mtbr member
    Jun 2009

East coaster hitting Berkeley

headed to Berkeley for almost an entire work week for my job. I ride mtb, cross, and road. if i rent a bike for something in the area, which of those style rides would you recommend? What's best and/or easiest i suppose, and where.

and shops - Mike's Bikes looks like a solid place, yes?

thanks for any thoughts!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mtb after work is great. Not sure if Wrench Science rent, but that is a good shop

Side-o
    Last edited by Loll; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quick close by ride would be Joaquin Miller park. Small but you can loop it as many times as you'd like.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    Wrench Science does demos for sure and they are in Berkeley.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    headed to Berkeley for almost an entire work week for my job. I ride mtb, cross, and road. if i rent a bike for something in the area, which of those style rides would you recommend? What's best and/or easiest i suppose, and where.

thanks for any thoughts!
    Bring a good bike lock...and never let your bike out of your site. The mountain biking is ok there...and there is some good road riding. I'm sure you can get someone local to show you around.

mtbr member
    Rent a cross bike if you want to stay in the east bay hills. Not much MTB. Good road and cross rides to be had. You can link Tilden, Briones, Redwood and J Miller.

mtbr member
    +1 for JMP. I've only been there once but it was fun, especially if it's a short drive for you.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    As a Berkeley resident, the mountain biking here is long on scenery and beauty, and long on steep and otherwise terrible fire roads, but very short on actual decent trails. The road riding in the hills is quite nice, once you get up to the hills. We have two large beautiful parks in the hills behind us (Tilden and Wildcat Canyon) with zero good bike-legal trails (the only somewhat-decent legal trails up there, Vollmer Peak and Havey Canyon, are both semi-destroyed from the heavy winter). All the rest of the singletrack is closed to bikes. Joaquin Miller in Oakland is about 12 miles from my house by road and is the closest halfway decent MTB. Some real fun to be had there but the trails are densely packed and often crowded with hikers. For a more intense MTB ride you need to get in the car and drive to Marin, Santa Cruz, the Penninsula, Sonoma County, etc.

That makes me smart
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    Mtb after work is great. Not sure if Wrench Science rent, but that is a good shop

Side-o
    You edited your post, but still couldn't have it make sense?

mtbr member
    Honestly, Berkeley and Oakland have great road rides, and pretty mediocre mountain biking. Sure there's a couple fun, short trails at JMP, but if you're coming from somewhere with good trail systems, you will probably be underwhelmed.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Honestly, Berkeley and Oakland have great road rides, and pretty mediocre mountain biking. Sure there's a couple fun, short trails at JMP, but if you're coming from somewhere with good trail systems, you will probably be underwhelmed.
    I concur. JMP is very cool for actually being within the city limits of a good sized city, and there are certainly lots of illegal-for-mountain-bikes trails that would make this statement inaccurate if opened to mountain bikes, but.... The East Bay's saving grace is that it's close by car to a lot of good mountain bike trail systems. But, you need a car, and you need to time traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post

thanks for any thoughts!
    Cross the bridge to Fairfax and rent at Fairfax Cylery, ride Tamarancho. Ride the flow trail until you're tired.

Rentals - Fairfax Cyclery, Marin County, CA 415-721-7644

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just moved to East Bay and I second crossing the Richmond bridge and doing Tamarancho or China Camp. If you have more time Anadel to the North/Skeggs Point to the south on the peninsula.