Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 212
  1. #1
    utilitarian biker
    Reputation: Mountain Medic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    463

    Upset F U specialized for going after Epic Designs Adventure Cycling Gear

    Again a big corporation is going after a small grassroots company over a trademark dispute. Last time it was Monster energy drink vs rock art brewery. See this you tube story.


    I say it is ludicrous. This time Specialized is going after Epic Designs that makes awesome bike packing bags in Alaska. They think "Epic Designs" will cause customer confusion and weaken their trademark rights over their Epic line of bikes. WEAK.
    http://epiceric.blogspot.com/2009/12...y-contest.html

    http://www.epicdesignsalaska.com/

    I say lets let the special idiots know that this type of practice is unacceptable.

    Here is the link for customer feedback at specialized. Tell em that you think this is unacceptable.


    Long live long rides.

  2. #2
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Medic
    Again a big corporation is going after a small grassroots company over a trademark dispute. Last time it was Monster energy drink vs rock art brewery. See this you tube story.


    I say it is ludicrous. This time Specialized is going after Epic Designs that makes awesome bike packing bags in Alaska.
    http://epiceric.blogspot.com/2009/12...y-contest.html

    http://www.epicdesignsalaska.com/

    I say lets let the special idiots know that this type of practice is unacceptable.

    Here is the link for customer feedback at specialized. Tell em that you think this is unacceptable.


    Specialized has been doing this for years. They sued Mountain Cycle out of existence for producing the "Stump Town" CX bike.

    They sued WTB for the Epicwolf tire.

    They sued Stratos shocks for a design stratos invented.

    They sue and sue and sue for designs they believe are rightfully theirs.

    But how did Specialized get their start? They stole the design for their first mountain bike by shipping a Charlie Kelley/Gary Fisher "Mountain Bike" off to asia to be mass produced and called it the Stump Jumper.

    Yeah Specialized!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  3. #3
    organically fed
    Reputation: w00t!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,173
    It's a perpetration by the Man to keep a brother down.

  4. #4
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,629

    YEah, like another poster said on the blog....

    ... Specialized can suck it. They won't get another dime out of my pocket. I don't even think I would buy one of their bikes used for fear of being associated with them in any way shape or form.

    Plus, I'm gonna bad mouth them every chance I get.

    They can kiss my ass right in the crack.

    I wrote my nasty-gram to them already.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,523
    They're going to blow this guy up. Either the case will fail or the guy will change his company name, but the exposure he's received already (I've seen this thread in multiple forums thus far) will get him out there. Before those threads, I'd never heard of this person/company. If he responds correctly, and can handle new demand, he'll be rocking.

    Blessing in disguise?
    :wq

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: droptopchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    339
    Didn't Specialized get sued by Fuji a while back and that's why Fuji now uses their FSR in their mountain bikes. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the Roubaix. I'm trying to find something about it, but coming back empty handed. I did see that Specialized was sued by Stan's though. Thankfully I do not work for a Specialized dealer.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fizzywater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    157
    This is beyond BS....yeah I know ....almost every company on this planet (guess I should narrow it down to the US of A) is doing the same thing as long as they have deep enough pockets, but I do care about cycling in particular and this is pissing me off royally. I am no longer buying any of the Big S*** products! AND I am spreading the word....

    I wouldn't even care if they went after some other big corporation...say one of the other 2 Big S corporations in the cycling industry, that at least would be a level playing field, but this is simply just abuse of the legal system.

  8. #8
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,524
    I thought they dropped the case against him and let him do it.......like a month or two ago?

    ?!?

  9. #9
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man

    I thought they dropped the case against him and let him do it.......like a month or two ago?
    Dunno, but his "Name My Company" blog entry is dated Christmas Day '09.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

  10. #10
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    Who is REALLY surprised by this move by the BIG S? Oh no one....

    So people, if it urkes you, vote with your feet and do not support the BIG S.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ratpick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,127
    I hope none of you use Microsoft products either since they got their start exactly the same way

  12. #12
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,629
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    I hope none of you use Microsoft products either since they got their start exactly the same way
    ... as little as possible. Open Office rocks... well... it's at least free for non-commercial use. I use a Mac much of the time, but Apple is just as bad.

  13. #13
    Just Ride.
    Reputation: Joel.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    729
    Every company is just as bad.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,026
    I have some of Eric's bags. Top notch, and a pleasure to work with. I'll have to see if I have any 'S' gear in the stable - maybe some gloves and clothing - but thankfully no bikes.

    The Rock Art incident was a classic case of net support. Forums lit up with the legal BS from the energy drink company, blogs picked it up. Facebook groups were formed, the local media and then the national media picked it up. Local distributors pulled their swill off the shelves... and in the end the brewer and the megacorp came to terms...

    BS, and I wish Eric the best. Hopefully he'll keep his name, sully 'S's, and gain a whole new crop of customers... (guess I should order up a few bags now before he is swamped...)

  15. #15
    Birthday Collector
    Reputation: ATBScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,549
    Message sent to the Big "S" customer feedback.

