Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    82

    ECdM/Skeggs Manzanita Trail closed?

    Strava tells me its been 5 years since I've ridden here. Used to ride here a lot but managed to get seriously off course this afternoon on what was my standard loop. Plan was to go down Manzanita after climbing Tafoni. When I got to the 4 way intersection, if I'm not mistaken, Manzanita is marked closed and Methusalah becomes the only option.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b0bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    255
    [wherein b0bg appreciates being corrected by the great hive-mind and deletes his inaccurate map]

    Excited to learn I'm mistaken and look forward to taking advantage of that connector next time I'm there.
    Last edited by b0bg; 07-11-2018 at 05:42 PM.

  3. #3
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,456
    when did this happen? I was there 5 days ago and it was fine

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    82
    Thanks. The other trail I failed to find was the .3 mile connector from Gordon Mill below the Springboard connection to Crossover. As a result I got to enjoy climbing Timberview from the bottom.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dp400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    461
    I ride there typically 2 days a week. Ive never seen that trail closed. Going up today so will see whats up.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b0bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    I ride there typically 2 days a week. Ive never seen that trail closed. Going up today so will see whats up.
    I was up there on the 30th, and could swear I saw the same old branches and logs across the turn off from Fir Trail. I'll delete/amend my map and comment if I'm wrong but I gave up on that connection a long time ago. I would be thrilled if I'm wrong, except for the part where I gave misleading advice above.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolMark View Post
    Thanks. The other trail I failed to find was the .3 mile connector from Gordon Mill below the Springboard connection to Crossover. As a result I got to enjoy climbing Timberview from the bottom.
    That CrossCut/CrossOver intersection is a bit confusing until you get to know it, the Skeggs Maze.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aliikane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bg View Post
    It's closed at Tafoni and Fir Trail (but doesn't show that way even on their latest maps). The way to get to Manzanita is from Methuselah (climbing up from the junction with Timberview or the much bigger climb up from Fir).

    That intersection isn't 4-way anymore.

    Attachment 1207434
    Bummer. I like that link up to Manzanita. I haven't ridden there in a while since they started to plow Blue Blossom and Spring Board in to a freeway with gravel.

    How is Blue Blossom now? Fireroad with slick gravel?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Bummer. I like that link up to Manzanita. I haven't ridden there in a while since they started to plow Blue Blossom and Spring Board in to a freeway with gravel.

    How is Blue Blossom now? Fireroad with slick gravel?
    I'm pretty sure this connector is still open.

    Blue Blossom isn't that bad, a bit rutted and clearly easier than it used to be, but there's still some good single track re-forming (I think)

  10. #10
    rox
    rox is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,456
    I was just up there and manzanita is definitely open all the way down. branches wouldnt do it because the part you are talking about is a road

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dp400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    461
    I just got home from riding Skeggs and everything is open.
    FYI that map shows an X between Fir and Mathuselah ON the top sections of Manzanita. That is a firewood as mentioned and is open.
    Perhaps you came up lower Taphoni where it looks like at one time there was a connector to Fir but no longer.
    Blue Blossom was good!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    I just got home from riding Skeggs and everything is open.
    FYI that map shows an X between Fir and Mathuselah ON the top sections of Manzanita. That is a firewood as mentioned and is open.
    Perhaps you came up lower Taphoni where it looks like at one time there was a connector to Fir but no longer.
    Blue Blossom was good!
    I'm riding Skeggs tomorrow morning.

    Blue Blossom is good? I haven't ridden it in at least a few years, and it was the subject of many RIP posts in 2016 after they sanitized it. Do you think Blue Blossom is good enough for me to do a perimeter ride via Resolution to North Leaf to South Leaf and then all that climbing to get to the start of Blue Blossom? Otherwise, I plan to do Resolution-North Leaf-Methuselah-GS-Manzanita x 2.

  13. #13
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I'm riding Skeggs tomorrow morning.

    Blue Blossom is good? I haven't ridden it in at least a few years, and it was the subject of many RIP posts in 2016 after they sanitized it. Do you think Blue Blossom is good enough for me to do a perimeter ride via Resolution to North Leaf to South Leaf and then all that climbing to get to the start of Blue Blossom? Otherwise, I plan to do Resolution-North Leaf-Methuselah-GS-Manzanita x 2.
    I would do Resolution>NL>Methuselah>GS>Crosscut/Crossover>up Gordon Mill then down SM> Oljon> SteamDonkey> CrossCut/CrossOver> GS, then up Methuselah then hit Manzanita to Timberview and back up to top.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b0bg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    255
    Thanks @dp400 for the correction, sorry for sharing bad info. Glad I can try to integrate that connector back into my loops. 5k's suggested route sounds like just the leg burner.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dp400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopaminer_09 View Post
    I'm riding Skeggs tomorrow morning.

    Blue Blossom is good? I haven't ridden it in at least a few years, and it was the subject of many RIP posts in 2016 after they sanitized it. Do you think Blue Blossom is good enough for me to do a perimeter ride via Resolution to North Leaf to South Leaf and then all that climbing to get to the start of Blue Blossom? Otherwise, I plan to do Resolution-North Leaf-Methuselah-GS-Manzanita x 2.

    Yep. I just did that 2 weeks ago. it was a little over 15 miles and 3200 ft of climbing.

    If you want something with a little less elevation and miles a great route is park at the new lot and ride - SM to Fir to Res to No leaf to G Salamander to Manz up Manz to Tafoni dw Tafoni to ECDM ( turn right on ECDM ) down to bridge and up to SM and down or over to Fir or upper Tafoni to Manzanita to CC and CO to G Mill and up.

    OR start by going to BB and up CC and CO to Res and follow the other loop.

    Have fun!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I would do Resolution>NL>Methuselah>GS>Crosscut/Crossover>up Gordon Mill then down SM> Oljon> SteamDonkey> CrossCut/CrossOver> GS, then up Methuselah then hit Manzanita to Timberview and back up to top.
    I'm not a fan of riding up GS or the fire-road from GS to Crosscut, but otherwise I approve!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dp400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by doctapow View Post
    I'm not a fan of riding up GS or the fire-road from GS to Crosscut, but otherwise I approve!

    Personally I prefer climbing GS and up to CC vs climbing Methuselah. Thats one of my usual routes after dropping down Tafoni to NL. But I hate climbing fire roads. Too boring.

  18. #18
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    30,659
    Skeggs... haven't been there in 18 months since my office moved away from Redwood City. 45 minute drive.

    I'm ready to return I think. It's gone from a twice a week destination to twice a year. I do have some new gravel grinders though.

    ECdM/Skeggs Manzanita Trail closed?-img_9394.jpg
    IPA will save America

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    ... park at the new lot and ride - SM to Fir to Res to No leaf to G Salamander to Manz up Manz to Tafoni dw Tafoni to ECDM ( turn right on ECDM ) down to bridge and up to SM and down or over to Fir or upper Tafoni to Manzanita to CC and CO to G Mill and up.
    Agree about preference for climbing stuff like manzanita instead of fireroads. I did a route like the quoted one here not too long ago, but opted to climb resolution and descend lower fir.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    303
    I try to minimize my time on fire roads at Skeggs. I usually will climb GS and Manzanita after going down Resolution, but if I am in a time pinch I will climb Methuselah. I've done Resolution to Manzanita, and then turned around and gone down Manzanita to make it an out-and-back ride.

    From the posts above, I am inferring that Blue Blossom is so-so. I still plan to check it out soon.

    I did Tafoni once, like 9 years ago. I don't really remember it. It sounds like Tafoni and ECdMC trails are popular - maybe I should check those out again. Aren't they fire roads?


    I went to Demo today instead of Skeggs. Cusacks, down Corral trail and then back up (did not ride the Corral fire road), Ridge, Flow, Hihns. Demo was awesome, as always! Getting a little dusty and loose on Ridge. Flow still in good shape.
    Last edited by Dopaminer_09; 07-12-2018 at 06:21 PM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    379

  22. #22
    Formerly dvo
    Reputation: mtbrdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,567
    I have been wanting to redo this ride.....https://www.strava.com/activities/255588840
    I'm the problem....

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dp400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    I have been wanting to redo this ride.....https://www.strava.com/activities/255588840
    Holy $hit.... I followed that whole route and I can't believe you did that!
    Totally insane.
    Big Props!!

Similar Threads

  1. Skeggs: radar ranger sun 9/8 @Fir-Manzanita jxn
    By bchains in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 08:12 PM
  2. Construction at ECDM ( Skeggs)
    By diskus in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 08:11 AM
  3. More work at ECDM ( Skeggs)
    By Smilerz in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM
  4. Skeggs Manzanita Video
    By fc in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM
  5. Skeggs- Manzanita bad news
    By lamdman1976 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Members who have read this thread: 175

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.