mtbr member
    Oct 2017

EBRPD ticketing campaign beginning

Heads up to East Bay cyclists:

I just received intel that the East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD) is currently ramping up officer trail patrols, specifically with the goal of ticketing cyclists. The target is two-fold: cyclists riding on non-cycling trails (most singletrack trails in the District are closed to bikes, while most fire roads are open), AND cyclists riding on legal trails past park curfew (10pm in most parks). Officers will likely be stationed at popular trail intersections, looking for cyclists' lights. Be aware that the District also has off-road motorcycle-mounted officers, able to access remote backcountry areas. To my knowledge, trail speed limits are not going to be enforced.

I suspect this is mainly going to target the popular Anthony Chabot night rides, but officers could be anywhere. Expect Tilden and Wildcat, Redwood, Chabot, and the "connector" trails on Skyline between these parks to be included. Note that EBRPD police also patrol EBMUD property.

Also note that strategic campaigns like this are decided on a fairly high management level, not by individual park supervisors who may or may not be sympathetic to cycling. If you have problems with how cyclists are acknowledged and/or the lack of dedicated cycling trails in East Bay Parks, please write letters to the EBRPD board of directors. They review public comment letters at most board meetings.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    they just spent 300K destroying a single track in briones too.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

That makes me smart
    Man, you guys are soooo focked.

Hogan's looking better all the time.
    "I can almost smell the alcohol oozing from that post."

mtnbkrmike

A global map of winds. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    they just spent 300K destroying a single track in briones too.
    Our tax dollars at work

Paper or plastic?
    That will pass.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Looks like I need to save my clams for possible donation to local law enforcement. I will do my best to not get caught. Because I ride singletrack, and that is pretty much the long and the short of it. Thanks for the heads up, and that is a very interesting (suspicious) 1st post. See you on the skinnies!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I don't think it's possible to spend 300K on a trail removal... that project was probably done by a volunteer trail crew.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Alias log in, I thought that may be the deal. Thanks for info!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker23 View Post
    I don't think it's possible to spend 300K on a trail removal... that project was probably done by a volunteer trail crew.
    Unfortunately I was NOT pulling that number out of my ass. Seems like a lot of good could have been done with that money.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Unfortunately I was NOT pulling that number out of my ass. Seems like a lot of good could have been done with that money.
    If they spent $300k for 12 guys for one day’s work (assuming 12 were used as claimed, seems high), then EBRPD has a serious financial management problem. That would be $3,125 per hour, per person. More like $3,000, which gives a per person rate of about $31 per hour, about right for the cost of an employee paid $18 an hour with benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Don't know what they spent to destroy a trail that's been there since the at least the late 70's. They pulled a fallen oak about a half mile from the bathrooms at the end of the pavement on top all the way to the start of H&F just to have a big enough log to block the entrance area. Kinda dumb considering there are several fallen trees within a 100 yards had they come up the other way. Regardless they wasted a good amount of $$$.
    Last edited by MTB Dad; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    $300k was earmarked to shut down illegal trails. Unfortunatly they are not done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha43 View Post
    $300k was earmarked to shut down illegal trails. Unfortunatly they are not done.
    That is a shame. When I look at the number of new trails TAMBA in Tahoe was able to put in this summer with the cooperation of government agencies, I am just floored at how hard EBRPD makes it to put in new singletrack. Unfortunately, it has directors that are largely anti bike. As others have pointed out, many of the staff and EBRPD police are pro bike, so be nice to them. They are doing their job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha43 View Post
    Good luck with that. Most trails are created by cattle.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Just so we are clear, EBRPD has money for taking out trails, but allows trees to block fire roads for months during peak fire season. This is the fire road in Briones on the way up to Blue Oak.

Last edited by Cary; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Just so we are clear, EBMUD has money for taking out trails, but allows trees to block fire roads for months during peak fire season. This is the fire road in Briones on the way up to Blue Oak.

You're getting your agencies mixed up, bruh. EBRPD manages Briones Regional Park (and all Regional Parks and Preserves in Alameda and Contra Costa County). EBMUD manages adjacent watershed land. If you think EBRPD is bike-unfriendly, LOL, take a look at EBMUD's holdings and their access policies. You gotta have a friggin' permit just to hike there.

As for the downed wood during fire season, a fire crew would bust through that in about 2 minutes. Sounds to me like the earmarked money is going to be used for district-wide trail removal / "restoration," which includes social trails of all types (also made by hikers). Unfortunately that includes some great singletrack too.

As the OP mentioned, if you don't like the policies, write the EBRPD board of directors. They will never build new singletrack without public pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

You're getting your agencies mixed up, bruh. EBRPD manages Briones Regional Park (and all Regional Parks and Preserves in Alameda and Contra Costa County). EBMUD manages adjacent watershed land. If you think EBRPD is bike-unfriendly, LOL, take a look at EBMUD's holdings and their access policies. You gotta have a friggin' permit just to hike there.

As for the downed wood during fire season, a fire crew would bust through that in about 2 minutes. Sounds to me like the earmarked money is going to be used for district-wide trail removal / "restoration," which includes social trails of all types (also made by hikers). Unfortunately that includes some great singletrack too.

As the OP mentioned, if you don't like the policies, write the EBRPD board of directors. They will never build new singletrack without public pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oops, typing while walking, fixed. You are correct about EBMUD, they have practically zero access, but do also have our water supply to protect.

It would be more than two minutes, there is some big brush on the other side “12” diameter”. Call it 10 minutes. A long time for a fire to spread on property that abuts homes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sucks about the Briones trail destruction. Wish we had the same rights as cows.

I have been seeing A LOT of "wildlife" cameras out on the EBPRD narrow trails lately. Makes me wonder if it's mountain bikers or mountain lions they want pictures of.

190lbs of climber
    Sigh. Once more, my signature line is sadly relevant. Riding singletrack at night was the only redeeming quality of living in the East Bay as a mountain biker. I'm glad I've left the Bay Area for good.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, alot of cameras in east bay now. I now use a bandana over my my face, before going downhill on skinny trails. Pretty ridiculous considering I am 49, and have zero criminal record. Mt biking is not "supposed to be" a crime. I have been riding Marin since 1970's, I laugh at all the trail advocacy, and their lack of success, and I just ride. Still riding, just with face covered now. I try to do 200 rides per year, no time to be scared of enforcement, just keep riding. I dont think I am doing much wrong, just riding my bike on singletrack, usually during hours while most are at work so I dont get nagged at by hikers very often. Maybe I will burn in hell, but at least I will be on a bike. Will tires melt down there?

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Camera situation is getting so ridiculous, I may go buy a ski mask. It weighs nothing in my camelback, and may work better than bandana. Anyway, thats my solution, as I am not moving out of CA.

mtbr member
    Saw the park Police chopper flying around Redwood/Sibley about 1 this afternoon. Was taking a good look in the Sibley-Fish Ranch Road area.... such a waste of $ along with trail demolition- I mean habitat restoration.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nilesfreeborn View Post
    Heads up to East Bay cyclists:

I suspect this is mainly going to target the popular Anthony Chabot night rides, but officers could be anywhere. Expect Tilden and Wildcat, Redwood, Chabot, and the "connector" trails on Skyline between these parks to be included. Note that EBRPD police also patrol EBMUD property.
    Curious - what makes you think they're focusing on Chabot? I feel like it has far less hiker / cyclist user conflict than Redwood, and the no-bikes trails are far less aggressive than those at Lime Ridge / Shell Ridge / Briones / Redwood.

That being said, I saw two rangers / LEOs on enduro bikes going up Proctor Trail double-track a few mornings ago as I was heading to the golf course. Just figured they were taking the 'fun' way up to the ranger station from the far side of the park...

Uncle
    EBPRD: Helping to usher in the Gravel Bike Era
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash View Post
    Curious - what makes you think they're focusing on Chabot? I feel like it has far less hiker / cyclist user conflict than Redwood, and the no-bikes trails are far less aggressive than those at Lime Ridge / Shell Ridge / Briones / Redwood.
    Lime and Shell ridge are both Walnut Creek Open Space, not EBRPD. Just FYI.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Lime and Shell ridge are both Walnut Creek Open Space, not EBRPD. Just FYI.
    Oh wow, thanks for the correction. I remember stopping there once near the start of a no-bikes singletrack, which a hiker pointed out for me - I just kinda figured it was East Bay Parks

Does WC Open Space follow the same 'no bikes on singletrack' blanket rule that East Bay Parks generally follows?