    If you have to change your name - how about "Epicalized Design Adventure Gear"? Or maybe "Stumpalized..."
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    I thought they dropped the case against him and let him do it.......like a month or two ago?

    ?!?
    are you thinking of the rock art brew vs. Monster energy case? That was dropped after consumer backlash. I think thats the intention of making everyone aware of the big S.

    For me, I haven't bought anything S (new) for the above reasons, and several other.. But my commuter is an S bike I got used.

  17. #17
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,031
    Big part of the reason I don't use their products over the years and my different bike purchases. Can I patent or trademark "Special Ed"? Then I can sue them for infringement and brand weakening too. Specialized Attorneys = Nimrods.

    Did a search for "Epic Designs" and came up with another hit Spec should go after: One of the documentaries in the Start Wars III DVD is called "Epic Designs for an Expanding Universe"

    FYI, LinkedIn has some other contact info including corporate counsel: http://www.linkedin.com/companies/sp...cle-components
    Last edited by wg; 12-29-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Don't harsh my mello

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,589
    I think one of the only ways to truly effect change in this country or any other is to vote with your wallet. If you don't like what Specialized is doing, do not buy their products. I have mixed feelings because I know some really good people that work at Specialized. They have a genuine love of bikes and cycling. Unfortunately, I think many times the company's business practices leave a lot to be desired.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    117
    why shouldn't a company who has invested millions of dollars be concerned with a company, who is trying to ride their coattails? if i had a multi-million dollar company, i would also go after copycats.

  20. #20
    aka baycat
    Reputation: Ryan G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,478
    What happens when I name my kid Enduro?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    What happens when I name my kid Enduro?

    will you be making a profit off of your child named enduro, based on hi/her name?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,589
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcruz
    will you be making a profit off of your child named enduro, based on hi/her name?
    With a name like Enduro, how could you not?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcruz
    why shouldn't a company who has invested millions of dollars be concerned with a company, who is trying to ride their coattails? if i had a multi-million dollar company, i would also go after copycats.

    Exactly, if you invest millions in a brand/name you would be an idiot not to protect it. It may seem unfair in a case such as this, but if you let one rock slide, the whole hill can come down.

    Specialized as a brand is known world wide. People buy Specialized product because they recognize the brand and associate it w/ killer bikes and products.

    Do you think Nike lets anyone use their "swoosh" logo, or Gatorade their lightning bolt, or Ford the name "Mustang" for a car, or the UCI their rainbow stripes, or the International Olympic Commitee their circle logo? I don't think so. There are reasons for copyright laws and the likes. Look at China, you can get all kinds of fake knock-off crap there. And it is just that, crap. In the modern global economy a brand identity can be just as important as the product. Sometimes this may seem unfair to the little guy, but that's business.

    Case in point, Specialized made a jersey that said "Lunch Time Worlds" and had the UCI rainbow stripes on it. It arose from the weekly Specialized lunch ride in Morgan Hill. The UCI found out and Specialized can no longer make the jersey. No tears were shed.

    If you are not going to buy their product, and bad mouth a company because they are protecting their investment, that is pretty dumb. I am going to continue riding my sick new Specialized full suspension bike. You should stick to that steel hardtail made 15 yaers ago and please pull over when I come blasting by.

  24. #24
    Weird huh?
    Reputation: cmdrpiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,073
    Done:

    Your Question has been Submitted
    The reference number for your question is '091229-000009'.

    You should receive a response by email from our support department within the next business day.

    If you need to add information to or cancel your question, you can do so by updating it through the questions sub area of the 'My Stuff' section of this site.
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,589
    Quote Originally Posted by ARider
    Exactly, if you invest millions in a brand/name you would be an idiot not to protect it. It may seem unfair in a case such as this, but if you let one rock slide, the whole hill can come down.

    Specialized as a brand is known world wide. People buy Specialized product because they recognize the brand and associate it w/ killer bikes and products.

    Do you think Nike lets anyone use their "swoosh" logo, or Gatorade their lightning bolt, or Ford the name "Mustang" for a car, or the UCI their rainbow stripes, or the International Olympic Commitee their circle logo? I don't think so. There are reasons for copyright laws and the likes. Look at China, you can get all kinds of fake knock-off crap there. And it is just that, crap. In the modern global economy a brand identity can be just as important as the product. Sometimes this may seem unfair to the little guy, but that's business.

    Case in point, Specialized made a jersey that said "Lunch Time Worlds" and had the UCI rainbow stripes on it. It arose from the weekly Specialized lunch ride in Morgan Hill. The UCI found out and Specialized can no longer make the jersey. No tears were shed.

    If you are not going to buy their product, and bad mouth a company because they are protecting their investment, that is pretty dumb. I am going to continue riding my sick new Specialized full suspension bike. You should stick to that steel hardtail made 15 yaers ago and please pull over when I come blasting by.
    If this were "Special-Ice Bikes" or something like that I would agree with you but what you're saying is that Specialized owns the word "Epic", which is ridiculous. Me thinks your bro-deal might be clouding your judgement.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •