mtbr member

Favorite Pedals?

Looking at the DMR Vault and Deity T-Mac. Want a concave, sticky pedal that will support my 190lbs on hard landings. Like everyone, wearing the 5.10s, size 12. Any favorites?
    The only easy day was yesterday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    size 13, approx 220lbs, currently on vaults and they've been great, ive only lost one pin so far, otherwise they are super grippy and seem to hold up pretty well, i got a pretty low BB bike (scout) so i do hit rocks/roots a bit

SOG
    mtbr member
    I'm 230 with size 13's and run Deity bladerunners on my DJ. Great thin grippy pedals.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the Deity TMAC's were redesigned since 2016? Seems to be "2016" models on sale, and I can see no difference in new versus 2016.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Point One podiums, no complaints, they are now owned by Gamut, I have the ones before Gamut acquired Point One, but the new ones look good

mtbr member
    I bought the DMR Vaults as my 1st ever set of flats because they were reviewed well and I found them on sale at Merlin's UK site for $85. I have nothing to compare them to but I like them so far and I'm getting more used to flats more and more each time out. Luckily, I haven't had any shin issues yet.

I'm hoping to get my new Pivot 5.5 in the nest few weeks and think I'm going to try the Deity TMACS on that bike because I want to see what all the hype is about the concave designs. Cheapest I've seen them is on PB for $150 (no tax).
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    OK, who swiped those TMACs off Jenson for $118? Were there 1/2 hour ago, and now gone!

mtbr member
    Spending over $100 dollars on pedals is ridiculous. Raceface chesters are like $50 on amazon and are the best pedal I have owned.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    spank oozy

Trail Gnome Moderator
    Shimano SPD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite Pedals?-img_0389.jpg  

Last edited by griz; 09-12-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Adding pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Does anyone know if the Deity TMAC's were redesigned since 2016? Seems to be "2016" models on sale, and I can see no difference in new versus 2016.
    They havent changed since release to my knowledge but they can't be more than a couple years old

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DriverB; 09-09-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TP Rides View Post
    Spending over $100 dollars on pedals is ridiculous. Raceface chesters are like $50 on amazon and are the best pedal I have owned.
    My son and I both have the Chesters. He's 6' 4" and 225, aggressive single track including all the drops and jumps. Chesters are doing fine so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    XT-Trail, if i move to an area with mud again i'll probably go back to the Time/Crank Bro's style

SOG
    mtbr member
    I have a set of Chesters too and while they are durable and a great value I still prefer the feel of the Deity Bladerunners. The thin profile plus the width give these pedals an incredible feel and I don't mind spending the money - life's too short

fc
    stoked Administrator
    This Raceface Chester set the standard at $55.

Race Face Chester flat pedal review - Mtbr.com

And this OneUp Composite is even better.

OneUp Composite flat pedal review - Mtbr.com

It's a good time to be in the flat pedal market.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I *almost* liked the xpedo spry, they are crazy light, but just a little too slippery for my shoes.
    I really like the DMR V12, (350g, $65): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    I've been using Canfield pedals for over 4 years and their latest one is the best yet. Canfield Brothers Crampon Mountain Flat Pedal - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Flat Pedals - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    I caught the TMAC pedals 'on sale' for $118. Will give those a shot and report on findings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TP Rides View Post
    I have a plethora of friends who think I'm ridiculous for spending more than a couple hundred bucks on a bike. I think people are crazy for spending $50K for a new truck or $100 on a round of golf. What people do with their own money is up to them.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

fc
    stoked Administrator
    For flat pedals...

Flat? Convex or concave?? What is the good word?

Favorite Pedals?-p10100721-900x600.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    For flat pedals...

Flat? Convex or concave?? What is the good word?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P10100721-900x600.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1157440
    I used Canfield Bros Crampon Ultimates for 3 years and loved them.... except for the fact that they required frequent, albeit 15 minute, rebuilds. Still, super grippy, allowed me to sneak through and over some tight spots while getting a quick pedal in. Awesome. Score one for convex!

4 months ago, I decided to give the DMR Vaults a shot. The feel is noticeably different than the Crampons - net necessarily grippier, but more stable feeling. They also spin perfectly and silently after ~400 miles and no maintenance. So far, only downside is that there increased depth and width means that there are a couple of really tight squeezes that I used to clear regularly with the Crampons, but now literally scrape by on the Vaults. So, plus one overall for concave.

Bottom line is that I'm tempted to try the Canfield Mountain pedals when my Vaults bite the dust. But, that will likely be a real long time from now, and I just might forget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member

Favorite Pedals?

I've only ever had one set of pedals. Nukeproof Protons, for a couple years. I just replaced the pins today actually.

I would like to try the Deity TMac or Bladerunner but I'm not spending $150 on pedals when mine work fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    I've only ever had one set of pedals. Nukeproof Protons, for a couple years. I just replaced the pins today actually.

I would like to try the Deity TMac or Bladerunner but I'm not spending $150 on pedals when mine work fine.
    Ok I will do it for you. Just put the TMacs on my ride tonight. Skeggs tomorrow.

mtbr member
    REALLY digging the new One up pedals. Thin and grippy!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Favorite Pedals?-img_6606.jpg

mtbr member

Favorite Pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6606.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	1157496
    Nice. And the new bike is looking nice and dirty! Backcountry tube strap too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffsterb View Post
    Nice. And the new bike is looking nice and dirty! Backcountry tube strap too
    I'm digging the new strap!Favorite Pedals?-img_6603.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    I *almost* liked the xpedo spry, they are crazy light, but just a little too slippery for my shoes.
    I just broke my xpedo spry's last week and switched to race face chesters. The only advantage that xpedos have are that they are thin, the race face chester is quite fat but has a lot more grip, probably way more durability, a bigger platform, more pins and sharper pins. Despite the extra 70 or so grams of the chester pedal weight, I felt way faster to accelerate and way quicker up climbs due to the extra stickiness of the chester, so weight doesn't matter really. I only have one ride on them so can't say much really.

The xpedos really lasted a long time, 2 years, but the paint quickly stripped from the pedals. I think after a little under 1.5 years or so, I broke off my first pin from the pedal and broke more after that. You get replacement pins with the sprys but they are useless since the screw hole strips once a pin rips away, so the replacement pin rips out when you hit your first rock.

The pedal eventually ended up cracking above the shaft, I think they had a hairline crack a few weeks ago, I don't remember hitting anything but suddenly just feeling that my pedal felt slippery when I was going uphill, it took me awhile to realize but the pedal was hanging way out off the shaft, so I stopped to inspect it and immediately noticed the cracked pedal body.

The new race face chesters are pretty awesome, just wish they were thinner. The grip is good but enough so you can still easily re-position your feet. I also have some very old 5-10 freeriders I ride with, perhaps some new ones may make things a bit stickier, I could go for a little bit more stickiness with these pedals although they are adequate.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by ssalinas View Post
    Point One podiums, no complaints, they are now owned by Gamut, I have the ones before Gamut acquired Point One, but the new ones look good
    I got those Podiums when they first released - they only just died on me. Lived a good life of about 5+ years w/ nothing but bashing the piss out of them.

Now on Vault's which are money - however, i'm really really impressed with the Pedaling Innovations - both on my trail bike and more so for touring / bike packing. They change your pedal stroke and foot position - all for the better.

mtbr member
    Took the T-Macs out to some small jumps today. These pedals are really, really sticky! I like the bigger platform and concavity.