mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Ed Levin Park in Milpitas

I work pretty close to Ed Levin Park in Milpitas, and I was thinking this might be a good place to get in a quick 1hr lunchtime bike ride.

Anybody ridden there?

mtbr member
    the climb to monument peak (the tower) is a wonderful
    thigh exploding experience.
    part of the fire road is 1/4 mile of 20%+ with no flats.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was thinking the same thing for the wknd. Rode up the road at the end of Calaveras last wknd. Really mild. Was thinking to take the fireroad down to the bottom and ride home. According to the 1 and only review on the trail review section of mtbr, there is only 1 fireroad open that is littered with cow poop. This is the fireroad that leads you from the top to the bottom in the description.

Something about all the other trails are close to bikes. But also I heard that this trail actually links up to Mission Peak, which has a little bit more riding.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    as you can see from the map there is only one legal trail. this is the trail that leads up to monument peak and from there to mission peak. the ed levin side of this trail is not well maintained and is overgrown with weeds and destroyed by cattle. the rest of the trails arent worth poaching as it is just more non technical fireroads which total maybe 5 miles. its really an unfortunate situation up there.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    part of the fire road is 1/4 mile of 20%+ with no flats.
    What I called "the wall" when I rode it. I was dumb enough to ride down from Mission Peak all the way to Ed Levin. I should have known that when my brakes faded on the descent it was time to give up and turn around, but I persisted. The climb back up was just miserable and exactly as described - littered with cow dung. I consider myself a pretty strong climber, but that kicked my butt.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

swag ho Administrator
    That's exactly how I remember it 15 years ago.

fc