Totally, and to the max.

Dream Rides: What's Yours?

We've all got them. Rides of dreams. Rides of fantasy. Rides of epic proportions. Rides to die for. We live on a planet of dirt and rock and a bike can take us to the ends of the earth. So my question is, where you dream of riding? And I don't really mean 'where would you like to ride, but never will?' I mean, where will you dream of riding and then actually ride there? Let's hear it! There are so many places and so many trails, tell us yours and let us be inspired by your quest for adventure. For starters, I'll tell you mine and we can go from there.

Past Dream Rides:

July 1-3 2003
    Tahoe Rim Trail
    Rode 3 days on the TRT solo and unupported, riding 100 miles with a 30 lb. pack on my back, camping at 8500 feet each day.

June 26-July 3, 2004
    San Juan Hut System
    Seven day ride with wife from Telluride, CO to Moab, UT. The ride was less about the riding and more about the scenery and downtime. Richelle rode like a madwoman and still had enough energy to make spam fajitas. Mmmm, tasty.

May 24-July 3, 2005
    Europe bike trip from Amsterdam to Geneva
    Richelle and I ride 1100 miles from Amsterdam, NL to Geneva, Switzerland. We assembled our bikes at the airport and pedalled from there, pullling a BOB trailer along bike paths, scenic byways and lonely country roads. We visited countless towns and cities, staying in hostels, inns, bars, and French chateaus. Every moment was magical.

Summer 2010
    Our plan. CHINA. We hope to pedal China. In the same way we rode Europe. No set plan. No expectations. Just some airfare, some immunizations, and some bikes. And the hope that somehow, this will fulfill a new dream. A dream to touch a land that has been disconnected from the rest of the world, for so many years. A dream to live for and to die for.

What's yours?

mtbr member
    Ride in every country in the America's. O yeah... Btw, Kyle, what are you doing up @ midnight? Don't you have a newborn baby girl...!? But, yeah, I'd love to hit every country in basically from Canada down to Costa Rica down to the tip of Chile, and maybe ride all the way back, too!
    Last edited by Stumpy_Steve; 07-14-2007 at 10:05 AM.

jms
    mtbr member

Pinecrest peak

Great thread! My favorite to date: Strawberry Store up to, and down Pinecrest Peak trail. I'm thinking back in Oregon @ Oakridge/Westfir might be my new fav....
    Road: The "Paso Roubaix" - a road route with @ 30 miles of dirt climbing and descending out of Paso Robles, toward Cambria, then Cayucos, then back toward Templeton and then into P.R. again.
    P.S. hope allis well with the new family member.

mtbr member
    It's been a long long long time since I've ridden an EPIC trail (besides the ones here in NorCal). The last one I remember dreaming about that I actually rode is Trail 260 in Northern Arizona. There is a special place in my heart for that trail, fast fun technical singletrack with an epic feel. I also dream about the Desert Classic at South Mountain. I remember calling it an easy trail until I rode it again last December. It's 10x more technical then the stuff I ride out here, I actually went OTB going up hill! I was blown away by that. Since I have been watching the Tour de France every morning with Cate, I've been dreaming of road riding in the Alps (blasphemy I know).

I have also been dreaming of a road trip to the Crested Butte. There where photos a while back on the boards of people riding single track with the monstrous mountains in the background. I thought it looked like heaven for mountain bikers. Plus I could bring a road bike and do some road riding too. Give me a two week vacation in the mountains and I would be in heaven (not taking into account the elevation but dreams are not based in reality). The best would be driving an RV from here to Colorado hitting the best trails along the way. I'm pretty sure I won't have a chance to do that unless I win the lottery.

But to be quite honest with you, I was cooped up all day yesterday with my newborn (who has oral thrush) and it looks like today will be more of the same. So just riding any trail right now would feel like a dream.

K-max have you hit the trails since Mackenzie was born? I've been to the Gap twice so far and a bunch of road miles pulling my 2 year old in the Burley. I might push for Skeggs tomorrow.

(Damn good thread by the way!)

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    mine?.....the GDR (Great Divide Race).....2500 miles in 25 days (or less)...100% self supported....i'm shooting for 2009......
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Totally, and to the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    up @ midnight?
    Oh yeah! When the baby sleeps, the daddy plays! After she's been fed, she usually crashes out for three hours. It's allowed me to get tons of house work done, and even go for a few rides.

Totally, and to the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Pinecrest Peak trail.
    Man, I've gotta get my nomad up there one of these days. From what I've read about the trail, it sounds pretty wicked. Good job on the Puff, by the way!

Totally, and to the max.
    That's pretty impressive, Nick. But I have a feeling you'll tackle it. I have officially taken you off the poseur list.

Here's another fattie that you can train for:

http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/alas...home_page.html

Totally, and to the max.
    Crested Butte. Yep, that place is on my longterm hit list as well. But needing the lottery to get there? Nonsense. For 1400 bucks, you could rent an RV for a week with enough miles to get to and from CO. Throw in an extra 800 or so for gas. A few hunny for food and drink since you can make your own meals. So you're looking at maybe 2500. Go with just one other bud and it's 1,250. Bring someone else and now you're at 833. We'll assume you're using PTO so no lost wages. Mom comes over to hang out with wife and kids, and you're off to Crested Butte! So when are we going?

