeggs .
    +1, (with CM02 as start). Great fun!

    "I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

  6. #6
    Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Reputation: ddraewwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    My favoite "loop" has changed. I used to prefer the Res/N. Leaf side but not anymore (Meth takes the fun out of it).

    So....revised. Skeggs CM01>Tafoni>Manzanita (down)>LT Timberview>RT crosscut>up Gordon Mill>down lower Steam>up Gordon Mill>out CM03>HWY 35 to Bear Gulch Rd>CM05 to Blue Blossom>Spring Board>Blue Blossom again!!!!>Gordon Mill>Sierra Morena>CM01>BEEEEEEEEER! The last part is most important....can't skip.

    You could cut out the road part by going up Spring board from the bottom of Steam.....but that is a grunting uphill. Personally, I like doing the least work possible for the most fun possible....that's just me though

  7. #7
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,735

    Ride duration?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    My favoite "loop" has changed. I used to prefer the Res/N. Leaf side but not anymore (Meth takes the fun out of it).

    So....revised. Skeggs CM01>Tafoni>Manzanita (down)>LT Timberview>RT crosscut>up Gordon Mill>down lower Steam>up Gordon Mill>out CM03>HWY 35 to Bear Gulch Rd>CM05 to Blue Blossom>Spring Board>Blue Blossom again!!!!>Gordon Mill>Sierra Morena>CM01>BEEEEEEEEER! The last part is most important....can't skip.

    You could cut out the road part by going up Spring board from the bottom of Steam.....but that is a grunting uphill. Personally, I like doing the least work possible for the most fun possible....that's just me though
    Traildoc's looks like a week long excursion, took me 5 min. to read it all
    What's your route envolve for some intermediate riders??

    Thanks in advance.

  8. #8
    IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,605
    Wow! We have a Skeggs historian among us.

  9. #9
    ~~~~~~~
    Reputation: Dirt_Diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,289
    from my house- down blue blossom, gordon mill, crossover, crosscut, up timberview, up manzanita, down fir, down resolution, up ecdm, down north leaf and south leaf, down viriginia mill, up lawrence creek. about 2:15.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Try this loop: Hang Over to Damifino to Damifido to Lavitra to Lavitra Bypass to Brew Pub to the Switchbacks to Casner Canyon to Grasshopper to Midgley to Wilson Canyon to Jim Thompson to Bird Cage to Jordon to Power Station Plunge to Grand Central to Culvert to Burger King for a chicken chrisp ($1.10) and six cups of ice water with a dash of lemonade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Try this loop: Hang Over to Damifino to Damifido to Lavitra to Lavitra Bypass to Brew Pub to the Switchbacks to Casner Canyon to Grasshopper to Midgley to Wilson Canyon to Jim Thompson to Bird Cage to Jordon to Power Station Plunge to Grand Central to Culvert to Burger King for a chicken chrisp ($1.10) and six cups of ice water with a dash of lemonade.

    Francis could check out this loop if he were to sign up for the M Press Camp. I think Forrest might would give it a

  12. #12
    Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Reputation: ddraewwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Traildoc's looks like a week long excursion, took me 5 min. to read it all
    What's your route envolve for some intermediate riders??

    Thanks in advance.
    Involve meaning? How long? Depends. I never track the mileage, usually my group and I are just trying to have a good time....pace ourselves up the hills and try to hit as many DH's as possible. Gordon Mill is the best uphill (meaning moderate grade) to access the DH's that we like. Spring board ( from the end of BB ) is steep initially, but levels off after maybe 1/4 of a mile. That is why we choose riding up HWY 35 to CM05 because it avoids most of spring board (from lower steam donkey).

    I would probably estimate that that entire loop is probably around 15 mi? But I have no idea. I would say that if you're an "intermediate" rider, you should be fine with that loop. There is always an option from the top of Gordon Mill to just take HWY 35 back to skeggs point anyways.....so if people in your group feel like they can't do the additional loops, they can head back pretty easily.

    BTW: Traildoc's "dream ride" isn't really plausible....thus the "dream". He's being sarcastic because half of those trails that he mentioned don't even exist......in Skeggs anyways. They're basically a list of all the trails he likes I imagine and in a dream world, it would make an awesome ride for him.

  13. #13
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,735

    That's what I figured.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    I would probably estimate that that entire loop is probably around 15 mi? But I have no idea. I would say that if you're an "intermediate" rider, you should be fine with that loop. There is always an option from the top of Gordon Mill to just take HWY 35 back to skeggs point anyways.....so if people in your group feel like they can't do the additional loops, they can head back pretty easily.
    ......an ultimate dream ride. Yeah, I conjure up the same type of hypotheoretical routes for people up here in Annadel too.

    So yours is a couple 3 hours maybe. Sounds like I should get down there and check it out. What's up with this $2 Hill anyway?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •