mtbr member

East Bay Night Riding

Once again my employer believes that I am worthy of more training and education on the company dime. That normally means a few days spent in glorious San Leandro. I get three days this week, Mon - Wed.
    I normally take a bike and do a few laps around Lake Chabot after class. However, this time of year, that will require lights. In retrospect, I don't think they have ever sent me to S.L. during the winter time. It's usually somewhere like Indy or Columbus Indiana when I get sent out in the winter.
    Does EBRPD allow night riding?
    And if not, do you get away with it anyways?
    Wait a minute, they might be reading this. Don't answer that last question if riding at night is frowned upon.

The real bummer is the timing. My companies training center is just down the road from Drakes Brewing. But they aren't open on Mondays or Tuesdays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    East Bay Parks curfew is 10 PM, so night riding is fine. Several shops (Endless in Castro Valley, Cycle Pros in Pleasanton, and Encina in Concord / Clayton) hold them regularly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another concern this time of year is how much rain has fallen and when,east bay adobe sticks to everything . Chabot is a good place to night ride.

mtb'er
    C'mon Brew... haven't you learned anything from our local bike haters? Night riding is illegal and the reason why animals abandon our parks and stop raising their young

Park Watch Report -=- Article Better headlights and shorter daylight hours increase illegal nighttime mountain biking

Other than that, all I can say is Ench-fray Ail-tray in Edwood-Ray.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    C'mon Brew... haven't you learned anything from our local bike haters? Night riding is illegal and the reason why animals abandon our parks and stop raising their young
    Of course. What was I thinking. I'm so stupid.
    Ends up its a moot point. Class comes with heavy amounts of homework. I'm going to be up late cramming.

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Paper or plastic?

Park Watch Report -=- Article Better headlights and shorter daylight hours increase illegal nighttime mountain biking

That article was for state parks I believe. While the EBRPD is not the most single track friendly district, it's really cool with night riding and rarely uses radar to pop people up (never seen one).
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Crazed Country Rebel

Look up gene hackman on strava.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So...kinda off topic, but is there any "legal" night riding down in the south bay 'round San Jose?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^ i'm interested too. I know Alum Rock and Ed Levin are definitely closed after sunset.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    That article was for state parks I believe. While the EBRPD is not the most single track friendly district, it's really cool with night riding and rarely uses radar to pop people up (never seen one).
    Yeah I realize that. Since Brew and I are in the 916, which is where that horsey website is based, I thought I'd share that infuriating and silly link... not that it has anything to do with the Bay Area. Redwood was my stomping grounds in the 90's. On my very first night ride ('93?), I was lightless, on my MB-3, sandwiched between two buddies with lights. Dropping down Madrone was scary, especially if I fell behind the lead rider. A few years later, a few of us were dropping down Madrone (at night) and a helicopter with a search light showed up. We killed our lights, and weren't quite certain they were looking for us. I think we waited in the dark for over a half hour till they went away.

Gene Hackman... yuk yuk yuk

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Ends up its a moot point. Class comes with heavy amounts of homework. I'm going to be up late cramming.

That may be for the best. I was going to pack up for a ride when I got home at 7PM tonight and it was already down to 42 degrees. Fack that. Opened a Drakes IPA instead.
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Look up gene hackman on strava.
    Its non-legal singletrack in Redwood Park. Seeing as how it criss-crosses French Trail (which, if legal could possibly be the best EB singletrack) it is tempting but being in my early 40's, I leave it for those who don't mind the risk of tickets and wrath of Redwood hikers. I don't actually ride any illegal singletrack because 1. It makes the mtb crowd look pretty bad and 2. At my age, I'd just feel like a chump if I got a ticket and if I run across hikers, have no legit excuse to offer, risk confrontation, and feel like a jerk.

I don't know, I guess I just remember riding French Trail with a couple friends a dozen years ago and coming across a hiker with dogs. He stood aside to let us go by (no other choice really), looked at us while shaking hs head and quietly said, "You know, you guys are fu*ked up..." I was bringing up the rear but my friend in front, rather than stay quiet or apologize, retorted, "Well, fu*k you!" I then saw us through the hikers eyes and his expression and realized it was lame, and not right.

It's funny how the mention of one trail makes me remember that.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Ollie G, exact opposite happened at Tamarancho

I was on Bicycle only trail and came upon a hiker. I thought to myself after all of these years of being harassed, I could unload on a guy that was not supposed to be on that trail. I made a joke about it to him, and we both had a laugh, and spent a minute or 2 talking. Cool guy, doing his thing. Most of us just are not richards.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Night riding is illegal and the reason why animals abandon our parks and stop raising their young

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by coxodoina View Post
    Night riding is illegal and the reason why animals abandon our parks and stop raising their young
    That is no way to refer to native Oaklanders.

And to tell the truth - they abandon they young cause they on crack!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Does the night riding scare animals? You are joking?

Or is it the 8 lane highways cutting through the hills? Hmmmm.

inner peace to make peace

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    That is no way to refer to native Oaklanders.

And to tell the truth - they abandon they young cause they on crack!
    oh and it's not because they are on welfare, free money (not the paid-in "insurances"), and having more children bring more free money and subsidized housing?
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Didnt oakland have like over a dozen shootings just this last weekend with several homicides? Crazy doesnt explain how crazy it is out there...

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie_G View Post
    Its non-legal singletrack in Redwood Park. Seeing as how it criss-crosses French Trail (which, if legal could possibly be the best EB singletrack) it is tempting but being in my early 40's, I leave it for those who don't mind the risk of tickets and wrath of Redwood hikers. I don't actually ride any illegal singletrack because 1. It makes the mtb crowd look pretty bad and 2. At my age, I'd just feel like a chump if I got a ticket and if I run across hikers, have no legit excuse to offer, risk confrontation, and feel like a jerk.

I don't know, I guess I just remember riding French Trail with a couple friends a dozen years ago and coming across a hiker with dogs. He stood aside to let us go by (no other choice really), looked at us while shaking hs head and quietly said, "You know, you guys are fu*ked up..." I was bringing up the rear but my friend in front, rather than stay quiet or apologize, retorted, "Well, fu*k you!" I then saw us through the hikers eyes and his expression and realized it was lame, and not right.

It's funny how the mention of one trail makes me remember that.
    I just dont see how riding some sweet ST Is f'ed up?
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

pro leisure tour
    Most East Bay Parks are legal until 10 o'clock. Then when they lock the gates and go home all the trails are legal. Under the light of the full moon you don't even have to give your position away with a headlight. At least that's what someone told me.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours