Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Edison Lake

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kithannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    106

    Edison Lake

    Anybody ever take their bike up to Edison (Above Shaver / Huntington in the Sierras)? I have not taken my bike before, but been up plenty of times camping and fishing. Me and a buddy are finally going for a quick oivernighter and taking the bikes. I don't know of any singletrack or anything, but when I have been there, I see lots of dirt road trails that will be fine to mess around on. Just wondering if anybody else has been up there with their MTB.
    2011 Trek EX8 Matte Sepia

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kithannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    106
    Well, we went.

    It was pretty awesome. What we ended up doing was riding a few of the many OHV trails in the High Sierras which worked out perfectly. Nice All Mountain style trails - lots of climbs, technical stuff and a lot of areas to go play around on. Beautiful views and my new Conti X-King UST Tubeless setup held up perfectly! And I'm not even running any Stans or anything.

    One of the trails we ended up riding was the "Bear" OHV Trail that is a few minutes past the turnoff to Mono Hot Springs on Kaiser Pass Road. 4x4 definitely recommended, but we see cars get up Kaiser Pass all the time, even saw a Prius today.

    The Bear OHV Trail ends up at Bear Dam Diversion.

    Sierra National Forest - Recreation







    2011 Trek EX8 Matte Sepia

  3. #3
    loopy counter
    Reputation: knobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    586
    I've done many day trips from a Shaver base. Edison is long drive even from Shaver so I've done just one ride near Edison, and my experience was similar to yours. Beyond Shaver Lake, 4wd trails and forest service roads are generally the only mtb options. It's not so bad though, there's endless miles to explore.

    So little snow!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    789
    That place is awesome.. I go there every year backpacking, and am always so sad to leave. I recommend it to anyone that has a few days and does not mind the drive up Kaiser. The effort is well worth it!

    Awesome pics. Cool Post.
    - .... . / .. -.. .. --- - ... / .... .- ...- . / - .- -.- . -. / --- ...- . .-.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,080
    I went backpacking once up there and have always wanted to go back. The wilderness area doesn't start until somewhere near the far end of Edison Lake. The road from Shaver to Edison is paved, but just barely, and looks like they just paved over rocks and stumps.

    I thought it might be cool to take a cycle and ride around the north shore of Edison to the wilderness boundary, then day-hike from there. There are old growth aspen groves that are very pretty.

  6. #6
    yohyatt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    366
    Views and all look great - even the terrain, but what's all mountain about fireroads? (judging by pics only).

    Quote Originally Posted by kithannah View Post
    Well, we went.

    It was pretty awesome. What we ended up doing was riding a few of the many OHV trails in the High Sierras which worked out perfectly. Nice All Mountain style trails - lots of climbs, technical stuff and a lot of areas to go play around on. Beautiful views and my new Conti X-King UST Tubeless setup held up perfectly! And I'm not even running any Stans or anything.

    One of the trails we ended up riding was the "Bear" OHV Trail that is a few minutes past the turnoff to Mono Hot Springs on Kaiser Pass Road. 4x4 definitely recommended, but we see cars get up Kaiser Pass all the time, even saw a Prius today.

    The Bear OHV Trail ends up at Bear Dam Diversion.

    Sierra National Forest - Recreation








  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kithannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat View Post
    Views and all look great - even the terrain, but what's all mountain about fireroads? (judging by pics only).
    There are some areas that get pretty steep, hairy and technical. I guess those weren't the best places to stop and take pics for a number of reasons, but next time I will. There are plenty of fire roads, this is a dedicated OHV trail where in many places vehicles may otherwise need a winch / rock crawler to get up / down. Traversing that on a MTB qualifies in my world as a lot more than XC... hence the term "All Mountain".
    2011 Trek EX8 Matte Sepia

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCal-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    244
    I'm camping at Shaver Lake for a week mid-June. I'll have to go check out this OHV trail. Looks fun. Thanks!

    So far the only other close trail I've been able to find info on is the "Elvis" loop around Shaver Lake. Can anyone recommend any other trails in that area? I'm fine with anything from fire roads with awesome scenery to technical trails. 10-25 miles (1-3 hrs) riding and within a 15-30 min drive of Shaver is what I prefer. I like to get out early in the AM before the family misses me.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kithannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by yfz_duner View Post
    I'm camping at Shaver Lake for a week mid-June. I'll have to go check out this OHV trail. Looks fun. Thanks!

    So far the only other close trail I've been able to find info on is the "Elvis" loop around Shaver Lake. Can anyone recommend any other trails in that area? I'm fine with anything from fire roads with awesome scenery to technical trails. 10-25 miles (1-3 hrs) riding and within a 15-30 min drive of Shaver is what I prefer. I like to get out early in the AM before the family misses me.
    Dude, you'll be in heaven... The one we took this time was the Bear OHV trail, Beautiful views, probably 45+ min from Shaver, but you have a few options that are closer. If you go East - Dinky Road towards Wishon / Courtright Reservoir, you'll find at least 7 or 8 OHV trails and lots of fire roads. You can also go above Shaver 10-15 minutes and just before you get to Huntington Lake, there is a Ski Resort called "China Peak", formerlly Sierra Summit, which is just about to open a bunch of MTB trails for the season. Ride lifts up, ride bikes down, could be a good option if you like that sort of thing. Opens June 23rd...

    Bike China Peak - BikeChinaPeak.com - China Peak Mountain Resort
    2011 Trek EX8 Matte Sepia

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SoCal-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    244
    I'll expand my online search to OHV trails then too.

    The day China Peak opens is our last full day there. I'll have to go check it out.

    Thanks

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kithannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by yfz_duner View Post
    I'll expand my online search to OHV trails then too.

    The day China Peak opens is our last full day there. I'll have to go check it out.

    Thanks
    This is their second season, I was out of town most of last summer so I never made it up. It is supposed to be pretty cool. Quite a few trails and the lifts do all the work going up I have been skiing up there many of times though, so I know the runs and they are pretty decent.
    2011 Trek EX8 Matte Sepia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •