mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Endurocross for mt.bikes

Anyone ever give this much thought. Same idea as the moto guys, just maybe a little tamer course? I was watching some videos of those moto guys and thought it might be a cool idea. I think it would be fun to try.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Like a blend of trials and dirt jumping?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yea, you could run it with a BMX race like start. Make it short/shorter laps?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, 1 or 2 laps, timed, over obstacles, throw in a mud pit, a jump or 2, just have fun with it. And it could be held in a small area, no need to go big.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member

Already exists! kinda...

4X/mountaincross. Appears in pockets across the world minus USA. The higher speeds of a net-downhill course allow for some of the faster racing and spectacular jumps typical of 4X. But the cost is it limits races to one lap.

If you wanted multiple laps, then you are talking about short-track cross country (STXC) with trickier obstacles. This exists to some degree, but honestly is not very fun (in my experience).

This issue is the only thing that makes me miss motocross, where otherwise I find mountain biking to be the better sport. Bikes just can't make the power to let you do laps full of cool stuff without gravity assistance. I race BMX, and have imagined multi-lap races with a climb (back up the start hill) and rock/root/woodwork/etc obstacles. It might be fun, but it will take someone to build a track and build a movement of riders to prove it.