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member
    Yes, WC Open Space is squrely "anti-bike" in that regard, but don't expect the same level of enforcement, especially at night.

Shell Ridge butts right up against Diablo Foothills Regional Park, an EBRPD park, can be kinda confusing differentiating the 2..
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Sucks about the Briones trail destruction. Wish we had the same rights as cows.

I have been seeing A LOT of "wildlife" cameras out on the EBPRD narrow trails lately. Makes me wonder if it's mountain bikers or mountain lions they want pictures of.
    The increase in remote cameras on EBRPD trails is due to required wildlife monitoring of fuels reduction areas. When the park district received federal money to thin eucalyptus a couple years back, it came with a caveat that they also had to monitor potential impacts on wildlife - specifically, comparing treated vs. non-treated areas. You'll notice that the cameras are on hiking trails at about knee-height, which is where you place cameras to catch animals that walk on all fours (and yes, animals prefer human trails to crawling through blackberry). Y'all really needn't worry, the most you can see are usually your wheels and frame. Think about this logically - how would anyone identify you and trace illegal riding back to you? Not a thing. Park police do use trail cameras for security, but only at parking lots and remote sites to try and catch plate #s for vehicle break-ins. Leave your silly ski masks at home, and please do not start a lynch mob against the cameras - they're for the critters.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    The increase in remote cameras on EBRPD trails is due to required wildlife monitoring of fuels reduction areas. When the park district received federal money to thin eucalyptus a couple years back, it came with a caveat that they also had to monitor potential impacts on wildlife - specifically, comparing treated vs. non-treated areas. You'll notice that the cameras are on hiking trails at about knee-height, which is where you place cameras to catch animals that walk on all fours (and yes, animals prefer human trails to crawling through blackberry). Y'all really needn't worry, the most you can see are usually your wheels and frame. Think about this logically - how would anyone identify you and trace illegal riding back to you? Not a thing. Park police do use trail cameras for security, but only at parking lots and remote sites to try and catch plate #s for vehicle break-ins. Leave your silly ski masks at home, and please do not start a lynch mob against the cameras - they're for the critters.
    This makes sense. Thank you for the insight. Folks are understandably paranoid but haven't heard of a person getting a citation for game camera footage.

There was that hiker that got caught though with game cameras booby trapping a trail at night.
    IPA will save America

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Wish we had the same rights as cows.
    This right here. Cow's have done untold damage to our local parks - completely destroying native grasslands - what you see out there ain't native. They've completely killed off the native bunch grasses and other flora that once populated our hillsides.

Yet us mountain bikers don't get the same access and these big-headed bovines.

I think I'll pull a Rachel dolezal and start self identifying as a bull.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Okay, I think the best way to get singletrack access is dress up like a cow. Anyone want to start shredding all the good DH singletrack on a Tandem Mt bike with me? You have to dress up as the ass end of a cow. I get the head, and steering.

Uncle
    So long as this is being filmed as a way to bring humor and light to the access issue, I'm game to be the ass end on the tandem.
    Every rose has it's thorn.

enjoy the ear worm

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    So long as this is being filmed as a way to bring humor and light to the access issue, I'm game to be the ass end on the tandem.
    I have a tandem. Can’t help with the cow suit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I saw 2 Oakland Police Officers at Joaquin Miller Park in uniform with bikes sitting on a bench at the Sequoia Bayview Trailhead last week early afternoon on a weekday. It did look like they were on duty.

I did not see them again on my ride of a few laps around the park, and I personally saw or heard no signs of ticketing. Perhaps they were there to prevent car break-ins? This is the first time I've seen OPD at Joaquin Miller. They seemed pretty relaxed, and I'm not sure if they really entered the park or just hung out on the bench and left.