Thread: Family rides

mtbr member

Family rides

I did not find a post really focused on family rides, which it seems is the only MTB that I can get lately, so I thought I would open a post. I start with this one:

China Camp classic loop: 10 miles or so. Gentle climbing, perfect for my younger daughter 10 yr old, most of the climbing at the beginning. Still a fun descent for my stronger and older sons. Bonus of the visit to the China Camp. Unfortunately the first half of the singletrack going back from China Camp to the parkings, is closed due to a slide so you need to climb back or ride in the road. For those interested in backpacking with the kids, there is a small campground at the trailhead. 0 noise, nice views.

Note to erguin: my wife found the route on your site. If I remember correctly you mention in the description of many routes if they are family friendly. Maybe you want to add a checkbox in the ratings box !

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Where do you live? Wilder State Park and the bluffs (trails by the beach) are very good.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    I did not find a post really focused on family rides, which it seems is the only MTB that I can get lately, so I thought I would open a post. I start with this one:

China Camp classic loop: 10 miles or so. Gentle climbing, perfect for my younger daughter 10 yr old, most of the climbing at the beginning. Still a fun descent for my stronger and older sons. Bonus of the visit to the China Camp. Unfortunately the first half of the singletrack going back from China Camp to the parkings, is closed due to a slide so you need to climb back or ride in the road. For those interested in backpacking with the kids, there is a small campground at the trailhead. 0 noise, nice views.

Note to erguin: my wife found the route on your site. If I remember correctly you mention in the description of many routes if they are family friendly. Maybe you want to add a checkbox in the ratings box !
    Watch out at China camp, apparently it is now a world class racecourse for riders whom never lift their head to see where they are going. My wife and I almost were hit several times on Saturday by people riding much faster than their riding ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Where would you take a 7 year old? My daughter is stoked to "ride like dad" this summer. She'll be moving in to her first geared bike with no coaster brake around May/June and I'd like to get her out on the trails. Auburn will be too much IMO. Maybe Granite Bay? How far is reasonable to expect her to ride? She can do 5 miles on pavement no problem.
    :wq

mtbr member

Family rides

I do not know your area. My advice is to go for short rides (at this age they can't be for more than an hour with any activity), with a clear objective like reaching a nice waterfall or a pond to feed ducks, ...then you eat a sandwich and you go back. Keep it mild, riding is tougher than we realize ! So it is more about her climbing limit than the overall distance. If it is mild they can easily do 10 miles or more, but if you include hard climbs you will lose her after 30 min

mtbr member

Family rides

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Where do you live? Wilder State Park and the bluffs (trails by the beach) are very good.
    Hey fc, That is also a nice ride for kids. I am not looking for suggestions myself. I though we could have a thread were people can share specifically about good rides for the kids, pro tricks, etc. which are not the ones in all the articles/blogs like "the best 7 rides for kids in the area"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Rush Creek Bahia loop or out and back. In Novato.

Rush Creek - Marin County Parks: Open Space - County of Marin

Start next to the freeway, and ride to the bottom of Bahia Drive then choose to go back the way you came, or peddle up the road to the next trail. You can also turnaround and then turn left on the gravel road after the bridge next to the marsh to return via a dirt bike path paralling Atherton. I think its less then 700 vertical if you do the full loop. Maybe 100 ft if you go out and back. Watch out for horse crap.