Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

dumb hitch rack question

So after hitting my carport yet again with a bike on the roof of my car, I've decided to get a hitch rack. For the record, the Yakima High Roller rack worked fine and it broke on impact, which saved the carbon road bike, so that's good.

I need to get a trailer hitch receiver for my Subaru. Is this something I can put on easily myself? Go to the dealer? Go to a muffler shop? Do I need to go to "Trailer Hitch Receiver Review.com" to find the best one, or are they all about the same?

Gracias
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Uhaul. I've never found it cheaper.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Uhaul or similar. Cheap, fast, sturdy. Just make sure to get 2" instead of 1 1/4" if it will fit on your vehicle.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    It depends on which Subaru you have. Some can be more difficult to get a hitch mounted. I have an Outback POS and ordered a 2" hitch from etrailer. It was very easy to put on. According to internet rumors a lot of hitches from different brands are manufactured by the same company and just labeled with the brand's sticker.

Elitest thrill junkie
    1.125 is fine. Unless you have a big truck, you don't want to be putting 4 bikes on the back anyway, as it will cause the rear to sag way low and the front to be way high.

Some hitches are easy to put on, some are a pain and require some modifications. The one I put on my camaro took an honest 30 min and was easy as heck, the one on my subaru took a little more work due to the exhaust and some other stuff. Uhaul is a good idea.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    1.125 is fine. Unless you have a big truck, you don't want to be putting 4 bikes on the back anyway, as it will cause the rear to sag way low and the front to be way high.

Some hitches are easy to put on, some are a pain and require some modifications. The one I put on my camaro took an honest 30 min and was easy as heck, the one on my subaru took a little more work due to the exhaust and some other stuff. Uhaul is a good idea.
    True re: the 4 bikes. If you ever want to tow a small trailer, a 2" gives you more options. There are no advantages to 1 1/4".

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    1 1/4" is fine, but 2" is better, if you can get it, even for mounting a hitch rack. Just don't think your Subaru is suddenly a class III towing vehicle. And I agree with the advice against 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The 1 1/4" you will be stuck with getting a hitchrack they holds the bikes from their toptube if you want to carry more than 2 bikes.

If you only want to carry 2 bikes, then you can find a 2 bike platform that works with the 1 1/4", otherwise you will need 2" for a 4 bike platform but then again I doubt the Subaru is rated for this.

I got my hitch from Uhaul and had them install it on my Ford Focus, I got the Yakima Doubledown 4. I've only had 3 bikes on it and it works fine. Although a platform would be nice but more money and harder to store in my small apartment
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    I just had a 1 1/4 receiver hitch put on my Jetta by Eyers in San Jose. Trailer Hitches - Eyers Hitch Center Inc., the Trailer Hitch Experts, located in Santa Clara CA.
    I don't have access to ramps or a lift so I just left the pros do it. Took one day for them to order it, 45 mins for them to install, easy peasy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I bought a Curt Class III 2" receiver hitch from Amazon for $112. Uhaul sells Curt hitches. Put it on myself (I have a 2011 Forester) in about 45 minutes. Of course, the Forester has high ground clearance and I didn't need to jack it up. I only haul 2 bikes but I wanted the versatility of the 2" receiver. The Forester is very limited as to tongue weight (200lbs) and trailer weight but the class III will NOT bend when hitting bumps on forest service roads. I'd be worried some about a Class II hitch. Go with the Curt Class III if it fits on your Subaru.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. I'll check out uhaul this week.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    I got my hitch from e-trailer, it is a curt 2". I have a Tuareg and the only way to put it on is to remove the bumber and to do that I had to remove the tailights. I didn't trust U-haul but took it to a local body shop because I figured they had the most experience with removing all that stuff. they finished it in 45 min and washed my car for me
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Slowest Rider
    Like others say, get the strongest class hitch you can find for your car. Get a 2" receiver if at all possible - they're much stronger with more options.

Your bike and rack are a lot less weight than a 2000 lb trailer. But the trailer only puts 10% or 15% of the weight on the receiver, or ~200 lbs. And that weight is up close to the hitch. The bikes and long rack stick out longer and put much greater torque from the long lever arm - many times greater than a trailer. And if you ever go to 4 bikes, which may not be possible with your car, you'll get a lot of droop and scraping on driveways even with the strongest hitch.

My 4-bike rack actually cracked my car's unibody sheet metal frame from the stress. I had my car frame fixed and reinforced with 1/4" thick steel plates welded on the surface. I also had my Class III hitch cut up and reworked to make it twice as stiff with cross beams, as well as tilt up a few degrees more for clearance. Now my bikes don't droop and stay free of driveways and don't wobble while driving.

Good hitches can be found at etrailer.com. Installation can be as simple as a couple bolts, or a nightmare. I've had both. Look at the installation instructions and videos to decide. On one car, I had to hacksaw a few items at a bad angle among other issues which took hours to install, and the hitch fit was poor, and is what ultimately caused my frame to crack along with the high torque. If I'd had a professional installation, I'd have recourse.

