mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Equestrians destroying trail features

I find it perplexing that they go out of thier way to trample on these jumps and drops that people have spent time building. Does anyone else deal with this issue?
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

It's about showing up.
    Where were these built?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Up here in the Redding area.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I notice a lot more horses out after heavy rain. I wonder if the private horse trail close till the treir trails dry up to prevent damage, so they uncaringly use the public multi-use trails during these wet periods.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Put up some signs calling them out.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by skip canfield View Post
    Up here in the Redding area.
    My bad...I asked the wrong question. What I meant was more like who's land it was, what was the dedicated usage, was the construction legal/authorized?
    I don't rattle.

middle ring single track

Malicious or just havin' fun???

Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    I notice a lot more horses out after heavy rain. I wonder if the private horse trail close till the treir trails dry up to prevent damage, so they uncaringly use the public multi-use trails during these wet periods.
    In regards to wet weather closures; a definite "yes"---as parks are closed due to wet conditions the ones staying open get heavier usage by all user groups. I just had a conversation yesterday with an equestrian bemoaning the influx of "non-local" horses whose riders don't know what trails are passable and which are not. (And who tear up those "sensitive" trails)

In regards to horses trampling "features"; almost every kind of obstacle that bikers enjoy so too do adventurous horse folk. Check YouTube for "extreme cowboy races" and you'll see horses on teeter-totters, skinnies, log roll-overs, drops and etc.

Obviously, most features for equestrian use would need to be built heavier than for bike only use---something to think about when planning for stuff on public, multi-use lands.

Search out the horse riders using "your" features and invite them to help in the construction/upkeep of same. You'll never know until you ask...
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    For the first time ever my local not to be mentioned trails have been signed (official Park signs) stating that equestrians should avoid trails after heavy rain to avoid future trail closings due to damage.

Unfortunately this sign is right above the sign with a circled bike and diagonal line indicating no single-speeds

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer View Post
    Unfortunately this sign is right above the sign with a circled bike and diagonal line indicating no single-speeds
    Iím pretty sure those signs are singling out the fixed-gear hipstards on track bikes.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

ballbuster

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Iím pretty sure those signs are singling out the fixed-gear hipstards on track bikes.
    White bikes with drop bars.

Those guys all ride aerospoke wheels. Those are clearly spoked wheels.

mtbr member
    Iffin you don't mind.....specifically which trails so I can keep an eye out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskare View Post
    Iffin you don't mind.....specifically which trails so I can keep an eye out.
    Mostly Wintu DH.

mtbr member
    If it is public land seems like a pissing match between bike riders that want the features and horse riders that think the features don't belong on the trails.

After it rains, there are plenty of trails that rock hard. Everyone should stay off the soft squishy mud. Hikers, horse riders, and bikers. Too many people, too few resources. Try to keep your impact at a minimum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    If it is public land seems like a pissing match between bike riders that want the features and horse riders that think the features don't belong on the trails.

After it rains, there are plenty of trails that rock hard. Everyone should stay off the soft squishy mud. Hikers, horse riders, and bikers. Too many people, too few resources. Try to keep your impact at a minimum.
    I agree, just a drag to put in time repairing said features to return another day and find them tore up again. Most equestrians are pretty cool, but once in awhile you run across a crabby one. A pissing match in the wind, no body is gunna win. I guess we'll continue to repair em & ride em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skip canfield View Post
    I agree, just a drag to put in time repairing said features to return another day and find them tore up again. Most equestrians are pretty cool, but once in awhile you run across a crabby one. A pissing match in the wind, no body is gunna win. I guess we'll continue to repair em & ride em.
    If you ever run out of crabby equestrians, we have truckloads of them down in Marin. I'm sure we could spare one or two... (There are a couple I'd pay to move up there.)

I rode horses when I was younger. Some of my friend's children ride horses, so I try not to drag down the whole group. (We have more than a few moron mtn bikers.)

Just keep rebuilding the features... unless it's illegal, then "what features"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    If you ever run out of crabby equestrians, we have truckloads of them down in Marin. I'm sure we could spare one or two... (There are a couple I'd pay to move up there.)

I rode horses when I was younger. Some of my friend's children ride horses, so I try not to drag down the whole group. (We have more than a few moron mtn bikers.)

Just keep rebuilding the features... unless it's illegal, then "what features"?