(wish it was that easy. but it is possible...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    Crested Butte. Yep, that place is on my longterm hit list as well. But needing the lottery to get there? Nonsense. For 1400 bucks, you could rent an RV for a week with enough miles to get to and from CO. Throw in an extra 800 or so for gas. A few hunny for food and drink since you can make your own meals. So you're looking at maybe 2500. Go with just one other bud and it's 1,250. Bring someone else and now you're at 833. We'll assume you're using PTO so no lost wages. Mom comes over to hang out with wife and kids, and you're off to Crested Butte! So when are we going?

(wish it was that easy. but it is possible...)
    I wish it was this easy too...

Medium?
    Summer 2010
    Our plan. CHINA. We hope to pedal China. In the same way we rode Europe. No set plan. No expectations. Just some airfare, some immunizations, and some bikes. And the hope that somehow, this will fulfill a new dream. A dream to touch a land that has been disconnected from the rest of the world, for so many years. A dream to live for and to die for.
    I've been here enough times to recommend strongly against it. It's a big place. On a bike you won't see 1% of the country. It is firmly routed in the 3rd world. They don't have "Chinese Food" here. It is polluted and smoggy.

Fly through Shanghai. Shanghainese food is great. The city is a lot like SF. Visit Beijing. We went to Tienamen Sq and Forbidden City, which is amazingly huge. Check it out in Google Earth. Then we took a break before going to the Summer Palace. Great Wall has a few sections that are less touristy that are on my ToDo list. Most of Beijing is like the San Fernando Valley or Riverside. Boe-oh-oring and very repetitive. You could bring your bike, but it would be in danger of getting ripped off. It would be cool to have for about 5% of the trip. I'd ride to work if I had a bike here, but I'd leave it in my room or my office.

Other than that, get your ass to Tibet and Nepal. At least there's beauty, clean air there and it's not wall-to-wall polluting industries, even if there's still some poverty. There will be less trucks (they expect you to get out of the way and will not yield to save your life) and less people.

Outside of a major city, and to some extent inside, you need to speak Chinese or you can't ask directions or order food. We get by by handing Taxi drivers pre-printed addresses in Chinese.

Oh, and your 3yo is going to be pissed...

Did you read my thread about riding in Hong Kong? It's linked from the "Kmax Jr" thread. That's about the closest I've got to a dream ride for now. I haven't been to BC or Moab. That canyon in Mexico where MTB Bill went looked cool. I'll probably ride up and visit your baby over the weekend, but that's not all that ambitious.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 07-15-2007 at 07:37 PM.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    I've dreaming/lusting on the 800 mile NorCal Loop Race for a few days and can't seem to shake it loose.

No dreams of winning. Just the ride and finishing.

http://home.pacbell.net/hillmann/NorCalLoop/race.html

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

aka baycat
    Did one of mine less than a month ago.

Besides that ride the whole Coastal Trail in California up to the Oregon Border, work in progress

mtbr member

Perfect Cycling Trail

From Canada to Mexico....that would be my idea of fun. Worlds Longest Poach
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member

June 26-July 3, 2004
    San Juan Hut System
    Seven day ride with wife from Telluride, CO to Moab, UT. The ride was less about the riding and more about the scenery and downtime. Richelle rode like a madwoman and still had enough energy to make spam fajitas. Mmmm, tasty.
    I did the San Juan Hut ride in '91 or '92. Did yours include food stocked at the huts? Great experience but the support was spotty. At one of the huts, we had nothing but potatoes and tomato soup.

Do you know if it's still in operation?
    2007 Ibis Carbon Mojo

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough
    I did the San Juan Hut ride in '91 or '92. ... Do you know if it's still in operation?
    Yup. Perfect fodder for this thread: http://hollywoodonbike.blogspot.com

Sweat is just fat crying.

I wouldn't mind a ride...

...on this.

Yee (get it?) haw!!
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I'm really looking forward to MBOregon. Not just the ride, but the vibe of the whole weekend. I'm sorta burnt out from all the competitive riding, and now I just wanna, ride, chill, and maybe a little bit of competitive beverage consumption with 8trak and Chum! I guess Baycat can enter into the drinking competitions also.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    .....and maybe a little bit of competitive beverage consumption with 8trak and Chum! I guess Baycat can enter into the drinking competitions also.
    no tequila.....no.....no way....you keep that evil liquid away from me......give my share to Baycat.....BTW....totally awesome last year the way you and 8track partied the nite before the Waldo Lake loop......wish i had a pic...oh wait!.....i do...heh, heh...i'm a bastid......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

dude with orange car
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    no tequila.....no.....no way....you keep that evil liquid away from me......give my share to Baycat.....BTW....totally awesome last year the way you and 8track partied the nite before the Waldo Lake loop......wish i had a pic...oh wait!.....i do...heh, heh...i'm a bastid......
    Somehow, I don't think you'll be successful in avoiding tequila at MBO. Call me crazy, but I got a hunch.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Paper or plastic?
    Dream rides: checking out BC, the Alps, Crested Butte, Moab... So many rides, so little time.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Fruita for me. Not sure how I can fit it in this year. I'm not trying hard enough I guess.

MBO may have to do this year. Oooooooh, Don Julio!

Kyle. KTR 2008? 142mi and 24kft?
    Last edited by rensho; 07-18-2007 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    I've got a few in Colorado I'd like to do. Hopefully I'll be relocated in the next year, so thes might actually happen someday.

Kokopelli's trail. Fruita to Moab. About 140 miles, depending on how you start/finish it.

Those San Juan hut trips look like fun.

Colorado trail. Denver to Durango.

BC doesn't look too shabby either.