These days I use Rack N Road. They've been able to handle unusual problems, like installing my roof rack without having the proper landing. And they can help with all other needs like cargo boxes and bike racks and locks with a common key for all. But I've had success with others such as U-Haul to just install the hitch.

My frame ripped from the receiver hitch. This is the right hand side - the rear bumper is on the right.

With welded plates to fix and reinforce:
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    on a subaru the factory hitch is far superior to the aftermarket receivers. the subaru one will replace the stock bumper beam which results in a much cleaner looking install and minimal additional weight.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had the Subaru towbar, worked well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    When I was researching hitches and racks for my Prius, I went to a Prius-specific forum and found a number of folks passing on their personal experiences.

This was great because it was all Prius only.

I imagine there are Subaru forums around too?
    But... seeing as how Subarus seem to be favored by MTBers, I figure you might find plenty of personal experience here as well.

I have put hitches on myself and used UHaul... and my experiences with both have been good ones.

Just a note... with the Prius, there was some issue regarding certain hitch manufacturers and how their hitches required some body mod because of the exhaust.
    I found out there was a manufacturer (one of the regular, large ones) who made a hitch that did not require any mods and my local UHaul had that one in stock.

mtbr member
    Things to look for in a rack.

Tailgate access!
    I put a bicycle rack on the back of my truck, then I found out that I had to unload the bike, remove the rack, then get into the back of my camper shell. Some of the newer racks can tilt out to access the back of a car or truck. My solution was to put a bike rack on the front of my truck.

Anti-Rocking Anti-Tilt
    I'm sure many of the new racks have a built in "rock lock" or "anti tilt" device. I haul a 270 lb motorcycle on the back of my truck and keeping it from rocking was a bit of effort. I bought one of these on eBay for $19.99 (usually 29.99). Best $20 I've spent in a long time. Works great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    agree with the others, just have uhaul install the hitch and you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Not sure which Subaru you have but try to get the highest class hitch you can get. I recently installed a class I hitch on my 02 WRX because that's the only one they make and it's scary trying to carry 2 bikes on a Yakima stick-up. When the rack is mounted on the hitch I can lean on the rack and see the receiver flex!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    on a subaru the factory hitch is far superior to the aftermarket receivers. the subaru one will replace the stock bumper beam which results in a much cleaner looking install and minimal additional weight.
    I'm looking at getting a hitch for my new Outback and have done a bit of research. The factory hitch is very superior - has many more mounting points and requires no drilling to install (IIRC). I didn't chose it because it's twice the price and I'm not ever planning on towing and the install requires removing many more parts (which is probably why it's a $695 dealer option at purchase).

I had an appointment with RackNRoad to install a hitch on Saturday but they didn't get to me because they got behind trying to pull apart an Audi Q7 (Audis are apparently a nightmare to disassemble). The guy (WIll) in the San Carlos shop seemed to really know his stuff so earned my trust.

Most of the aftermarket hitches seem to be a fairly easy self-install - etrailer.com has some great videos customized for specific car models - I'd rather leave messing with the car to professionals so I'm opting to pay for the install.

BTW, RackNRoad quoted $120 labor on the install.

Blargen
    Bought a Curt class III 2" hitch from etrailer.com last week. Total shipped was $150. Installed in 30 minutes (4 bolts) on my SUV. Rack and Road quoted $300 out the door, "on sale". Put the saved $150 into a better rack...and beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I found a youtube installation video for the Curt hitch for my wife's make and year of car. It was stupid simple so I just ordered the hitch and installed it myself. I would have spent more time driving to the uhaul place. Do some searching and see how big a deal it is in your specific circumstance.

sock skeleton
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I got my hitch from e-trailer, it is a curt 2". I have a Tuareg and the only way to put it on is to remove the bumber and to do that I had to remove the tailights. I didn't trust U-haul but took it to a local body shop because I figured they had the most experience with removing all that stuff. they finished it in 45 min and washed my car for me

sfgiantsfan,

Dude ,

Touareg's are a beast. I drove down to San Diego with my buddy who has one and he was pulling a 19' Airstream. He got pulled over for doing 90 mph on I-5. I swear I could not feel the trailer.

mtbr member

Dude ,

Touareg's are a beast. I drove down to San Diego with my buddy who has one and he was pulling a 19' Airstream. He got pulled over for doing 90 mph on I-5. I swear I could not feel the trailer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's a lot of fun, one of the fastest cars I've driven once it gets going, great off road too. Gas sucks and maintenance really sucks but I love itdumb hitch rack question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339481288.925066.jpgdumb hitch rack question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339481312.153892.jpg
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post
    So after hitting my carport yet again with a bike on the roof of my car, I've decided to get a hitch rack. For the record, the Yakima High Roller rack worked fine and it broke on impact, which saved the carbon road bike, so that's good.

I need to get a trailer hitch receiver for my Subaru. Is this something I can put on easily myself? Go to the dealer? Go to a muffler shop? Do I need to go to "Trailer Hitch Receiver Review.com" to find the best one, or are they all about the same?

Gracias
    Still trying to figure out which part of your question is dumb...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast