Thread: Eyewear

Sweater

Eyewear

What do you guys use to protect your eyes from the elements? I don't wear glasses of any type while riding. The main reason is I sweat a lot so the sweat drips down onto the lenses and I can't see. I also fog them up pretty bad when there's no airflow. Lately, I've been getting little bits of something or another in my eyes while riding and I think it's time to really search for something that's going to work for me.
    So, any similar experiences or raving recommendations? Things to look for and/or avoid?
    Thanks
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Is this thing on?
    I have a couple pairs of old school Oakely Pro-M frames I love. I have the same problems as you, I use a Head Sweat thing under my helmet to help control the sweat. It works most of the time but on long or hot rides it can only do so much. I have a couple vented lenses that help with the fogging. They work great when moving but nothing seems to prevent fogging if I stop. Also, the M-frames don't fit up tight against my face, some air flow behind the glasses will help prevent fogging. So vented lenses and glasses that don't sort of seal up against your face should help with fogging.

mtbr member
    Hate to admit it but these glasses are frickin awesome! uvex sports - Cycling News - cycling glasses sgl 202 -

Only problem is, they cost ALOT o' $. I won a contest so only had to pay 1/2 price but these glasses don't fog, sweat sheds right off em and they are somewhat comfy. The light weight doesn't give me head aches and the light to dark feature is nice.

My complaints. Can't just put them in your pocket because the end on the arms will scrub scratches on the internal lens. Fortunately they scrub far from line of sight but still annoyed that it happened for such pricy shades. Also, they shade change doesn't happen quick (probably the same with all shade changing lenses) so you could be in dark mode while entering shade which can be a drag but it doesn't get super dark. I had to return the Charcoal as they got too dark for redwood riding but the brown lens seems to be perfect.

Anyhow, highly recommend...if you have $180 to drop.
    Peanut butter Tuesday, if you know what I mean!

Dropshot Champ!
    the lower end uvex stuff is pretty good too. I've been really happy with uvex and tifosi stuff over the years. I think performance brand scattante is relabeled tifosi if you're looking for an even cheaper option.

Ted
    Ted in real life
    Uvex S4110 Slate Safety Eyewear on Amazon for $8. I have been wearing the same pair for a year. They are great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    About five years ago, I bought some specialized sunglasses.

These were very expensive ( about $220). But they are still rocking today.

The lenses are vented, so fogging doesn't really happen. I have a halo headband that I no longer need after getting a helmet made by a helmet company and not Fox.

The lenses are made out of helicopter canopy plastic , so they're basically safety glasses.

The lenses also are automatically adjusting in the amount of tint they provide.

Great glasses.

Not a fanboi either. I only wear their shoes and glasses.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Can't just put them in your pocket because the end on the arms will scrub scratches on the internal lens
    This seems like a huge design flaw in a lot of cycling glasses, high and low end.
    Don't the designers ever go out and ride? Baffling and annoying!

orthonormal
    Some of the newer Oakley models have some kind of hydrophobic coating to prevent streaks and fogging. I just got some Flak Jackets with the Transitions lenses. I've only worn them a few times but so far, I'm not having the fogging problems I had with my old Performance/Tifosis, even though they had the vents.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Lately, I've been rocking a pair of safety glasses the g/f put out in the "Free" pile when we moved. They're great for riding under tree cover.

But I really need to get some prescription glasses, and I've been thinking about getting some Transition lenses, maybe at Costco. Any feedback? Thanks.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rock the Smith Parallel Max's. I have a few lense sets with them and both came with lifetime warranties.

As far as sweat dripping on them: I blame the helmet but at least they don't streak. They fog rarely - if ever.

Unfortunately that's the problem with generating heat and differing temperatures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Lately, I've been rocking a pair of safety glasses the g/f put out in the "Free" pile when we moved. They're great for riding under tree cover.

But I really need to get some prescription glasses, and I've been thinking about getting some Transition lenses, maybe at Costco. Any feedback? Thanks.
    Honestly?

