mtbr member
    Jun 2010

To Early Morning Riders: you see snakes/lizards a lot?

I went to Stevens Creek/Fremont Older real early today(8AM, very early at least for me). On the single tracks in Fremont Older I saw 3 snakes (~3ft long) and two large lizards (foot long without counting their tails).

I don't like these stuffs. Just seeing them sends chills to my spine. And on two occasions I almost run over them.

So I wonder, do you guys see a lot of snake sunbathing in the morning sun a lot when you do early morning rides? If you run over a snake will it turn over and bite your ankle?

I really don't know what snake I saw today. I am not that of a snake persons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidation View Post
    I went to Stevens Creek/Fremont Older real early today(8AM, very early at least for me). On the single tracks in Fremont Older I saw 3 snakes (~3ft long) and two large lizards (foot long without counting their tails).

I don't like these stuffs. Just seeing them sends chills to my spine. And on two occasions I almost run over them.

So I wonder, do you guys see a lot of snake sunbathing in the morning sun a lot when you do early morning rides? If you run over a snake will it turn over and bite your ankle?

I really don't know what snake I saw today. I am not that of a snake persons.
    I usually ride there after work 4-5ish, and have seen a few of these guys. I saw this one on the way up from the parking lot a few weeks ago - Cora Older Trail. That's about 1/2 of him before he snuck away.

Interestingly enough, on the way back the same day, I saw a dude hiking up the same trail with a python wrapped around his shoulders. You know, just chillin up the trail, friday afternoon, no harm no foul. I should've taken that pic...

To Early Morning Riders: you see snakes/lizards a lot?-fosnake.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I heard that the python problems in the Florida Everglades was from pet owner lost/released those big snakes into a place that they have no predators. If pythons becoming an invasive species here in the Santa Cruz mountains, i will quit mountain bikng all together.
    Still my question left unanswered: if our bike run over the snake,will it turn over and bite us?
    Quote Originally Posted by ravb View Post
    I usually ride there after work 4-5ish, and have seen a few of these guys. I saw this one on the way up from the parking lot a few weeks ago - Cora Older Trail. That's about 1/2 of him before he snuck away.

Interestingly enough, on the way back the same day, I saw a dude hiking up the same trail with a python wrapped around his shoulders. You know, just chillin up the trail, friday afternoon, no harm no foul. I should've taken that pic...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOSnake.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	795571

Type A
    Learn to respect the snakes and lizards. You are riding in their living room. Mountain biking is a lot more dangerous than the creatures you are encountering.

Is this thing on?

No chance of pythons becoming a problem around here it's way to cold and dry for them. I see tons of lizards riding FO and other places around here. A few snakes and a rattler now and again. You only need to worry about the rattlers. Even they shouldn't be a big concern, you have to really try or be very unlucky to be bitten.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This is what you have to really worry about! And, hell yea they can bite you if you roll over them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails To Early Morning Riders: you see snakes/lizards a lot?-bigazzsnake.jpg  

The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Lately I have been seeing a lot of banana slugs. I see some bunnies scurrying in and out of the bushes beside the trail sometimes too.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    The last thing a snake wants to do is bite you, trust me.

But you should:

1. Learn how to bunny hop so you don't hurt the snake and

2. Google pictures of rattlesnakes so that you know what you're dealing with.

Usually, when they're taking a sunbath out on the trail they're pretty lethargic--nothing to worry about! Now MidPen rangers, there's something to worry about...
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Most of the snakes I've seen have been the early riser types,however the mean ones tend to be the late to rise types. Could there be a connection?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Holy Crap! Where is this? Florida? It looks like it's not the first time this happen to these people. The red shirt guy is so brave in handling this gigantic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    This is what you have to really worry about! And, hell yea they can bite you if you roll over them.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008

I've only seen snakes riding up Prospect road to get to FO in the morning. Funny enough they all wear spandex and had some bits of carbon between their tails. Seems like a species that's in constant danger of being run over and very difficult to bunny hop. In all seriousness, I really haven't really seen snakes out early morning at FO, it's usually mid afternoon on the fire road or wider ST. Saw this guy out at Long Ridge around 6pm:To Early Morning Riders: you see snakes/lizards a lot?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367592666.149750.jpg

Paper or plastic?
    On my sun rise road rides, I often see skunks and once in a great while, a fox.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Snakes come out at mission peak as early as 5:30. I rode right next to a big one without even knowing it.

Rode over a snake at Alum Rock once. The snake was more dazed and confused after the incident than ever. Plus you are usually cruising 15mph and is too fast to bite you after two separate wheels roll over their body.

8am is actually very late for snakes considering how hot it gets these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think it's just the time of year and the warm weather. I've seen three snakes in the past week on the trail (2 gopher snakes, one rattlesnake -- last one in Waterdog), which is way more than usual.

mtbr member
    I saw a California Mountain King snake on the trail at Saratoga Gap. Beautiful snake, I moved it off the trail. It looks like a coral snake, which is poisonous (yellow meets red, kills you dead), except the bands have a different order. As a kid I would have kept it as a pet.

(Not my photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Northern Ringneck (taken on Windy Hill earlier this week)
    [/URL]

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just Rode the Olmsted loop. We saw about 5 snakes. 2 gopher 3 Gardner. Thankfully no rattlers today.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post
    I saw a California Mountain King snake on the trail at Saratoga Gap. Beautiful snake, I moved it off the trail. It looks like a coral snake, which is poisonous (yellow meets red, kills you dead), except the bands have a different order. As a kid I would have kept it as a pet.

(Not my photo)
    "Red touching black is a friend of Jack, Red touching yellow can kill a fellow." That's a great sighting!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Weird huh?
    I saw some Santa Cruz Mtn Albinos on my climb up Hicks road this morning...
    And don't do the burrito jump... Francois

Rogue Exterminator
    If you run over a snake will it turn over and bite your ankle?
    If you do it on purpose, I hope it does.

Seriously, I have dealt with snakes for years.
    Used to have a few dozen various reptiles and would volunteer taking them around educating children with them.

I would always stress that unless you know exactly what you are dealing with stay away from it. So please if the fact that you should not needlessly kill a snake just because you don't like them isn't enough reason not to do it than just avoid hitting it for your own safety because it is very much a possibility that it could bite you.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    I heard that the python problems in the Florida Everglades was from pet owner lost/released those big snakes into a place that they have no predators. If pythons becoming an invasive species here in the Santa Cruz mountains, i will quit mountain bikng all together.
    Pythons are not indigenous to Florida and yes they are becoming a problem.
    However, that being said, I guarantee they have been released all over the country but just don't survive. The conditions in Florida are perfect for their survival but not so much in Santa Cruz.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post

(Not my photo)
    Looks exactly like the pic I posted. Maybe even the same guy. I'm a snake noob