The best thing I ever did was get LASIK.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ I looked into that, but they would only zap one eye (although my "good" eye isn't close to perfect). Plus, I had a friend have a bad experience. Just not worth the risk to me (and I'm cheap). But thanks!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 04-25-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

pvd
    mtbr member
    Oakley M Frames with clear vented lenses are the best you can use bar none. The only issue is that they are pricey and don't make you look good. Performance wise, they can't be beat.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Under the trees (where I ride most) I don't need shade, just eye protection from face-slapper branches and rocks and such. Cheap-a$$ lab safety glasses like these work great:

Pyramex Venture II Safety Glasses - Pyramex Venture II Black Frame Safety Glasses w/ Clear Lens - Only $4.25

Then apply some no-fog stuff, like this

Rain-X - Anti-Fog

If they get scratched, who cares? toss them and get a new pair.

mtbr member
    Bolle glasses with a bunch of inter-changeable lenses, but I mostly wear clear lenses. Make sure the glasses have vents in the front so air can get-in behind the lenses and help with the fogging. As for the sweat, I wear a Halo headband under my helmet.

mtbr member
    I run the $5 cheapo polycarb. specials from Blue Sky Cycling - they are light and comfortable and don't look too ridiculous. I love the yellow lenses b/c they offer protection + really bring out the contrast in the trails in all types of lighting. For me, I could never drop a significant amount of coin on riding glasses b/c they get scratched / broken / lost / abused - I just buy 4 pairs of these for $20 and I am set for a long time.

They do fog up when I'm climbing (the $80 glasses do as well), so I use that anti-fog listed above - works pretty good - if it is extremely humid, I just take them off for the long climbs.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

Re: Eyewear

sunglasses! or clear safety glasses if riding around dusk/dark.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    I had great vision insurance one year and got a pair of Rudy Projects in my prescription (Horus model). I only found later that the full frame hold on to more water than the half frame (lens is open at the bottom). I have gone to the moto goggle dark side, but my advice to others is to get half-frames even if you think they look less cool.

singletrack bound
    how about Native Hardtops...had a pair for about four years and needed some new lenses so I sent them in and they sent me a complete new pair back brand spankin' new!!

http://www.nativeyewear.com/photos/w...main_image.jpg
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've noticed the quality of the optics effects my riding. I'd like to find something reasonably priced has clear lenses
    that makes me ride like no glasses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I went to the Rudy Project booth at Sea Otter to check their glasses out, as I always thought they had decent stuff. Booth chick looked at my Tifosi glasses, snickered, and said oh you wear Tifosi! That was pretty much the end of my exploration into Rudy Project

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Clear safety glasses from Home Depot $5.

Uncle
    I scored a set of Smith Pivlocs(?) at an Ales n Trails raffle a few years ago, and saw their price tag after the fact. This is the first pair of glasses that I've owned that get returned to their protective case after each ride - and I only use them for riding. They're very good for this sport.

I've had other cheaper glasses that were comparable (Native, Scattante?, Serfas Hunter model, etc), and I doubt I'd buy the Smiths at retail because I usually lose or break glasses pretty fast. In general, something without a frame on the bottom half of the lens will get decent airflow (which will minimize fogging) and be light enough that they don't get heavy on the schnozz. As for sweat and fog, even my fancy glasses occasionally fog up if I'm grinding up a hill @ <2mph, and I get a sweat drip into my lenses occasionally too. I almost always ride with a yellow or amber lens because it works well in the sun and in the shade, and when it goes back and forth between sun and shade. Others mentioned optical quality and distortions, and this is something that I'm very sensitive to. There's a lot of crap out there, but without much work I'd think you could find a good pair for under $30 if you're on a budget.

Just be sure you can try some on before you buy, as face size makes a difference. REI might be a great place to start.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Eyewear

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ I looked into that, but they would only zap one eye (although my "good" eye isn't close to perfect). Plus, I had a friend have a bad experience. Just not worth the risk to me (and I'm cheap). But thanks!
    Bummer. Sorry I'm not more help!

mtbr member
    These for sunny days

Safety Glasses, Smoke

These for night riding and cloudy days

UV Safety Glasses with Clear Lenses

Very little invested and they work great. If I ever scratch or misplace them I won't feel bad at all. Optics are just fine for me and the sweat can be handled with a headband. When I do get that line of sweat down the glass it just reminds me that I am working hard!